iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Importance of planting trees

Started by charlesjohnson, March 17, 2017, 01:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlesjohnson

Trees are the valuable assets of the earth. It plays a vital role in maintaining temperature. But what is happening now? Deforestation and destruction of natural resources, leading us to a big trouble. In an article, I read that 2016 was the hottest year (http://solution105.com/im-going-miss-barrier-reef/). If we go like this, The whole earth will turn into a dry land due to overheating. It is important to plant trees and bring the equilibrium. What are your views about this?

thecfarm

This is in my little world in Chesterville Maine.
I live on family land,my father passed away at 72,he could not remember the land ever been logged. Yes,firewood,but never logged. So only 10-20 cord a year was cut. I had white pine trees 3 feet across,some even almost 4 feet. When we first started we could see out through the woods. After we stirred the ground up,due to skidding the logs out with our tractor or even just the tree hitting the ground,the trees started to grow.
I brought a guy up here from work,with your way of thinking. I started him out in places we had not cut,than some we had just cut and than a year old and than 2 and then 3. Changed his way of thinking. In the 3 years cutting the ground was covered in small white pine trees. most of my woods are hard to walk through now. The pines are so thick,even a person 20 feet away you can not see.
In my woods the trees are a growing. Yes,they should be thinned so they will grow better lumber,but have not done that yet. Where I had 100 trees I betcha I have more than 1000 now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

to the best of my knowledge the harvest rate has only surpassed the growth rate for 1 year in the united states and it was in the early 90s  :)  the rest of the time we cant cut timber fast as it grows :D this is only in the U.S.A i havent seen any reports world wide but i suspect it is about the same. even in the rain forest where logging was in the news so much its no problem to cut out all the old growth timber but there is always 50 or more comes back in the place 1 giant  :) the crown area is what matters as far as air quality and the new growth will surpass the crown area of the old tree in only a couple years  :) i cant see any real harm other than no big trees left for the kids to see in the future ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WDH

In the US South, the Forest Service FIA data show that growth is exceeding harvest.  Still, planting or regenerating trees after harvest is important for the future.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roger2561

Where I live in NH, what used to be fields is now wood lots.  No one is farming anymore so the fields are turning into wood lots.  Thankfully no one has developed them into housing, yet.  Roger
Roger

Magicman

In my area something green is gonna grow.  Even clear cuts will be completely covered with vegetation the next year and I can not see where it matters much whether it is a green tree which impedes ground growth or smaller vegetation that does not. 

Yes the earth may be getting hotter, but "the sky is falling deforestation" is not necessarily the reason.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pabst79

If a person lives in or spends too much time in a urban area or concrete jungle I could see how one could be worried about deforestation and habitat loss. I live in a very rural area surrounded by thousands of acres of Pine plantations and some older growth forest, some Oak prairie. People from out of the area always complain when a section is clear cut, I would agree it looks awful for a couple years, but come back in 5-8 years and its  totally changed, lots of new growth trees, the wildlife loves it too. You won't see many deer or turkeys wasting any time in a 50 year old stand of Red Pine, but sit in a section of Jack Pine that was thinned or clear cut a few years back and you'll see plenty of wildlife. The State just clear cut a section of White pine and Aspen down the road from me, they replanted about 2400 acres with Red Oak and left some nice big Red and White pines, in 16 months since it was logged, you can already see how different and nice its going to look.

As far as what's been going on in South America, I really have no idea, I hear it's bad and the sky is falling, but have no way to separate fact from fiction.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Autocar

Where I live we lose woodlots every month they changed the land tax and forest land is taxed at the same amount as farm ground. The wind seems to blow every day and as a boy it only blew hard when a thunder storm was coming. Iam  almost 70 with know children but I do worry about the future for the next generations I believe water will be the big issue. There putting field tiles every twenty feet I wonder how we ever get any ground water anymore. Our logging chapter is working on different programs trying to educate landowners of the importance of woodlots and tree lines in general. Most of the time I feel like we are p###ing into the wind but then I talk with OH LOGGERS son and I am ready for the battle ahead. The sad thing it all seems like it rotates around the all mighty dollar. Maybe we need to tell them when it is all said and done we all will end up with a four by six hole in the ground.
Bill

Den Socling

The vast majority of scientist who study climate change believe that the increasing amount of carbon dioxide is a leading cause of the earth heating. And they also believe that trees are a major trap of CO2. However, our "yard" is actually woods with the underbrush cut down to short weeds. Walnut, cherry, oak and pine saplings are always popping up everywhere. I'm afraid that I mow off hundreds of trees. Then again, areas that have been clear cut greatly benefit from tree planting.

fishpharmer

Climate change has apparently occurred since the beginning of time.  Just ask the dinosuars.  I am in the same camp as WDH,  Autocar and MM, planting trees is important for the future.

