iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

048av super.

Started by 20ozjolt, March 18, 2017, 09:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20ozjolt

decided to "restore" her.... started the tear down and got a hold of a 048 part manual and a 042/048 shop manual...

one question i have now is what make it a 048 "super" ?

Al_Smith

I think "super" was just a word used to sell saws because as far as I know there is no difference .

There's a lot of urban legion stuff about this model .It's been said it was designed for the forestry service .Also stated to be the highest power to weight ratio of any saw built in that time period .Claimed to have been discontinued because they had a tendency to become case leakers because of design .I have no idea if any of that info is accurate .I own two of them neither is a super .

Ox

I can't say for the 048 super but I have an 034 super and it's the same as an 036.  A little more power than a standard 034 is all.  Why they had two saws so close together like that I'll never know. 
My 034AV Super is my favorite saw of all time.  A close second is a Homelite SuperXL Automatic.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

20ozjolt

Finally got to the store and bought Allen Keys long enough to pop the cylinder head off, what do you guys think about it this thing's condition?

Al_Smith

Looks okay to me,put it back together

teakwood

looks great for a old saw, those marks are normal
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ox

Looks better than some that run 100% that I've seen.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

20ozjolt

So dont do new rings? Or rings and piston....

Ox

Maybe.  If you've already got it apart and don't need it right away..... if it were mine I'd throw a cheap aftermarket rebuild kit into it just cause it's apart now and those kits ain't much.  But what do I know?  :laugh:  Each man for hisself.

teakwood

take the ring of the piston, carefully, and place it inside the cyl if the two ends are pretty tight together they are still good. Maybe change the rings but i would not change the piston. 
Aren't the piston and cyl matching units in saws??? i thought that you can't change the piston without changing the cyl
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 19, 2017, 05:02:30 AM
I think "super" was just a word used to sell saws because as far as I know there is no difference .

There's a lot of urban legion stuff about this model .It's been said it was designed for the forestry service .Also stated to be the highest power to weight ratio of any saw built in that time period .Claimed to have been discontinued because they had a tendency to become case leakers because of design .I have no idea if any of that info is accurate .I own two of them neither is a super .
Interesting thing about these 1117 series 048 Supers is all the ones I've seen had full wrap handles and came out of the PNW.
"Super" labelling  was a big marketing thing for Stihl in that area of the forest industry at that time.  Stihl paid alot of attention to and also alot of testing in the PNW.
When the 048 was introduced in Dec 1979 Stihl was in a bind to sell loggers a saw in the 80cc class to cut 2nd growth timber in the area. Husqvarna and Jonsereds were already invading the market with lightweight  80 plus cc saws like the Jonsereds 910 introduced in 1979 at 87cc and only 15 lbs versus the 76.4cc Stihl 048 at 17 lbs.
Stihl's only 87cc saw at the time was the 045 Super then onto the 056 Super a few months later in 1980 weighed not much more then the 048. With a few tweeks in port timing and a larger bore carb the 048 was now a Super, but no where near the h.p. of a 87cc 045 Super or a 056 Super.

The 048 had its place in history though as it was a big bore 042. The 042 introduced in 1976 was a game changer for Stihl as it was their first model with the Master Control switch and their first attempt in a streamlined saw.
Not until 1986 did stihl have a best power to weight ratio in that class with the 85cc 064AV at 14.1 lbs.
There was not a Stihl saw to replace the 048 76.4cc displacement until 1995 with the introduction of the 76cc 046.
The 046 still weighed more then the early 064 though.
The 72cc 038 Magnum introduced in 1985 is another worthy mention.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

The two I have do not say super.One with a full wrap handle came out of Wisconsin the other with a standard handle from Oregon from a dealer no less with .The later had a spun main bearing but being rather creative it was no problem to repair .

