iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone have any experience with CRD Metalworks/Rapido Loco processor?

Started by labradorguy, March 19, 2017, 11:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

Just trying to get a little more info on the Rapido Loco line. The Rapido Loco 60 looks like a lot of bang for the buck and I was just wondering how they compare to the Cord Kings and other primo brands out there. How is their customer service to work with? Thanks!

shamusturbo

I'd say I have a little  :D I bought the original green monster splitter from the original owner in Maine in 2011. We had it for 4 years and sold it a few weeks before we drove from Pittsburgh to Jacksonville Florida to buy a Rapido Loco 20, 12-30-15. It had 286 hours when we bought it and has 400 ish now.

About the Loco 20: Definitely yes, it is the best bang for your buck! We bought used which helped us save even further. We had been looking for almost a year and were ready to settle for a woodbine, bar model. This machine came up at the right price, was listed for quite sometime, and we got it for a lower price yet. The wedges will bend and break. You have to put some pieces to the side. The learning curve can be extremely frustrating! Almost all the parts can be sourced on your own. As far as I know, there is no owners manual (probably so you don't try to source the parts yourself).

Our biggest struggles: 1. The wedge sucks. The OE welds are just huge, MIG fillet welds. I have rebuilt the original one and built 2 different style wedges, both 8 way star patterned. I learn something new everytime I make one. I found a guy in Ohio that has had similar problems and has built his own as well. 2. The conveyor belt (carpet style) freezes easily and makes it pretty useless in the winter months unless you have a way to heat it or keep it out of the weather. 3. Recently, we have had problems when the Deutz gets higher in the operating temperature (after 2 hours of straight run time) it starts to loose power and starts sputtering. We have worked around it most recently but once the weather breaks, we plan to clean the fuel tank and replace all the lines. There is a screen and fuel filter that we have replaced a handful of times hoping to solve the problem. They are great motors, but the Germans have to over complicate everything!

We have had great luck with the circular saw. We have resharpened twice with a diamond sharpening bit just to see if it made a difference. We received a set of replacement teeth when we bought it as well. You can get some serious run time out of it if you don't hit any metal. We have not. I say that because that is usually everyone's first question.

I find it funny that you ask about Customer Service. I'm guessing you have heard something that has tipped you off to ask more questions. Our first encounter with them (2009 or 10-Vermont-NEFPE) My brother and I were 20 and 17 at the time, they paid us no mind, presumably because of our age. We had worked firewood together for 5 years at that time and had quite a bit of money saved to buy our next machine. We called and e-mailed looking for alligator clamps for the conveyor belt with no response a few years later. When we first broke the wedge on the loco 20, I called to ask if I could buy a $850 replacement and pick it up at the same expo in Maine 2 years ago. They said "they didn't have enough room" --in the 4 trucks they used to pull their machines to Bangor. Freight would have been $200 ish, if I remember correctly. As stated, I built my own.<<<This is all factual. I am not going to bad wrap them. They make a killer machine, in what seems like a family oriented atmosphere. But you are on your own after that.

I have a few other posts on FF about my machine and what I like and don't like. I think I hit all the high points. I will copy in a few comments if I can dig them up. I would buy their machine again. Especially if I could get the folding conveyor!

Let me know if you have anymore specific questions. I would be glad to answer. There is another user OH Logger, who contracts another owner for a few days/ week every summer and they have way more hours on theirs than I do. 
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

shamusturbo

Forestry and Logging / Re: wood processor
« on: November 30, 2015, 10:58:55 pm »
A little late to the party......just stumbled across this thread.

I'm anxious just from reading the thread to see pictures!!! I am one of the CRD owners referred to earlier. I grew up poor and started doing strictly firewood when my dad got sick when I was 14. That being said, price was the deciding factor when it came time to upgrade. I have seen all the machines at a handful of tradeshows- Northeast Forest Products Expo (Dunkirk NY, Burlington VT, and this past May in Bangor ME) and at the Paul Bunyon Show in Cambridge Ohio the last 6 years. Our first commercial unit was a used TW-5, then the used original "green monster" splitter from CRD, then the Rapido Loco 20, which we bought used in Jacksonville, Florida (of all places :o) on December 31st of last year.

We stumbled across the machine while searching all of craigslist and I think it was advertised poorly so the ad didn't reach the people it could/should have. His asking price for a 2013 model with 283 hours was reasonable and I negotiated down a little bit from there.

I love the machine. Very basic. Not under or over engineered. It can split some pretty crooked stuff but you need to learn to manipulate it a little bit and clean the log up "just so" sometimes or simply make it shorter so it feeds more easily. We have about 200 cords through it and are still learning. A learning curve, for sure.

