iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ Boardwalk 40

Started by mailman, March 19, 2017, 12:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailman

Now that I'm looking at manual mills I've had several guys recommend an EZ Boardwalk 40. I cant find a lot of info online, but what I have seen has been all positive.
It looks like a good price, and it would be under roof and on a pad. I would probably build a foundation to set it up on as it looks like a lot of bending over, and it will be in a fixed spot for the most part.
I would probably build a rail system with rollers to load and feed logs.
I would also look at making toe boards and maybe a log roller (chain type would be nice).
I'll have a skid steer and 4wd tractor with forks to load and unload.
I would really like to see one operate in person if anyone has one in or near Ohio and doesn't mind showing it off. I know they will be 30 miles down the road from my house at the PB show, but I would like to find something sooner than that if possible.

Darrel

I'm like you, I've heard nothing but good about easy boardwalk. The only reason I don't have there 40 instead of woodmizer's 40 is the hydraulics.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

paul case

Good for you. that model 40 is a good mill and I think you will like it.

I would imagine that the folks at EZ Boardwalk could help out with someone close to you that has one. I think if you were going to buy one and they are going to be at the show near you in a couple weeks, you might be able to buy their demonstrator at the show for a discount. I bought the one I had from them and they delivered it to the farmfest show at springfield MO and didnt charge me delivery.

Look into getting their band sharpener if you are going to saw much you will need it.

There are lots of pics of my model 40 and my mods to it in my photo gallery. I am not sure why my little camera link doesnt show up in my posts but It dont?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SevernDH

More of a lurker than an active poster, but do have an EZB 40.

I am sure they will help you find someone close, but if you don't pull the trigger before October, I am sure they will be at the Paul Bunyan Show again. I encourage you to go see them when they are competing in the sawmill shootout there.  Was enlightening to see how fast guys in WAY better shape and much more skilled than me could produce lumber.

When I bought mine, they had someone driving a pair of them this way in the same trip, dropped mine off with a farmer in Lancaster, PA (though I am between DC and Baltimore), then continued on with the other somewhere in New Jersey.

Not a professional by any stretch, but am very happy with mine, other than dreaming of hydraulics when I get a big log :)
EZ Boardwalk Model 40, New Holland TC40
Desk Jockey by day; Couch potato and occasional wood hack by night

Momatt

I have the 40 as well and I am happy with it.  You have the support stuff to load logs which is good.  Cranking on the winch all day isn't very realistic in my view.  Its a good manual mill, which is all I have experience with.  I've used a woodmizer Lt-15 with the Kohler 26 hp.  Ez will cut a bigger log, but I think they are comparable.  I did get the slightly bigger 690 motor on mine, it used to be rated at 28hp but now its rated at 22 by the new standard.  I got the trailer package and an extension.  I like the log clamps, I like the torsion spring assist, I like the blade guides.

mailman

Quote from: paul case on March 19, 2017, 03:09:00 PM
Good for you. that model 40 is a good mill and I think you will like it.

I would imagine that the folks at EZ Boardwalk could help out with someone close to you that has one. I think if you were going to buy one and they are going to be at the show near you in a couple weeks, you might be able to buy their demonstrator at the show for a discount. I bought the one I had from them and they delivered it to the farmfest show at springfield MO and didnt charge me delivery.

Look into getting their band sharpener if you are going to saw much you will need it.

There are lots of pics of my model 40 and my mods to it in my photo gallery. I am not sure why my little camera link doesnt show up in my posts but It dont?

PC

Great pictures Paul. Is that a hyd toe board and roller driven by your tractor hydro?

paul case

The tractor powered the hydraulic clamp/turner I built to pineywoods specs found in this thread .

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.0.html

The toe board is just what it looks like, a hydraulic bottle jack.

I am not real sure what pic you thought was a toe roller. put it up here and we will look together.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

mailman

Quote from: paul case on March 19, 2017, 08:58:47 PM
The tractor powered the hydraulic clamp/turner I built to pineywoods specs found in this thread .

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.0.html

The toe board is just what it looks like, a hydraulic bottle jack.

I am not real sure what pic you thought was a toe roller. put it up here and we will look together.

PC

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/20540/DSCI1017.JPG?easyrotate_cache=1325208889

I think it is a brace with your log roller on the other side

paul case

Yep thats what you saw. I put a couple 2''x2''x1/4'' across for a little extra strength where the turner was.

BTW If you plan to put hydraulics on a mill it really needs hydraulic powered backstops and the front hyd toe roller. It is like walking a 2 legged dog without all of it.
PC
pc

f350rd

Hello, Mailman I have an EZ Boardwalk 40 that I have modified for day 1. For the price and how well they are built made my choice easy. I added leveling jacks because I use mine for mobile sawmilling. I also added carriage travel and height controls, also built chain style log turners. All of the controls work on 12 volt battery power. Look in my gallery to see the mods. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
EZ boardwalk 40 Modified, New Holland lx 865, cat e70b excavator, welding/machine shop, 1999 f350, 2011 f350,72" granberg chainsaw slabbing mill,
48" chainsaw mill

opticsguy

My question is:  How wide a board can you cut?  You can put on a 40" log but nothing on the EZ Boardwalk about how wide you can really cut.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

etroup10

You can squeeze out a board a little bigger than 34"
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!