iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whitewashing pine T and G

Started by lshobie, March 26, 2017, 09:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lshobie

My wife didnt want the yellow look of pine - so we whitewashed it and I shot a quick vid - might be useful for someone in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83dYmp0n42w
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

hopm

You sealing the finish?
Is this the same as what we call a pickled finish?
I did all my Dad's ceilings with cut latex I sprayed with airless. Wiped with a lamb's wool pad on an floor applicator. Top coat with water borne urethane. Made a really nice finish with no ambering.

thechknhwk

Yep, doing the same thing, but I was using a foam brush.  I like your method better, I thought about getting a block brush to do it, but my kids ruined the last 2 I had & at $20 a pop... well I'll wait until 3450 bf I just sawed gets out of the kiln before I buy a couple more.  Mine is poplar.  Looks good, post a pic when it's up.

lshobie

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Magicman

I love it, but then anyone that has followed the extensive Cabin Addition topic knows that I am partial to white wash finish on walls as well as ceilings. 

Heck, we even have a whitewashed Poplar ceiling here at home.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thechknhwk

Ox

I hear whitewash and I'm thinking of dairy farms and the thick, opaque coating all over everything then hours spent washing down the stainless steel pipeline to make the milk inspector happy.  This stuff you guys are showing I was told is pickling.  Different areas and linguistics I suppose.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

It is also called pickling stain, but there is not any "pickling" going on.   ;D

The product that I used is labeled "White Wash Pickling Stain" so I suppose everyone is correct.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!