The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: wanted advice on buying a very low cost dependable 4x4 pickup truck  (Read 1727 times)

Offline summerwood

• I'm new and need advice on a 4x4 pickup please
Hello Friends,
 I want advice on buying a very low cost dependable 4x4 pickup truck. I would love to spend no more than 3,000. I do not want any fancy stuff. I do not mind crank windows, no radio or fancy electronics.  I want a 7 foot bed, manual transmission, a good supply of used and new parts available, good safety in crash tests, one owner, brand, year,  etc.  What is the best source of information to research trucks ? I would want to be able to haul a trailer with a car on it sometimes. I have heard that Toyota makes good trucks, and Nissan also.

Thanks in advance for your help

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
Re: wanted advice on buying a very low cost dependable 4x4 pickup truck
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:56:50 am »
Yes, Toyota are great trucks (I have a 2x4) but you are not gonna touch one for $3,000, even with 200,000 miles on it!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline square1

• Full Member x2
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 05:28:30 am »
There's an old saying: Dependable, Low cost, 4x4 pick-up - Pick any two

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:53:01 am »
summerwood,welcome to the forum.
I don't even know if you can buy a plow truck for that.
Oops,some may not know that saying,plow truck,only used to plow snow with,motor maybe be half gone,can't pass the state inspection.
Check out any ads and you will find the prices.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 07:30:19 am »
The art of the deal. If you find a $3,000 truck you may end up putting more than $3,000 into it. Good Luck
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:36:04 am »
Oh there are some gem's out there. You are probably looking at a late 90's truck.
a truck that old will need some TLC.

My buddy bought a 90 Dodge 2500 Cummings for $2,800 off of Craigs list. Pretty good shape but right away he needed tires, dry rotted, and brake lines, rusted.

Good luck, Keep us posted on your progress.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 08:39:22 am »
I bought one about a year and a half ago, 90 Silverado, older gentleman who took care of it. It went to work with me and lasted about 6 months and blew the head, new crate motor and it blew the tranny, then radiator which blew the head again. fuel tank, bearings... you get the idea, its a 10 grand truck that is worth about 2 grand now. As a friend said "you bought it at the wore out price  :D". If a truck has a hitch on it, it has been worked.

Offline gasman1075

• I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 08:45:25 am »
I bought a 2001 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with 100,000 miles ( already had new frame ) for $6,000 3 years ago and it has worked out very well.
JD 790/Stihl MS310/Stihl MS261 / Timberwolf TW-P5/ Norwood Skid-Winch

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 09:25:21 am »
Dependng where you are at 4x4 s may be tough to find . I was in FL. a month ago and thought I might find a cheap 4x4 work truck . NONE the exporters are buying anything they can get and loading them on a ship at Jacksonville .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer and not near enough time

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:01 am »
I know where there is 85 chevy 4x4  4 speed8 foot bed Florida truck you can get for $2500. It's rusted to heck from salt water immersion but runs. Stopping is a issue though as all the brake lines are rusted bad.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline summerwood

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 02:55:53 pm »
Hello Friends,

You are off to a great start with the advice. I have read all your nuggets of advice and they are much appreciated and helpful. Let me tell you my goal. I am trying to find the sweet spot and spend as little as possible to get a truck that I will not have to spend much money on for years but that will do the job and be the lowest starting point I can get.
 In order to not waste time and money, maybe I should start a LLC and get a loan and buy a more expensive truck on payments so I can take the costs off of my taxes. I need to buy a good one that will last for many years and not strand me way out in the woods ( miles ) down slick red clay log truck rutted roads where only another 4 x 4 or log skidder could pull me out after many wasted hours. I cannot afford  to waste time and money stranded. Dependability is the number one factor ! I am not getting the truck for messing around, but serious business and I do not want to abuse it on purpose, but off road can be hard and cake it up bad with mud !
 Sometimes on some roads the clay is white and sticky and builds up on your shoes and tires like every time you put your foot down a layer builds up.  I would like some decent pulling capacity so I can tow a trailer with a car and maybe one day a sawmill.

I would love a manual transmission with an overdrive since they are more dependable and you can start a dead battery by rolling or pulling and popping the clutch.

Any advice on truck rating sites like edmunds and consumer reports or kelley blue book ? Is there something better ?

What is the favorite truck among foresters and loggers ?  Can you please narrow down the pro's and con's of the many choices.

