iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Log/Equipment Trailer

Started by ncsawyer, March 18, 2017, 10:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

I have wanted a gooseneck trailer for some time.  So about a year ago I found a used 24ft Kaufman rated at 14,000lbs.  It was an older one and is what they call a "light duty 7 ton" pictured below.

A guy decided this week that he wanted it worse than I did so I let it go and had to get another one in short order.  I think I came out pretty good, because the floor was getting weak and I wanted to put a new set of tires on it (old ones had some cracks from age).  If I add up what I sold it for, plus a new floor and new tires, I could go buy one just like it from Kaufman new!

The only problem is that the Kaufman "light duty 7 ton" trailer wasn't stiff enough or heavy enough when it came to loading logs on it.  It had 8 inch I-beam frame with cross members on 24in centers and only weighed about 3,000lbs and had a lot of flex.

So today I went out and bought a brand new Gatormade 16,000lbs, 25ft gooseneck. 

Boy what an upgrade!!!  This trailer is much beefier and stiffer than the old one.  It has 12 inch I-beam frame, cross members are around 18 inches on center and it weights about 6K!  The best part is that it was only a few hundred more than a new Kaufman "light duty" trailer.  It was hard me to believe that I could upgrade to a much heavier trailer for the small cost.

I did have to drive a 700 mile round trip drive to get it though.  There was a closer Gatormade dealer, but his prices were higher.  Go figure. 

Anyhow I am super stoked and can't wait to bring some logs home with it!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

barbender

Nice trailer! I have looked Kaufman's ads over, and wow they seem low priced compared to others. Then I heard a local logger bought a new 50 ton lowboy from them, and was rebuilding it after a year :(
Too many irons in the fire

Roxie

Congratulations on that new trailer!  It's a beaut!   8)
Say when

Bruno of NH

That should work out well for you :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sawguy21

There was enough difference in price to make a 700 mile trip worthwhile?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sandhills

Only thing that could make that look better is if it was sitting in my yard  ;D

ncsawyer

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 19, 2017, 06:26:13 PM
There was enough difference in price to make a 700 mile trip worthwhile?

There were two places to buy that trailer.  The cheaper place was about 200 miles farther.  So 400 extra miles to save about $600 bucks.  It was worth it to me, especially since it was raining that day and I couldn't saw and make any money. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

thechknhwk

That is nice and a good lookin' ol' Chebby too.

Stoneyacrefarm

Work hard. Be rewarded.

Thank You Sponsors!