One of them has a Bosc ignition and the other an SEM .The SEM by the way is a self advancing type which would not advance and thus didn't run at full speed.On another web forum a fellow had a coil but had no idea what it went to .I told him,he put it on flea bay and I bought it for 5 dollars.
At the present the first one is getting low on compression so it needs rings.The full wrap has a faulty clutch side seal which is rare but I have one spare left just haven't had the time for repairs .BTW these were the first Stihl saws I ever owned .

Al_Smith

With regards to replacing the piston and cylinder on the subject saw it would be rather hard to find same .Some times maybe on E-bay for more money than the saw is worth .
The rings are the same as an 038 magnum and easy to find .However if the saw had decent compression I personally would forgo that .Keep in mind if you do replace the rings it will take some time before they seal because the cylinder will be slightly out of round .Have no fear they will eventually wear in though just takes some run time before that happens .

ZeroJunk

I don't understand why he took it apart to start with.

20ozjolt

I bought a new saw because this one was no longer cutting well.

So far the issues i have found are clutch, AVs are hardening and cracking, I was expectring to find the piston in worse condition thats why i put the pictures up.... I've only ever worked on cars and motorcycles....

It was a tractor that wirked well for me so i want to make her run well again

I actually boufht this one from a retired FS guy

20ozjolt

Oh and the fuel and oil lines were failing
That master control switch had broken and a toggle was added .. I would like to fix that also

I hunted anf couldent find a new top end (yet) have foumd aftermarket pistons and rings... on cars you can do that it sounds like its a bad idea in a saw

And yes i already read NOT to hone a stihl saws cylinder

HolmenTree

Quote from: 20ozjolt on April 28, 2017, 12:48:03 AM

And yes i already read NOT to hone a stihl saws cylinder
Quote from: 20ozjolt on April 28, 2017, 12:45:32 AM
I actually boufht this one from a retired FS guy
Not all saw cylinders go out of round in the bore especially a Mahle cylinder . Easy enough to measure the bore to see if it is out of round.

I remember a Oregon forest service desk jockey from about 10 years ago who claimed he took ownership of a 048Super with a full wrap handle, when he was cleaning out a storage building.
Don't know what happened to the saw as he later fell in love with a 064.

jacob j.

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 28, 2017, 09:58:23 AM
Not all saw cylinders go out of round in the bore especially a Mahle cylinder . Easy enough to measure the bore to see if it is out of round.

I remember a Oregon forest service desk jockey from about 10 years ago who claimed he took ownership of a 048Super with a full wrap handle, when he was cleaning out a storage building.
Don't know what happened to the saw as he later fell in love with a 064.

The 048 was popular with the land management agencies, although I've never really figured out why. Most government agencies use Stihl products due to the sweetheart deal Stihl gives them on multi-year BPA contracts.

I have an 048 cylinder here from a hotsaw someone built in the 70's. Whoever built it was going for high revs as the exhaust and intake timing are very tall numbers and the piston was running one ring. It would be interesting to get with the builder and find out what exactly they had in mind.

HolmenTree

Good to see you on here again Jacob !
Interesting about that 048 cylinder.
If it came from the PNW, I'm thinking probably a die hard Stihl fan modded it for the obstacle pole buck.
Without a pipe of course hehe.

Say have you heard from Niko SawTroll lately?
Getting worried about him, it's not his nature to be away for too long and missing out on the action.

20ozjolt

been lurking for a while on the forum...

no shes not forgotten been buying up parts for it, got all new OEM: AVs, fuel and oil lines, cylinder gasket, exhaust gasket  ect...

but now I'm super torn on how into her to get... there is a new master control switch on ebay for 40- (first one i have seen sense i started watching...) and I found a shop in Croatia that lists one in stock for like 5- but no idea if i can buy it lmao... I would like to forgo the toggle switch i put in the air filter cover to get around the switch breaking but... 40 bones for a little piece of plastic...

there was a new OEM top end in Russia i missed out on (price went to rich for me)

it has become more of a to do for me as a winter / sanity project. updates and pictures will be coming... as much as i want to make it like new I think it will be a functional rebuild to just have as a tool.

