iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying under fans

Started by Clover, March 17, 2017, 09:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clover

I've asked a similar question on the sawmill forum but realized it's more appropriate to this board. I've stacked and stickered wood in my barn. It has a gravel floor and can get damp from moisture being wicked up into the crap gravel in there. I've put down tarps under most of it but as it doesn't have a lot of air circulation (only a wall barn exhauste fan) I've picked up some heavy duty fans to blow air through the piles. I'm worried about mold as it warms up and humidity rises. I've put some fans on timers because our electricity costs are astronomical. Not all of them though. Now after reading this board a bit on drying I'm worried about to much air movement and drying the outer wood too much before the inner wood can catch up. Any thoughts?
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Glenn1

I've reverted to keeping my wood around 8 feet from the fans and only run the fans for 10 minutes per hour.  My thoughts are that moisture being released from the wood only needs a short time per hour to remove it from between the layers.  Some wood like hard maple gets the fans all day to avoid sticker stain.  Other wood like the oaks do not get any fans, only mother nature.  Also, I do not run the fans when the humidity is below 40% as it may dry the wood too quickly.  By the same token, I don't run them when the humidity is over 80%.  It seems like an exercise in futility with the air already full of moisture.  If I have a semi sensitive wood, I run the fans first thru a stack that is fairly dry and only a little bit of the velocity will reach the second stack.  I'm not sure if there is much science to the way that I do it, just my thoughts. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Thank You Sponsors!