iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CH TURNER circular sawmill again restore?

Started by IHSMOKE, March 17, 2017, 10:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHSMOKE

when replacing the wood that 4inches by 6 inches that the track ride on whats the best way ???   track wood is rotten /gone /junk/

lyle niemi

bandmiller2

Nikki, you want a stable wood for your bunkers. Most mill builders used that nice southern hard pine. On my mill I recut highline cross arms, Douglas fir I believe. The best is steel, my first mill used steel roof trusses, fine if you take the time to take the crown out. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

IHSMOKE

older guy i saw at an antique show watching a mill run suggested i use 9  lb I beam .....3 inches wide on top 6 inches tall...
anyone use that stuff ?   and what to build a new carraige frame from ?

bandmiller2

That "I" beam would make a very good track bed if it can be had reasonable. Channel iron is handy to make a carriage out of also rectangular tube. Wood is the cheapest replacement but has the highest upkeep, if you use it slap on a lot of preserver and put a roof over it. What do you have for track.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

IHSMOKE

one end of mine is completely rotted away all thats left is the steel guides ... mill was sitting at the bottom of a low area and beavers backed water up on the log load end ....most of the mill is ok but will require complete rebuild ....husk wood is in good condition will need carriage and track rebuilt ....... steel can be had new for around $1000.00 dollars ....thank god blade was removed after every winter and stored in dry packhouse for the summer as this man was a tobacco farmer that ran a mill in the winter ....

ddcuning

I have seen several mills with tube for a carriage frame and mine was that way before I had a new frame built. The problem with tube is as you tighten the headblocks down with thru bolts, the pressure of the bolts can alter the shape slightly and throw the carriage off. I found on my old carriage the more I tightened the worst it bowed up on me. My new frame is C channel with bolts only through the top flange of the C for the headblocks and only through the bottom flange for the axles and I don't have that issue anymore.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

IHSMOKE

dave  talked to a guy up in your area that had a frick for sale in the ag review ....said he was the one you got your forklift from ......watched aLL your vids on your restore ....  think i could avoid some problems after watching your story ...lol...   i hope you made my journey a lil bit easier i have paid attention to several ppl on saw mills love to see yours sometime if possible ....do you have a facebook to message with ?

ddcuning

Ah, so you spoke with Sam. His mill was a J. A. Vance mill with a Frick 00 carriage. I sawed wedges on that mill for four years! Foundation was bad on it and it never sawed square. It was a great little mill to mess with and gave me the bug to get my own. Had a 471 Detroit pulling it but when I drove by the other day it looked like the engine was gone. Mill may have been also, I just went by to fast and could not see. You are welcome to stop by my mill anytime. I have 38 SYP logs that are 21ft long that I scored over the last two weeks so I have a lot of sawing to get done and will be at the mill almost every Sat for the foreseeable future. Send me a PM here on the forum and we will set a time for you to come by.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Thank You Sponsors!