iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric power for LT40 Hydraulics

Started by D6c, March 17, 2017, 01:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Still putting together a list of parts required to add hydraulics to an older Lt 40. 
Trying to decide whether to go with a 12v DC hyd. power unit or 115v
Down side of 115v is you're limited to stationary work or have to run a generator if going portable.

For a 12v unit you still either have to have a separate battery for hyd power with charger (hooked to generator or vehicle)

I see that WM uses a "Hyd. Power Supply Strip" used to transfer power from the battery on the saw carriage to the hyd. unit.  I'm guessing it's a copper strip & sliding contact to allow the carriage to move and maintain power to hydraulics.  Looks to be just 6' long....in that case the carriage would have to be within 6' of front of the mill to have power. 
Does this setup work well to power the hydraulics?  Don't have a price on the kit yet, but seems like it might be a clean solution.

Magicman

The 6' strip works well for me.  Never operate the hydraulics while the saw head is in motion.  If for some unusual reason I need to operate the hydraulics while the head is not on the strip, I use a battery "jump box".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

D6c
I added a contact strip to my 1997 LT30 to power hydraulics for toe rollers.I got most everything from WM.For my mill it was a pretty simple install.The hydraulic powerpack and 2 spool valve were not WM.I turn the pump on/off with a toggle switch
A small miracle occurred after everything was assembled......it worked!
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

D6c

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 17, 2017, 06:29:29 PM
What about a heavy duty cord real ?

I think the amperage required for a DC pump would require a pretty heavy cable....but I have seen reels similar to  air hose reel used to roll up hydraulic hose.  Seems like some forklifts have something like that.  Have to think on it.

Magicman

The cable to run a hydraulic pump would be like welding leads.  Now you could use a reel or something like that to handle the control wiring.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I  have around 20 super duty electric reals that came out of washshaws textile factory when it closed down they was hanging from the roof not hooked to anything. Maybe they was used for welding. They don't lock when you pull the cord out.  But to use them for like a carriage you would not want them to lock.  Maybe I can find a model number and name.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!