iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grinding/hand filing thread...let's see upclose pics of your chains guys!!!!

Started by khntr85, March 17, 2017, 11:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khntr85

Quote from: ButchC on March 27, 2017, 07:44:04 AM
Quote from: khntr85 on March 24, 2017, 09:42:18 AM

Hello sir.... well I have to ask a few questions, please don't be offended....are you dressing your wheel with a dressing block atleast every chain to expose new material on the wheel....could you take a picture of your wheel and post it here.....if your wheel has the "black ring of death" you will burn a cutter almost instantly....

Also are you using the "tap-gap-tap-tap" method to grind???

Also it is better to remove a tiny bit of cutter material and just make more passes until the chain is back in shape....

No offense what so ever, Yes I am giving the chains a couple quick taps and the cut is so light that I can make the wheel touch or miss by leaning slightly on the handle either way.  The picture was taken after touching up a 84 driver chain.  I clean the wheel with the dressing  stick every chain and reshape when necessary.

Well your wheel looks great!!!!

Can you get a pic of a cutter you have ground???

Woodcutter_Mo

khntr85- Im sure I probably missed it somewhere, but what wheel are you using if you don't mind me asking? We use CBN wheels but the last one we had re-coated didn't last as long as we think it should have. Wouldn't mind trying a different type as long as it grinds plenty fast, doesn't wear down too quick, makes a nice finish and doesn't constantly gum up and try to burn the cutters. Looks like what you are using is working well.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

khntr85

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on April 03, 2017, 04:23:06 PM
khntr85- Im sure I probably missed it somewhere, but what wheel are you using if you don't mind me asking? We use CBN wheels but the last one we had re-coated didn't last as long as we think it should have. Wouldn't mind trying a different type as long as it grinds plenty fast, doesn't wear down too quick, makes a nice finish and doesn't constantly gum up and try to burn the cutters. Looks like what you are using is working well.

Hello no problem my friend....I currently use CBN wheels mostly, but I also still use my stone wheels.....I know this will sound strange, but it really just depends on my mood....I used to use the stone wheels on really bad chains to save some life in my CBN wheel...but since I have already paid for the wheels by grinding some local guys chains, I have been using the CBN wheel for about everything lately.....I have 2-wheels, one for .325 and one for 3/8....

I got my CBN wheels form diamond wheel company......where do you get your CBN wheels, and how long did they last before you got the recoated.....did you ever dress your wheels with the white stones, it is supposed to clean the wheel.....I got one included with each whee when I bought them.....you can still burn cutters with CBN wheels, just have to use the tap method....

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: khntr85 on April 04, 2017, 08:54:08 AM

Hello no problem my friend....I currently use CBN wheels mostly, but I also still use my stone wheels.....I know this will sound strange, but it really just depends on my mood....I used to use the stone wheels on really bad chains to save some life in my CBN wheel...but since I have already paid for the wheels by grinding some local guys chains, I have been using the CBN wheel for about everything lately.....I have 2-wheels, one for .325 and one for 3/8....

I got my CBN wheels form diamond wheel company......where do you get your CBN wheels, and how long did they last before you got the recoated.....did you ever dress your wheels with the white stones, it is supposed to clean the wheel.....I got one included with each whee when I bought them.....you can still burn cutters with CBN wheels, just have to use the tap method....

Ok, this wheel is a Radiac and I may have been mistaken as this may have been a new wheel and not re-coated. I may have gotten that mixed up with one of our other cbn's. We do clean the grit with a white oxide dressing stick. We haven't had any problem burning cutters but you can feel it's grinding slower and also see and feel the grit is starting to smooth out. It's still got some life left but I can tell it'll need replaced before too long. I'd say we've had this wheel for a year or so, not sure how many chains we've ground with it seems like this wheel just didn't last as long as it should have. I may look into a CBN from diamond wheel company once this one quits and see how it does. Thanks for the info.

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

OH logger

are those CBN wheels the same as a borazon wheel?? that's what I use and got it from Comstock. seems to work better than the stone wheels
john

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: OH logger on April 04, 2017, 05:59:27 PM
are those CBN wheels the same as a borazon wheel?? that's what I use and got it from Comstock. seems to work better than the stone wheels

Borazon is a brand of CBN  :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

OH logger

john

khntr85

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on April 04, 2017, 10:30:34 AM
Quote from: khntr85 on April 04, 2017, 08:54:08 AM

Ok, this wheel is a Radiac and I may have been mistaken as this may have been a new wheel and not re-coated. I may have gotten that mixed up with one of our other cbn's. We do clean the grit with a white oxide dressing stick. We haven't had any problem burning cutters but you can feel it's grinding slower and also see and feel the grit is starting to smooth out. It's still got some life left but I can tell it'll need replaced before too long. I'd say we've had this wheel for a year or so, not sure how many chains we've ground with it seems like this wheel just didn't last as long as it should have. I may look into a CBN from diamond wheel company once this one quits and see how it does. Thanks for the info.

