Sponsors:

Introduction...question

Started by Red Elk, March 14, 2017, 06:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Elk

last one today...
tracking adjustment...I hope...

Kbeitz

The third picture... Is that the blade guide wheel ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Red Elk

Yes, that is the blade guide. Here is a picture of the other one...directly across from it on the blade

Red Elk

these were taken while moving the mill up on to the tracks. The dead grass is just a momentary event. Apparently the guide wheels are some sort of small wheel/with boat grease hubs on them?
This is a real redneck deal...

KirkD

Seems like those blade guides would take the set right out of the blade. Maybe the ride further forward than it looks?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Kbeitz

Now that's what I would call some real down pressure with your
blade guides. If you would raising them up you could cut a larger
log and I would think have less problems tracking.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

Those blade guides look more like band busters to me. I don't intend to be insulting to the builder, but I don't see how a band could last with that much down pressure and being taken over that tight of a radius twice each time around.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

plowboyswr

The blade looks more like one we use on our shop band saw to cut metal with. And is the belt running on the tread of the drive tire? I would question the blade speed on it. Those "guides" would have to go if it were mine.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Ox

Yeah.....those guides won't work the way they are, unfortunately.  Good idea using timing belt idler bearings for part of a guide, though.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Red Elk

I really appreciate all the info and comments. No insult to the builder taken. It is just what I am starting with...will go from here until I can build another. I figured what I learned fixing this one would just help me on the next one.
I will look closer at what you all have said, and try to get some more info as to your questions.
re

Red Elk

here are a couple more pictures...track, right wheel adjustment, motor and back side. 

Red Elk

last few photos I have currently...

Ox

The good news is it looks like most everything you need is there and looks rugged enough.
I think the funky guides are an attempt at a poor design regarding blade height off the deck when it's as low as it can go.  This is what I had to do with my first mill attempt when using basically no plans at all.  It was a piece of junk and embarrassing to look at.  It worked in theory but as far as long lasting results - wah wah wahhhhh......
BUT - I also accomplished what I set out to do and that was to build a mill that would cut an accurate board for basically no money layout.  I spent less than $100 total I think... and it looked it.  :D

One thought for you:  you might find it better to put your money and time toward a used, cheaper manual mill like a Woodlands mill.  People buy and sell all the time and good deals are pretty easy to find.  I see a lot of time and money to make your mill perform well.  Perhaps even more than half the cost of a good used entry level mill.

Unless you just love tinkering and freeing up stuck and rusted machinery.  Then you're in the right place looking at that mill!  ;) :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!