iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Amish Sawmill

Started by StimW, March 18, 2017, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StimW

Don't know if it has been posted?
But I could spend a week commenting on this video!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWjs3lGk8xk
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

ChugiakTinkerer

That was awesome, thanks for sharing.  Looking at the shop clock they started sawing about 11:40 and were done by 2:30.
Woodland Mills HM130

killamplanes

Some logs just aren't profitable. I bet they would put that one in that category..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

jdeere540a

That was awesome. I wish I had that kind of hp at my mill. They definitely earned there money on that one.

69bronco

Could have been a Log rite commercial!

Czech_Made

Love it.  8)

Thanks for posting

fishfighter

Wonder how many BF they got out of that monster? Look like a lot of waste.

Ianab

Quote from: 69bronco on March 18, 2017, 02:40:07 PM

Or an ad for a Swing Blade mill  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: fishfighter on March 18, 2017, 06:57:30 PM
Wonder how many BF they got out of that monster? Look like a lot of waste.

I saw this on Youtube.  They said they got 500 bf.  I was wondering what they were trying to cut out of it.  Not the way I would have sawed it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

killamplanes

The way they slabbed it out my guess is back to a resaw for pallet stock. Just a guess looking at the cants....
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

bandmiller2

Those fellas don't seem to value their time. Myself I would have trimmed the elephant foot so the log was as close to a cylinder as I could make it. Take light slab cuts reducing the diameter until my saw would clear, I avoid burying the saw. All that said that log would never come anywhere near my carriage, but would keep me warm next winter.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

longtime lurker

Quote from: Ianab on March 18, 2017, 09:14:02 PM
Quote from: 69bronco on March 18, 2017, 02:40:07 PM

Or an ad for a Swing Blade mill  ;)

Or a 15 minute job with a canadian
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

paul case

I am not sure but that looked to me like hackberry so I think Killiamplanes is right and they were making pallet cants. I am not sure about the other uses for hackberry. We make a lot of pallet parts from it.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

The only thing that I am sure of is that they made little ones out of a big one with plenty of waste.  I still enjoyed watching.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

StimW

Why are they wearing Chaps?
Good video on how to use Cant Hook, their stab and lift method works.
I don't think that log will be profitable either.
How about the operator using his hand for safety glasses and mask!
Hope OSHA doesn't stop by.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Ron Wenrich

They're leather aprons.  Saves on wearing out your pants.  I had one when I sawed on a mill like that.  I would go through a pair of jeans in less than a month.  A leather apron would last about a year or so.

I believe the species is soft maple. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

I always wear a leather waist apron when I saw to protect my jeans and to keep sawdust out of my pockets.

And I ain't Amish.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

MM, if only I could keep the saw dust out of my socks. For some reason my boots fill up with it when I'm sawing or more so felling trees. :D

Raider Bill

What do you figure powered that mill?

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sixacresand

I didn't watch the whole thing because my internet is slow and video uses a lot of my monthly allotment of wireless gigs.  Looks like they had a dedicated and experienced crew of men and good equipment.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

paul case

Looked like a big diesel engine.

I dont believe I ever saw  someone use the power receeder to set for the cut on the go like that. I havnt been around a circle mill very much though.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!