THE BAD: Poor customer support. The wedge welds suck. The have very little penetration on 3/4" CS wings welded to a 1" base plate. (had same problem with green monster) Conveyor belt clips are 7 sizes too small. They start to tear over time.

Another firewood guy in my town has the multitek 1620 SS that he bought new and I can surely run circles around that machine and I have $8-12k less money in mine. He does it as his main source of income(9-5 if you will). I do not. It has always been a hobby/side business.

If I had money piled up, I would certainly upgrade to a MultiTek or more likely a Bell's. I ran the 4000 model at the Paul Bunyon Show this past Oct. 4th and it is the bee's knees. All the bells and whistles and all on a joystick. Just would absolutely hate to work on it. There might be something said for simplicity with a work tool making essentially the same finished product though.....
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

labradorguy

Thanks for all that great info Shamusturbo. I'll owe you a beer at Paul Bunyon next fall. I find it interesting that you said you would buy a Bells when you upgrade... Didn't even mention Mt or CK. 

And yes. I have heard the same thing about CRD so I decided to inquire a bit here. Others have told me the same exact thing you did. Nobody specifically mentioned the wedges, but they did say that once you leave with it, you are on your own. Others say they won't even pick up the phone or return a call...

Ivan49

Quote from: labradorguy on March 20, 2017, 09:12:15 AM
Thanks for all that great info Shamusturbo. I'll owe you a beer at Paul Bunyon next fall. I find it interesting that you said you would buy a Bells when you upgrade... Didn't even mention Mt or CK. 

And yes. I have heard the same thing about CRD so I decided to inquire a bit here. Others have told me the same exact thing you did. Nobody specifically mentioned the wedges, but they did say that once you leave with it, you are on your own. Others say they won't even pick up the phone or return a call...
Once you leave you are on your own, I can believe this as I requested some info from them a couple years ago and never heard anything back from them, but yet they can e mail me adds for used machines they have and different parts on sale. Personaly I don't think this is a way to run a business

OH logger

the guys that split for me usually split 200-300 cord a year for me and have only ever been broke down 2 or 3 times. to me that's very good. theres is the bigger bar model they have and it has a pile of hours on it. maybe 3000 or so. they have made some improvements to it and yes they made their own "box"style wedge. it works great. they had their splitting cylinder beefed up at the same time. I keep the logs as clean as possible and pile them on log runners. I will go against the circle saw grain but I don't know how any other machine (within a reasonable price) could split that much more wood then his. I have clocked him repeatedly at 3 cord per hour. if he starts the day with a GOOD chain its not uncommon for him to finish with the same one. one thing I really like about the crd is the catwalk along side the feed trough. it makes it handy as a front shirt pocket to cant hook and spin a log that is less than perfect and wont feed right. his is older and it annoys me that its so hard to get to the splitting chamber, but the new ones are set up different (better) that way. I asked him a bout customer service once and his reply was 'what customer service'?. all in all its a good machine BUT I would be hard pressed to buy a machine from such jackwagons. I have heard from reputable sources that they have gotten kicked out of firewood shootouts for cussing like sailors in front of spectator (young AND old). not cool
john

xalexjx

I have a built-rite right now and would recomend that or a bells after looking over how theyre built and how they function. At the boonville expo 2 years ago was looking to upgrade to a circle saw processor and tried talking to the owner at crd and he didnt want to give me the time of day to answer questions(assuming because of my age) and that irks me pretty good,  the owner of bells was great to talk to and very knowledge able. Next machine will most likely be a bells but i will miss the built-rite multi wedge as i cut a variety of different size wood, nice to go from 4 way to 6 way in a few seconds. Iv ran lots of nasty hard maple and birch through my build rite, close to 2k hours and havent done any welding on it
Logging and Processed Firewood

labradorguy

I saw on Google that the owner of CRD is getting sued by his neighbors. He sounds like a bit of a tool from everything I am hearing. I'm passing on this one.

I too like the Bells. It's solid. Nothing can tear up a piece of equipment sooner than putting it in the wood.

shamusturbo

At the amount we wanted to spend, we got the best bang for our buck. Ultimately, it accomplishes the same end goal: semi-split wood. The advertised production rates are with perfectly bucked, straight pieces with an operator with 300 hours of experience are still far fetched.

They moved shops about a year ago because the neighbors were tired of them shooting around the shop(so the story goes). And of course they turned it into a 2nd amendment parade. Supposedly too there was a class action lawsuit a handful of years ago when the teeth came off the blade and injured operators which is presumably why they advertise they use Simmonds blades so heavily now.

