iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peeled branches

Started by Tam-i-am, March 19, 2017, 02:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Can someone tell me what causes this?  a bunch of small branches of my tulip tree are peeled from the end to the trunk.
Weather related?  Insect? 

sorry I tried to zoom but when I do it changes the format of the pic to something the forum won't accept.  On Monday I can get a better pic.

thanks for help.
Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

chestnut

I would guess porcupine if it was in my area.

Gearbox

That was my thought but the branches are too small to hold one up. Must be some small rodent . I know I know the snow got so deep the porkeys could stand on the snow and chew on them .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Tam-i-am

I thought porcupine as well but the branches could never support their weight.

what about this?  http://icwdm.org/wildlife/Squirrels/barkstripping.asp

JohnW

I can't see your peeled branches in the picture well enough to tell if they're dead or alive.  I see peeled branches from tulips trees quite a bit, here.  But these are dead branches, and it's the wind.  Incredibly, they make enough contact with other branches to get peeled almost perfect and complete.

Ron Scott

Do you have a lot of squirrels in the yard? They do that here to small limbs.
~Ron

Tam-i-am

the branches were alive a few days ago.  We do have an abundance of squirrels.  They are a real nuisance around here.  They managed to get into my attic this year.  They are in the barn.  They are everywhere. 

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ron Scott

Yes to squirrel activity. They will also nip tree leaves off at their stems later in the season.
~Ron

Tam-i-am

Thanks everybody!

I'm going to set some traps and go squirrel hunting this weekend and see what I get.

Weekend_Sawyer

Give the kids a couple of bb guns. Squirrels wont be safe for miles around.  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tam-i-am

Apparently Noah is a bad shot as he hasn't caught any.  My dogs like chasing them but have not caught any either.

But it will be my turn this weekend!

caveman

Weekend_Sawyer, I agree with the BB gun idea.  When I was a kid squirrels were scarce as hen's teeth (old saying) because Jmoore and I kept the critters thinned out with our Daisy 880's and Crossman's.  Now they are thick as thieves (0S) and eating loquats, acorns, peaches and whatever else. 

That was also my suggestion to dealing with the invasive snakes in South Florida-give each kid a BB gun, a little training and a small bounty for each one killed.
Caveman

Ox

Use the dogs to your benefit.  The tree rats will be watching the dog and circling to the other side of the tree to hide...where you are waiting.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!