iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly Jointer with Powerfeed with Extra Parts

Started by YellowHammer, March 17, 2017, 11:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Ever since I got my 12 inch Grizzly jointer, I have been unsatisfied wth it's dust extraction system.  Today, even though I have it hooked up to a 5 hp blower, it was spitting walnut shavings at me, worse than ever.  So I shut it down, and started looking around and realized the dust ports were almost fully blocked, way up in the guts of the machine.  So stuck my arm about elbow deep up in the dust baflfing of the jointer and found a few extra parts that Grizzly had left in the machine. :-\  One 4 1/2 inch flap buffing disk, and two more 4 1/2 inch grinding wheels, unused.  They had evidently been left in the machine and gradually worked their way down where they finally jammed up and completely blocked the system. I had to remove the external sheet metal housing and crack the rigid disks them to get them out.  The are in the bottom of the picture by the dust port. 
Works fine now :D

Some may notice that I have a powerfeed on the jointer, and there has been other threads about its usefulness.  I can only say, wow, when it's dialled in, it produces very flat boards at a fraction of the effort.  Unfortunately, we have jointed thousands of bdft since we got it, and until we installed the powerfeed, it was one of my most hated tools, hour after hour of hand jointing, until my shoulder would hurt.
Here's a pic of some walnut I worked on yesterday, that was jointed one side, then planed the other.  One board had just a little bow, maybe a 32" after face jointing with the powerfeed, the others cleaned up dead flat.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Andries

Thinking this is one of those situations where you're both angry (the knucklehead that left the discs in the machine) and pleased (you fixed the problem).

The amount of time, energy and dedication it takes to setting up, tweaking and fine tuning equipment is amazing.
Buy the hardware is the easiest part.
Well done YH!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Solomon

Awesome machine ,  I am pea green with envy.    A few years ago I got a good deal on a new 10 inch with mortise attachment, so now I'm kinda stuck, I want a bigger jointer but to go to a 12 inch just isn't a big enough jump for two more inches so I;m having to wait until I get my money right to pull the trigger on a 16 inch.
It's gonna be a while   :'(
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Kbeitz

Well if that ain't a first... Was the disks made in China or Taiwan ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 18, 2017, 06:58:25 PM
Well if that ain't a first... Was the disks made in China or Taiwan ?

I couldn't tell, I couldn't read the writing on them!   ;D

Dan, I welded up an angle bracket and drilled and tapped it to the back of the jointer.  The horizontal plate of the bracket in which the power feed mounts is at the same height as the jointer bed.  The powerfeed has a spring suspension on the feed rollers, so it doesn't just push the board down to the jointer table, it will allow it to crown up if need be, much like feeding by hand and will truly flatten out bow and warp.  I'm taking an eighth inch per pass, so many boards only need one pass, and then go straight into the planer about 5 feet away from the jointer.  So we can have both the jointer and planer running at the same time, and as I face joint the board it comes out of the power feed, and I set it directly into the infeed of the planer, where it comes out at 3/4 inch and my wife grabs it and stacks it on a pallet.  I saw WDH's jointer at the last Sycamore Project, and saw how effective it was, and got one in our shop.  Unfortunately, it worked so well at flattening boards, we soon found ourselves fixing boards that we would have previously sold as bent scrap.  The jointer paid for itself within a very short time, as our cull wood pile virtually disappeared.  However, pushing that much wood by hand was taking its toll, and I had to come with an easier alternative.  The walnut boards in the picture all had bow and warp to the extent we could not have sold them at full price, so were culled.  The jointer fixed them right up, and I'm sure we sold all of them today. 

We also use the jointer to during the sales day, as several times today I edge joint customers boards at 50 cents per bdft.  The powerfeed can easily be rotated out of the way on its pivot for edge jointing and I adjust the jointer to take 3/16 per pass, so normally one pass per edge and a board is edge jointed dead straight.       
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Dan_Shade

Thanks, can you post a picture from behind?

