iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling terminology

Started by francismilker, March 17, 2017, 07:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

francismilker

Is there somewhere here on FF that I can find a list of terminology definitions?

I've been making sawdust as a hobbyist for a while now and enjoy reading and learning from you all. However, sometimes I read a thread and with all the "flecks, flitches, slabs, and piths" I often have unanswered questions when I'm through reading.

I grew up hearing that a log had sapwood and heartwood.

Around my place, if one cuts a tree down and the heart is getting spongy they refer to it as being "pithy".

Can you throw some help for a milling illiterate?🤓
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

WV Sawmiller

Click on the Extras button on your FF toolbar and select the dictionary there, If not found post a specific question as to what something means. Welcome to the FF and good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

francismilker

Thanks WV. I'll check it out!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

terrifictimbersllc

An ordinary dictionary, well may be a good one, will often list different uses of words which include the ways we use them here on the forum.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ox

Well, see, I think the wording will change depending on where you come from.  The spongy heartwood in my neck of the woods is called "punky".  The V in a tree trunk is a "crotch" here and a "fork" down south.  Just sayin'.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

Whatdayoumean??  :o  We have punky crotches here in the South too!!   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

That is better than spongy forks.
Wouldn't that be hard to eat with.
Speaking of eating....

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on March 18, 2017, 09:28:04 PM
I think you will find most of the larger pharmacies have treatment for that. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

smiley_ignore smiley_ignore smiley_ignore
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Don P

If it gets all doty that could lead to a wicked butt flare

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Well you guys just made my morning with your hilarious wit!  Thanks for that!  :D :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!