iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grinding/hand filing thread...let's see upclose pics of your chains guys!!!!

Started by khntr85, March 17, 2017, 11:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khntr85

Quote from: sablatnic on March 18, 2017, 05:16:59 PM
Free hand filing.
The best I can do picture wise. Need to touch up the chain again, I know! And I am not using chisel chain, wood is too filled with sand for it to work - I live close to the coast, with lots of flying sand and dust.

Do you use a grinder or hand file???

khntr85

Here is a Stihl RS chaini ground.....this is about as aggressive as I go for my chains....since I cut hardwood if I get any more of a point it wouldn't last to long....as long as I keep the proper raker height, it cuts great and no chatter!!!

khntr85

khntr85

sablatnic

Quote from: khntr85 on March 22, 2017, 10:59:49 AM
Free hand filing.
The best I can do picture wise. Need to touch up the chain again, I know! And I am not using chisel chain, wood is too filled with sand for it to work - I live close to the coast, with lots of flying sand and dust.

Hand file. Faster, sharper and cheaper. And I can do it whenever needed.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: khntr85 on March 22, 2017, 11:09:07 AM
Here is the types of chains customers bring me....

Right there is where a grinder comes in really handy. We get some in that are that bad, they even take a while on the grinder. There was a guy was bringing in 5 almost that bad every few days and finally I asked him what in the world he's being trying to cut. He said he had a group of people working clearing brush for horse riding trails, I guess they were cutting down to the dirt alot. Around here you can't do that, too many rocks. If you pick 1 rock in Missouri, 3 more will sprout up  :D
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

khntr85

Quote from: sablatnic on March 22, 2017, 07:24:28 PM
Quote from: khntr85 on March 22, 2017, 10:59:49 AM
Free hand filing.

Hand file. Faster, sharper and cheaper. And I can do it whenever needed.
I used  to think hand filing was sharper too....have you used a grinder....

I have found I can grind any full chisel or semi chisel chain as good or better than hand filing....and I used to swear a grinder would only burn chain LOL!! 

Could you post some of your hand filed chains by chance?????

Puffergas

Does the Simington square chisel grinder work good? If so, can it also found grind?
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Gearbox

Well the BT 6870 went back to work today . By the time I got set up I got about 2 cord ran through . Cutting small Ash up to 10 inch . I wish I would have left my chain alone Rakers at .025 with a new stone on the grinder no hold down but you better have one hand on the cut off when you hit it with the 044 or it will throw it out of the feed deck . On harder or larger wood no problem .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

khntr85

Quote from: Puffergas on March 22, 2017, 08:08:58 PM
Does the Simington square chisel grinder work good? If so, can it also found grind?
Yes those square grinders are great....they will only do a square chain though, I do believe...a lot of guys like square ground for hardwood....I have personally never seen ran any square chain.... 

Have you had the grinder for awhile???

Is there any way you can get a picture and model number, I can get you more info on it...there are guys that would buy that grinder in a heartbeat, considering it's in decent shape and price if fair!!!!

Puffergas

Quote from: khntr85 on March 23, 2017, 04:31:17 AM
Yes those square grinders are great....they will only do a square chain though, I do believe...a lot of guys like square ground for hardwood....I have personally never seen ran any square chain.... 

Is there any way you can get a picture and model number, I can get you more info on it...there are guys that would buy that grinder in a heartbeat, considering it's in decent shape and price if fair!!!!

Dang spell check, I wanted to say round grind not found grind.

I do not have the Simington I was just dreaming about switching to square chisel and that grinder is almost affordable if it really works and square is noticeably better. We cut hard and soft wood. Would be used for felling, bucking and milling.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

khntr85

Quote from: Puffergas on March 23, 2017, 08:57:22 PM
Quote from: khntr85 on March 23, 2017, 04:31:17 AM

Dang spell check, I wanted to say round grind not found grind.

I do not have the Simington I was just dreaming about switching to square chisel and that grinder is almost affordable if it really works and square is noticeably better. We cut hard and soft wood. Would be used for felling, bucking and milling.

Lol, I knew what you meant....

Donyou have a grinder right now...I cut 90% hardwood, and I occasionally cut pith elm or silver maple(I call softwood).....every time I cut maple it amazes me how easy it is to cut...it's no wonder why guys cutting line and other soft wood can run the log bars....you can't get away with that buried in hedge, locust, oaks....