Either way, I have had 2 of their machines, both second hand, and have had good luck with them with very little exception. If I wasn't a welder by trade, I could see the splitting heads becoming more of a costly/timely issue. It is no frills! (Although they are hinting at adding a cab as an add-on, via facebook pictures). <<Something they claimed as a selling feature, even in the "corporate video", no frills = lower selling point.   

Rapido Loco 20 vs. Bells 4000 with comparable features is still a $10k spread if I remember correctly. But reduced downtime and resale value may sway that see-saw too.  Heavier frame, CAT v. Duetz, conveyor included v. extra$$, joystick v. levers, self contained conveyor v. not, belt v. paddle conveyor, engine covered v. not.

There's a lot to weigh on making a decision. Basically, how important are the comfort items in an uncomfortable business? To us, totally not necessary. The big thing is, CRD comes with a conveyor and the others don't, still at a considerably lower price.

I've commented before as well, support equipment and support labor are 2 HUGE things to factor in if you do go down the processor route. 

Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

711ac

Quote from: labradorguy on March 21, 2017, 09:00:04 AM
I saw on Google that the owner of CRD is getting sued by his neighbors. He sounds like a bit of a tool from everything I am hearing. I'm passing on this one.

Around here, he sound's like what we call, your typical  Masshole.
Too bad.

labradorguy

Based on what I have heard, I'm passing on this one. I believe I've narrowed it down to either Multitek or Bells.

OH logger

not to throw a turd in the punch bowl but if ur from Illinois I would check out blockbuster. they may not be that far from u and they seem to be well built and well designed and a good family and employee oriented company
john

Corley5

My Block Buster has been a great machine.  I have no reason to buy anything else  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lynde37avery

I live very close to CRD metalworks.  I use to see them at the fair with the processor.
Detroit WHAT?

ButchC

Realy sorry to hear about the loss of your hand. I hope things go well for you as you adjust. 

Coming out of a career in the mines it has always astounded me the almost  total lack of operator safety features on American firewood processors. Even my shop build processor which was built out of a scrap pile (and Mr Duval made a smart arsed comment about on my YouTube channel)  has not one but three passive and redundant operator presence safety devices.  
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

labradorguy

That's a good post. I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

Anyone ever wonder why Multi-tek, Bell's, and Cord-King are the shootout regulars and you never see CRD there? They were caught a few years back swapping out logs in the dark the night before the shootout. That got them the boot from Bunyan. That told me everything I needed to know about CRD and the people working there.

shamusturbo

It's all hearsay BUT, I have heard they were drinking (beer, i'm assuming) and the Paul Bunyon Directors either asked them to stop or it was a "zero tolerance" rule and were never invited back. That is from the CK camp though...........
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

glassman_48

labradorguy,
I am a sponsor in here, the banner is firewood processors. Brute force recently came out with a slasher saw machine, its current price is $76,900.00 it comes standard with a 74.9 hp kohler diesel, it is built on their bullet proof 24-30 frame which has a swivel conveyor.  You can also get a kubota diesel for more money.  You may have to you tube to find the video on their slasher saw machine.  The manufacturer spent a lot of time to develop this machine, they used one of the top saw companies in our area for advice and guidance in design and development.  I do not have a video set up yet on my site that is why you have to go to you tube.  

Roscoe294

Two years after the original post in this thread and I know first hand CRD still does NOT call back or return emails. I'll try a few more times........

glassman_48

We just got our new price list for 2019, the 20-24 circle saw machine price just went down to $74,500.00 from the original price of $76,900.00 for the brute force machine.  If anyone is interested in this machine, or any of our other line up of machines.  Please feel free to contact me, I sell all over the united states.  As a sponsor, any sales of these machines, will help pay the forestry forum ads I put in here and also will help Jeff and Tammy:)

Dave Shepard

After reading this thread, other things I've heard about CRD, and the fact they don't communicate, I'd buy any other processor over a CRD.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Roscoe294

The only advantage I see with a CRD is that it seems to be a simple machine with the parts readily available nationwide.
I bet if this was recession time they would be hounding you to purchase. Probably with incentives..... 

Dave Shepard

I run a Timberwolf Pro HD. All off the shelf bearings, chains, sprockets, etc. It's not a slasher saw, but I've been impressed with it, despite extreme abuse by the previous owner.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moodnacreek

I think C.R.D. is the guy that ran Sawmill tool and service in the ground.

Thank You Sponsors!