Now I don't know what kind of whee you have excactly, but I do know on the instruction sheet with my CBN whee it said to never do carbide gains with my wheel....I wonder if it's possible that ou have a wheel for doing the carbide wheels mixed in....it would definitely cause cutting issues....

Also what kind of grinders do you guys use/have.....

Woodcutter_Mo

khntr85- This wheel is a Radiac brand CBN wheel, I believe to be an 80 grit as it says "B80" on the side. It has done a good job of sharpening chains but my only concern with it is it seems to have started to wear out sooner than normal, maybe just didn't have enough grit. I'll probably just try a different brand such as the brand you or OH logger mentioned next time to compare. Our chain grinder is a Foley.

Thanks for the info  :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

khntr85

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on April 05, 2017, 10:40:26 AM
khntr85- This wheel is a Radiac brand CBN wheel, I believe to be an 80 grit as it says "B80" on the side. It has done a good job of sharpening chains but my only concern with it is it seems to have started to wear out sooner than normal, maybe just didn't have enough grit. I'll probably just try a different brand such as the brand you or OH logger mentioned next time to compare. Our chain grinder is a Foley.

Oh I see....if you don't mind me asking, where did you get it and how long have you had it....I can see the wear on it...

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: khntr85 on April 05, 2017, 12:27:49 PM

Oh I see....if you don't mind me asking, where did you get it and how long have you had it....I can see the wear on it...

I believe we got it from Radiac. We've had it for right at a year and I doubt we've sharpened more than 50 chains with that wheel, although some were prety badly rock chipped chains.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

khntr85

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on April 05, 2017, 01:45:40 PM
Quote from: khntr85 on April 05, 2017, 12:27:49 PM

I believe we got it from Radiac. We've had it for right at a year and I doubt we've sharpened more than 50 chains with that wheel, although some were prety badly rock chipped chains.

I see....I have only ever used the CBN whee I have from diamond brand, so I don't have anything to compare to....I just seen that a lot of guys that grind a lot of chains in volume seem to use the kind I got....I am sure there are better ones made somewere l, you know how that goes....

khntr85

Ok here is a .325 Stihl RM I did last night with the CBN wheel....I have not done the rakers yet...

khntr85

So I cut down a few silver maples in the back yard that are blocking sun to my raspberry/blackberry patch.....wow it always amazes me how easy these soft woods are to cut....I always cut hardwoods so this was easy cutting....I used my 026 with a 18" bar....the chain is Oregon full-chisel....I sharpened the  chain at 25-55-10....I didn't get a pic of the chain but I did get a pic of the wood chips....

khntr85

So any one got any more pics of chains the have hand sharpened or ground....

Woodcutter_Mo

I may grind one of my spare chains later this week, if so I'll get a pic of a ground chain.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

khntr85

Cool, good deal...

What all grinders do you guys have....I only have the Oregon 520.....

Have you ever played with square grinding....I haven't ever tried it...

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: khntr85 on April 12, 2017, 08:26:56 AM
Cool, good deal...

What all grinders do you guys have....I only have the Oregon 520.....

Have you ever played with square grinding....I haven't ever tried it...

Our grinder is a Foley, I'll have to check the model. It's an older model. No havnt done any square grinding on chains that I can remember. In fact, most of them we have done so far have been smaller home owner chains.

Edit: The chain grinder we use is a Foley 308
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

I didn't get around to grinding any chains this week, got backed up on a bunch of other stuff..
But here's a couple pics of our chain grinder.

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

khntr85

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on April 14, 2017, 09:30:11 AM
I didn't get around to grinding any chains this week, got backed up on a bunch of other stuff..

That thing is built like a tank....do you guys have a saw shop???

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: khntr85 on April 15, 2017, 12:07:45 PM
Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on April 14, 2017, 09:30:11 AM

That thing is built like a tank....do you guys have a saw shop???

Yea it probably lacks some of the bells and whistles of newer grinders but it's definatly built well and there's hardly any plastic on it :o. I'd think as it sits, it may be more limited to what chains you can grind but normal common every day chains it seems to do a good job. 

We have a sharpening service, we do mostly carbide tipped circular saws and chipper knives ect but had alot of people asking about chains so we brought that grinder in.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

khntr85

Very cool!!!

Nothing wrong with that grinder, will probably outlast any new style grinders

khntr85

Ok guys common now, I know all you guys file or grind your chains....let's see some pictures guys!!!

HolmenTree

Ok khntr85, here's a few pics. Not filing the cutters but filing the drive links  :D

The most neglected part of a sawchain is the drive links. After normal wear the hook in the leading part of the drive links wears down and the transfer of oil for lubrication and the clearing of wood chips in the bar groove is diminished greatly.

End result is rapid wear of bar and chain, extra heat, binding in the cut and lost cutting efficiency. Look at the last picture and see the comparison between the drive link I filed and the others from normal wear.

Oh and notice my hand filed angles on the cutters with just a touch off the depth gauges :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Wouldn't be a complete comparison  without a pic of new drive links

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!