I made a similar bracket for a shaper, it would be nice to add one to my jointer, which is a lot like yours

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kbeitz

Being that I worked at grizzly I would like to know how they got in there.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

barbender

I would look at it like, yay, my dust extraction works now, and also yay, I got some free grinding discs ;D Probably still someone at Grizzly saying "I know I set those right over here  :D That's a fine set up you have YH, I truly admire your whole operation.
Too many irons in the fire

Kbeitz

I don't think they came from Grizzly. 99.9% of the boxes of machines
never get opened up at Grizzly. They are boxed up in China or Taiwan
and shipped over to USA. If there was any known problems with the
machines then they would be opened and checked. Even then when
opened they are not around anything like sanding disk.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

I've been running a feeder on my 12" Griggio jointer for a few years now.  I only face joint the boards that need it after skip planing.  I might do it different if my feeder was bigger.  Every board gets one edge jointed using the feeder at 43 fpm, as that's as fast as I can handle them.  It does a perfect job on the edges.

The Italians didn't leave any extra parts in my jointer to plug things up.  I do have a Oakly edge sander that ate a hand broom and burped it up the dust collection hose unknown to me.  Took a while to figure that one out.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

Here is a picture of the disks.  They say "G Cut" on them which makes me think they were Grizzly.

Here's a picture of the bracket as I was bolting it to the back of the machine.  I made it out some 4 inch channel. 

YellowHammerisms:

Dan_Shade

Thanks for posting the pictures

Is it bolted to sheet metal?

YellowHammer

No, that part of the machine is cast iron, varying from 1/4 to about 1/2 inch thick.  There are ribs and uneven casting internally, so I drilled and tapped a bunch of holes because I didn't know what I was going to hit, and also was worried about the casting cracking due to the repeated loading force of the power feeder. 

I built horizontal feeder base mounting plate long, because I wasn't sure where I was going to mount the feeder in relation to the cutter.  I ended up backing it up a little, and this also still lets me use the porkchop guard for most of the cuts.  So I feed the board in by hand, and as it goes across the cutter and maybe 3 or so inches past, it will get grabbed by the feeder, and I've got it adjusted so that the rollers will slip a little at the feed rate where the breaker just trips on the jointer.  It's a 3 hp and I am thinking of swapping it for a 5 hp. 

YellowHammerisms:

Kbeitz

Im thinking those wheels came from the factory...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dan_Shade

The base on my machine is different from yours, my base is sheet metal.

I guess that's a difference between the the Grizzly and the shop fox.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 20, 2017, 06:38:25 PM

A lot of people don't know the Shop Fox is Grizzly...
I was in the Shop Fox division for a few years.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

Quote from: Dan_Shade on March 20, 2017, 06:38:25 PM

On mine, most of the machine is pretty heavy casting, the whole base with the exception of the little dust chute, is cast iron.  I'm actually pretty happy with the jointer, except for the dust collection spare parts and very marginal motor power for its rated capacity and size.

YellowHammerisms:

flatrock58

I have seen the phrase skip plane a lot in posts.  Are you just using a 1 sided planer and running the boards through, without using the jointer, when you skip plane?
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

SlowJoeCrow

To me, skip planing is when you run both sides through a planer, but only enough to show grain better.  In other words, the sides aren't planed completely down to a fully machined face.  This helps show the wood grain better and makes it easier to stack while still having some thickness left for machining later.

Larry

Exactly what I do for those reasons.

When I build my project I'll surface to finish dimensions.  This also provides a fresh edge for glue ups.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dan_Shade

Skip planing also makes it easier on the small planers

YellowHammer

Skip planing or hit and miss planing is as the folks have said.  It's a very important step where I take my rough sawn kiln dried 4/4 hardwood and plane it down to 15/16" taking wood frm both sides.  Skip planing, especially with professional grade planers such as carpet planers or multi head will really fatten and remove cup and will generally clean up one side 100% and the other about 90% or better.  So customers can build tables and such with the thicker nearly 1 inch thick wood, clean face up, and it can be easily planed down to 3/4" with home owner grade planers.  I use my single side near commercial Powermatic, and it will do a great job also. 
It also allows us to grade the wood, and the customer to easily see how nice it looks.  It stacks flatter too, for better transport.
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!