iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chippers

Started by Cutter/Climber, March 18, 2017, 02:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutter/Climber

I am looking at purchasing a 8 or 9 inch chipper for my tree company. I have am wondering if anyone has ever used the 9" chipper from bear cat. It is that or a 8" Morbark chipper. The bearcat has less hours and a slightly bigger motor but I have never ran them. It is also a little bit more in price. It has a 9x9 opening and the morbark has a 8x12 opening. Thank you in advance for any information that you can give me. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jason

DonT

I am not real familiar with the bearcat or the morbark.My two choices would be Vermeer or bandit in that order.

slider

Cutter Climber,we use a Wood Chuck wc19.We bought it used and it has been a good unit. I think it is around 85 hp. It handles most of our limbs .The larger ones we load in our dump trailer or on our self loader. After using this unit I would not want to work with anything much smaller .Good luck on your purchase .
al glenn

jimbarry

We've got the Bearcat 8" CH8993H (turn table type). 8x8 opening. It will take whatever you can fit in it. In my experience though there are exceptions. A heavily trimmed tree, like a fir christmas tree with a 4-5 inch butt will require delimbing one side. I can grab the crown of a sugar maple where its 6" across the end and feed it with the skid steer and grapple, if the lower limbs are such they won't bend, they need to be cut off.

If I had to chose just based on the opening and no other option, I'd take the 8x12 over a 9x9. A 7-8 inch tree with limbs will be able to rotate as needed while being pulled by the feeder.

Jemclimber

I would agree with jimbarry on the opening. My long walk back yard pruning work chipper is a baby 6" vermeer with a square opening and I would much rather it was 4x8.  My bandit is wider than tall and is much nicer for feeding crotches.  My two choices would be like DonT except in reverse order, I like Bandit then Vermeer. However the only large Vermeer I've had exposure to is my best friend's, it has vertical feed rollers which I don't like, but it does have curb side tilt which is a nice feature.  I used to work with a guy that owned a 12" morbark and it was a good machine although it didn't have controls to open or apply down pressure to the feed rollers and feeding large wood was a bit difficult at times.   
Show us pictures of which one you got and let's here your feedback on how you like it.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!