HolmenTree

Quote from: 20ozjolt on January 14, 2018, 10:13:26 PM
been lurking for a while on the forum.

it has become more of a to do for me as a winter / sanity project. updates and pictures will be coming... as much as i want to make it like new I think it will be a functional rebuild to just have as a tool.
Keep reporting 20ozjolt, sounds like an interesting project!
Mid winter here too where I am. -36C -44 windchill. I'm pretty well confined to the house and my cozy workshop.

There was a Scotsman faller named Barry Angus who worked at our logging camp back in the early 1980's, he ran a 048 with a 20"b/c.
When we were working near by each other one day, we stopped for a smoke break and talked saws. I was running a Stihl 038AV and we switched saws for a few hours.
I liked how nice that 048 cut with much more grunt then my 038. It felt like a durable saw.
I was happy to get my lighter saw back but the impression I got from big Angus was he felt my 038 was a toy. :D

20ozjolt

spent a few hours cleaning the crud out of everything should start reassembly on Saturday

any of you live in Croatia?  ... I want that *expletive* control switch lol

dang Holmen that is cold like Alaska cold...
I do miss real winters.

EDIT:
shes all done and been cutting for about 4 tanks of gas. Not my main saw any more but a good cutter once again. 

Kfd518

A little stihl 048 ignition combination information

In looking through the ipl's i have found that the
1117-400-1200 flywheel appears to be an early point version
1117-400-1201/1202 appear to be SEM ignition style flywheels
1117-400-1206/1207looks to be the coil which will work with the newer"universal style ignition module

the odd numbered flywheels seem to be the ones being used on W versions aka heated handles.

( the following is speculative information! I do not have any info on flywheels in between other than the fact that some of them have two key way index grooves which I speculate would be interchangeable between point and SEM, or SEM and universal. )

the 048 seems to have been started with a Walbro WS-14 carb and later changed to a WS-15.

will post more and or edit posts as I do find more accurate information.

Alright I know they are obsolete but I do believe I have found the info to post for others that may be having issues or have had one stashed due to issues.

Donut trigger, 1118-400-1000 was replaced with 1118-400-1004 beginning with machine number X11-169-021.
SEM module 1117-400-1300 discontinued at same machine #.[ (the following must be used together) It was replaced by Bosch coil 1117-400-1300 & trigger 1118-400-1004]
1117-400-1202 flywheel hash 2 key was marked "B" and "S" respectively indicating coil to be used with each key way.

At later date
1118-400-1004 replaced and the following combinations are to be used omitting any external module previously mounted factory or dealer repair.

FW 1117-400-1202/ 1117-400-1206 with ign module 0000-400-1300 from machine#7696411 (use B FW key way)

Regarding the flywheels mentioned above. These flywheels (1206 and 1202) only work with the crankshaft installed after the above mentioned serial number! Reason being that the crank shaft taper was changed from 1117-030-1402 old shaft to 1401 new shaft. (Yes backwards numbering don't ask me why)

Heated handle uses FW 1117-400-1207 with ign module0000-400-1300 machine number 15296714 (use B FW Key way)

048 super only had improved Port timing and larger carb same displacement. Jug simply marked with ++ after casting number.
I have not measured the 048 super cylinder that I put on mine and compared it to the plain 048 cylinder I pulled off. I will eventually get to measuring ports and timing on them both and post it up.

20ozjolt

dang that is some detail. thank you. 

Kfd518

Never got a notification that you had responded, just now seeing this.
The 048 pictured above has a super cylinder but I haven't been able to source the carb. When it was rebuilt I put a new crank and matching flywheel to run the newer style Bosch coil. New seals. Hand cut CC gasket squish set at .022" been to long since I put a compression gauge on it to tell what the compression is. It runs like a top though even though it looks rough. The only hard part to find now is the clutch side seal and crank bearing and one of these days I will find a spare to put on the shelf just in case I ever need to tear it down again. I say that but piston and cylinder will be difficult as well. The set I found were in good condition used. I spent way to much money rebuilding it but it was fun doing the research and finding the parts.

Thank You Sponsors!