I personally prefer low maintenance tried and true things like crank windows and getting out and locking in the front hubs. If  you have any trucks to recommend or trucks to steer clear of based on personal experiences, those are valuable info bits also
Thanks

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »
The others are right, cheap and good don't belong in the same sentence. Your budget will get you a beater at best especially in a 4x4 which likely will become a money pit in a hurry. Unless you buy in the southwest rust will be your enemy. No frills bare bones pickups are scarce, those generally go to fleets where they are rode hard and put up wet.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline pinefeller

• Full Member x2
  • youngest sons first sentence: "Pa cuts trees"
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 07:23:30 pm »
well 3gs puts you in the 2wd range....if your a good haggler. my personal favorites are 73-85 chevy trucks.... and im a ford guy generally. :D super cheap and easy to maintain, look nice and no computer crap (for the most part)
do yourself a favor and spend 6gs to start.  or buy a lease turn in and get a payment.
we the willing, led by the unknowing,are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 08:26:59 pm »
i have been looking for another 95-97 ford f250 with a 7.3 diesel mine has almost 500k on it and has only had fuel pump 1 tranny  100s of tires  ;) and brake lines nothing else but every thing around here is a rust bucket for 5-9k

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 08:47:29 pm »
My favorite truck is one that starts at - 30f after sitting all day . my next favorite is one with air when it is 95 f . They are all good after you fix what's wrong with them .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer and not near enough time

Offline mometal77

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 12:46:13 am »
I agree 7.3 is a good motor I dumped over 1700 into mine new injectors and much more. Good advice.  Water oil the color. Is there a clanking sound in the rear. When parked get under the thing with card board and see how much slop is in the drivetrain.  Did the owners start the rig prior to you showing up to buy the thing can indicate that it may be hard to start in the first place.  Take the rig to an Oreillys and get a free diagnosis.  Some construction companies I worked at when doing the oil change we would send out the oils to a company to see how much wear was in the engines/transmissions.  Cardboard for any leaks go get a coffee have the rig running and for 20 min let it idle and see if any leaks.  I bought my diesel at an auction and it has a seal leak it died half way through while being auctioned off so i got it for a good deal.  Friend who was with me used to rebuild transmissions and we went to wally world and got some dexron tranny fluid. Every 4 months i put about a gallon in the thing.  Its about 1200 to fix and replace the seal.  Plus taking it to a car wash for what 10 bucks do that under carriage wash then drive it down the freeway pull over get under the thing and check for leaks. 
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets...I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Offline Warren

• Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.... Col. 3:23
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 03:26:22 pm »
Picked up a (well) used 1996 K1500 4x4 with v8, automatic, and 220K miles about 18 months ago.  Significant rust on the corners of the fenders.  Was a former KDOT state truck.  Then my local mechanic used it for a number of years to run parts.  Safe, reliable, starts, stops and drives.  But ugly enough that no one asks to borrow it from me. ;D    $1800 OTD with 4 new tires and a new radiator.   There are some deals out there.  You just have to be patient, AND, have the money in hand to pull the trigger when they pop up...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C, W&S Forklift, Baker Edger ...  And not near enough time in the day ...

Offline summerwood

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 06:47:31 pm »
Hello Again helpful Friends,

I am taking notes on your good advice.  Forestry forum is very good to find people that know what they are talking about. Please keep providing  the tips and experiences.

Any ideas on the best place to look for total cost of ownership on trucks from the 70's up til now ?

best place to look for actual tests done on muddy slick roads that give hints on which ones require the least maintenance. ?

side note:  I have driven a truck before that would get mud on the tires and then when I got back out on the paved road, the mud would make the tire out of balance like it had a 6 ounce wheel weight on one side.  A major pain.  I have thought of maybe painting the  solid rims really good then maybe spraying some kind of non stick coating on the rims right before I got in the mud. Any ideas to keep the mud from sticking or at least make it so it would sling completely off on the paved road at high speed ?

Thanks

Offline pinefeller

• Full Member x2
  • youngest sons first sentence: "Pa cuts trees"
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:30 pm »
dude... your really overthinking this...but whatever you get, put boggers or swampers on it, and detroits front and back, then mud will no longer be a problem... and (as a bonus)they always feel like they are 10oz out of balance so you wont have to worrie about the residual mud in the wheel problems ;D
we the willing, led by the unknowing,are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing.

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 07:08:43 pm »
For the price... give up on it being a truck and most likely the manual transmission.  Mid to late 90's SUV's are just as capable, but much cheaper because it's not a "truck".  Bought my 97 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban for $1200 and have put about $300 more into it over the last year ($200 right away).  Has manual transfer case shifter, and crank windows, but they did not offer them with a manual trans.  320K miles.

The price specified and the age that will require means individual vehicle maintenance is more important than make model etc. 

You also don't need an LLC to claim business expense.  Just declare on taxes a sole proprietor.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.