iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Auto Clutch Problems

Started by Simon3380, March 18, 2017, 01:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon3380

I was sawing some red oak for my workshop this morning when I auto clutch on my LT40 Super stopped working. It appears to jam itself up when trying to lift the motor. I can manually rotate the gearbox in reverse and it has no problems until i get to the spot where (in reverse still) the motor is lowering (which would be where it would be raising if moving forward) and the motor just seems to fall. Again trying to go forward, the clutch mechanism just binds up at the same spot every time. Not sure what happened to make it all the sudden stop working but I can't saw now until I get this fixed and I have a bunch of red oak fitches laying around that need to get finished up.

I looked through my service manual that I got with the mill, I bought it used, and it refers to the auto clutch manual which of course I didn't get with my mill. I'm wondering if my turnbuckles are out of adjustment of something like that. One of the jam nuts was lose on the upper turnbuckle so maybe, just don't have a manual so I'm not sure what to check. Plus, of course this happened at 12:10 so Woodmizer service had just closed.

Any help is much appreciated.

Simon 
Garbage in, garbage out

Simon3380

After a little more messing around with it, it looks like the gearbox is toast. the gears are gone in the lifting spot. I know the mill is 10 years old, but it's only got 800 hours on it. Not sure if this due to something out of adjustment or just a "weak" drive gear. Either way it looks like I'm done for the weekend.

Would have been nice to get a couple more beams done...

Garbage in, garbage out

drobertson

Sorry bout that, get use to it, failing faulty parts aren't that big on wmz's  recall list, been through a few bumps in the road myself, great mills once they  are de-bugged,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Simon3380

Quote from: drobertson on March 18, 2017, 06:10:43 PM
Sorry bout that, get use to it, failing faulty parts aren't that big on wmz's  recall list, been through a few bumps in the road myself, great mills once they  are de-bugged,

It looks like you have the same mill I do. Do you happen to have the auto clutch manual? I could use the part number for the Leeson gearbox. The numbers on the gearbox itself seem to be cut off.

Garbage in, garbage out

terrifictimbersllc

There are two electrical switches which are turned off  alternately by proximity to the metal that rotates as the rotating clutch goes up or down.  If it's one of these  then it will go up and not back down, or down but not back up. When one of them went bad on my mill, I was able to rotate the pulley by hand and it would move to the other position automatically. Woodmizer should be able to email you the manual on Monday morning. Of course if the gearbox is toast  that's not going to be it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Simon3380

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 18, 2017, 08:47:42 PM
There are two electrical switches which are turned off  alternately by proximity to the metal that rotates as the rotating clutch goes up or down.  If it's one of these  then it will go up and not back down, or down but not back up.

I checked them and they are working as expected. The gearbox is definitely the problem. Would be nice if you could just quickly turn the mill into a manual clutch to keep you going. But then again, lifting that 51hp cat all day would get old quick.
Garbage in, garbage out

4x4American

If no one else replies I'll check you mine later today.  Drawing logs this morning. 

Boy, back in my day..

MartyParsons

Hello,
  We don't see many failures of this gear box. ( I know One failure is to many) Not sure exactly what year your mill is. If the belt that runs the gear box was over tightened the gear box life is shortened. ( And Yes it could of came that way from manufacturing) The belt does not need to be tight. I would say you should be able to push the belt 1/4" and it will work fine. If you make it tight as a normal belt would be then the gear box fails. There is even a longer belt for some revisions. I know this does not help the failed gear box but now you know and others may want to check your gear box belt. Even if they never had the cover off. Loose is best. Never seize the front two bolts if they have not broken off yet!
Early mills have a cast gear box later mills have an aluminum gear box.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Simon3380

Quote from: MartyParsons on March 19, 2017, 10:21:23 AM
Hello,
  We don't see many failures of this gear box. ( I know One failure is to many) Not sure exactly what year your mill is. If the belt that runs the gear box was over tightened the gear box life is shortened. ( And Yes it could of came that way from manufacturing) The belt does not need to be tight. I would say you should be able to push the belt 1/4" and it will work fine. If you make it tight as a normal belt would be then the gear box fails. There is even a longer belt for some revisions. I know this does not help the failed gear box but now you know and others may want to check your gear box belt. Even if they never had the cover off. Loose is best. Never seize the front two bolts if they have not broken off yet!
Early mills have a cast gear box later mills have an aluminum gear box.

Marty

My mill is a 2007. I'll be sure to put it back with the belt loose.

Thanks,

Simon
Garbage in, garbage out

sparks

Before you put the gearbox on there are a few things you need to look at.
1. If you have a 3L140 belt change it to a 3L150. Better adjustments and less strain on the shaft
2. Make sure all the ball sockets on the Autoclutch linkage pivot and rotate freely.
3. Make sure the drive belt is the proper tension. A belt to tight will over-torque the shaft.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!