ButchC

OK you guys who both file and grind, would you care to let me in on both how and what you grind with so you can file afterwards if you want??   :(  I file my chains when ever possible and I dare say I am decent at it. I bought a Oregon clone grinder several years ago to keep my processor chains in shape. I have used it on other chains but rarely now because cant seem to get it done without hardening some of the cutters glass hard.  Changed wheels to Oregon brand, changed techniques to no avail. I am not turning my cutters blue, just touching them with quick touches and I still get some glass hard cutters, from a couple to half the chain. They cant be touched with a file afterwards. Once ground, have to grind afterwards. It is especially a problem with my favored RS and RSK Stihl chains, less so with the Carton chain. I am getting a very good chain with the grinder just dont like being locked into grinding after it is preformed once.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

OH logger

john

Kbeitz

Or if you want to do a quick touch up after grinding you can
use a dremel with diamond  Burrs.  $30.00 for 4 on Amazon.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I have a chain saw with this kind of chain on it.
What might it be called ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ButchC

I dont know what the technical name is but I know it as scratcher chain, commonly found on the old  2 man saws.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

khntr85

Quote from: ButchC on March 24, 2017, 06:24:58 AM
OK you guys who both file and grind, would you care to let me in on both how and what you grind with so you can file afterwards if you want??   :(  I file my chains when ever possible and I dare say I am decent at it. I bought a Oregon clone grinder several years ago to keep my processor chains in shape. I have used it on other chains but rarely now because cant seem to get it done without hardening some of the cutters glass hard.  Changed wheels to Oregon brand, changed techniques to no avail. I am not turning my cutters blue, just touching them with quick touches and I still get some glass hard cutters, from a couple to half the chain. They cant be touched with a file afterwards. Once ground, have to grind afterwards. It is especially a problem with my favored RS and RSK Stihl chains, less so with the Carton chain. I am getting a very good chain with the grinder just dont like being locked into grinding after it is preformed once.

Hello sir.... well I have to ask a few questions, please don't be offended....are you dressing your wheel with a dressing block atleast every chain to expose new material on the wheel....could you take a picture of your wheel and post it here.....if your wheel has the "black ring of death" you will burn a cutter almost instantly....

Also are you using the "tap-gap-tap-tap" method to grind???

Also it is better to remove a tiny bit of cutter material and just make more passes until the chain is back in shape....

HolmenTree

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 24, 2017, 08:17:15 AM
I have a chain saw with this kind of chain on it.
What might it be called ?

Nice old chain.  Looks like Disston Henry straddle scratcher chain in 9/16" pitch.
Introduced in the late 1940's.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Puffergas

khntr85, I mainly file sharpen free hand but we do have the common Oregon look a like clone grinder and have tried dremal like mini grinders. Get by but could stand to do better. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last year I wanted to buy some cool whip but couldn't find it anymore. Maybe it  was called something else.

I just looked up the price of the upper end Oregon and it's about half the price of the Simington grinder so my clone might be lacking a bit.

Here's how it's done...

https://youtu.be/aVPyV336Fnc
Jeff

HolmenTree

Yep angle grinders come in handy like my battery one. Just lightly touch the disc, then go to the round file to finish up. ;D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ButchC

Quote from: khntr85 on March 24, 2017, 09:42:18 AM

Hello sir.... well I have to ask a few questions, please don't be offended....are you dressing your wheel with a dressing block atleast every chain to expose new material on the wheel....could you take a picture of your wheel and post it here.....if your wheel has the "black ring of death" you will burn a cutter almost instantly....

Also are you using the "tap-gap-tap-tap" method to grind???

Also it is better to remove a tiny bit of cutter material and just make more passes until the chain is back in shape....

No offense what so ever, Yes I am giving the chains a couple quick taps and the cut is so light that I can make the wheel touch or miss by leaning slightly on the handle either way.  The picture was taken after touching up a 84 driver chain.  I clean the wheel with the dressing  stick every chain and reshape when necessary.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

khntr85

Quote from: Puffergas on March 24, 2017, 07:02:46 PM
khntr85, I mainly file sharpen free hand but we do have the common Oregon look a like clone grinder and have tried dremal like mini grinders. Get by but could stand to do better. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last year I wanted to buy some cool whip but couldn't find it anymore. Maybe it  was called something else.

I just looked up the price of the upper end Oregon and it's about half the price of the Simington grinder so my clone might be lacking a bit.

Here's how it's done...

https://youtu.be/aVPyV336Fnc

Hilarious!!

Thank You Sponsors!