Concerning carbon dioxide consumption, I wonder how a 1000 acre corn crop compares to a 1000 acre tree crop?  Anyone know of comparable research? 

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Den Socling

The problem with the current climate change is that it is occurring so fast. The melting of the icecaps is happening now and very rapidly. I recently read an article about islands in the South Pacific that are now seeing flooding. Oddly enough, the indigenous people on these islands are Catholic and don't believe in climate change. Why not? God just wouldn't do this to them.  :-\  And the world is going to see devastating coastal flooding before the end of this century.

As for corn vs trees, you might want to read this. http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/47481.html Trees are long term while corn is nothing but a small blip.

fishpharmer

Den, thanks.  I am not naive enough to think humans have not impacted our environment and possibly the climate.  Thanks for the link, I will read it. 
The 88 million of acres of corn planted in 2015  https://www.usda.gov/nass/PUBS/TODAYRPT/acrg0615.pdf
is a big blip, not to mention millions of acres of the other crops.  There is bound to be some research somewhere concerning carbon conversion benefits of other crops besides trees.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

florida

The islands in the south Pacific that are flooding, there are actually very few, are sinking. Their problem has nothing to do with sea level rise and everything to do with pumping their ground water out allowing the land to sink.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Den Socling

Yes, you are correct, fishpharmer. That is a huge area covered with crops that do sequester carbon dioxide. The problem is the limited time before they are burned or rotted and release the CO2 again. That's why trees are so great. They can tie up the CO2 for many years.

Land subsidence occurs in areas like CA's Central Valley where huge amounts of water are pumped for irrigation. That doesn't happen on the islands I mentioned. Here is another article. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/10/five-pacific-islands-lost-rising-seas-climate-change

nativewolf

and re carbon sequestration from row crops, that does not happen.  Actually the fuels spent in getting fertilizer, prep, planting, spraying, harvesting, and drying mean that row crops are net negatives.  Properly maintained pasture can be a long term positive as the grasses can sequester huge amounts of carbon in the root systems.  Still, they don't compare to trees. 

Trees...they are just great carbon sinks and nothing beats them. 

Re island in the pacific yeah there are a few hundred thousand in trouble-no doubt.  The real tragedy is going to hit first in Bangladesh.  The glaciers re melting in the himalayas and as the rivers and ocean encroach on the delta that basket case of a country is going to fall apart (personal fear).  10's of millions are going to be homeless.  No where to go either, India does not want them and neither does Myanmar.  It will be the first great environmental tragedy of my son's lives.  At least the Dutch will have the technological prowess to adapt and the wealth to respond. 
Liking Walnut

Den Socling

What I want to know is where is the guy who started this thread?  :D He probably thought "Forestry Forum, here are tree-choppers who need bashing".   :)

fishpharmer

Quote from: Den Socling on March 21, 2017, 12:53:55 PM
What I want to know is where is the guy who started this thread?  :D He probably thought "Forestry Forum, here are tree-choppers who need bashing".   :)

:D :D

Theoretically, all the extra CO2 should help the plants and trees grow much faster.   ;D   

ppine

many environmental organizations are focused on tree planting.  They fear deforestation.  The reality is that we have too many trees from neglect.  Logging and thinning are required on more than 100 million acres of National Forest land just to create some fire resilience.  One hundred years of fire suppression and little logging in the last 30 years has created vastly overstocked forests. 

Tree planting is fine, but first there needs to be harvesting to make room for new seedlings.  Public volunteers make poor tree planters.  They get tired in about 2 hours and are bad about J roots and planting at the right depth. 
Forester

moodnacreek

The enemy of the forest is the farmer and the developer. [we have to eat, drive on paved roads and have a roof over our heads] In my part of the country the only reason to plant trees is to replace lost species if that will even work. A field here not plowed or mowed will go straight to the pioneer trees. The do gooders that visit the mountain forest here want to plant trees but there is no room for them. We actually need to cut more.

barbender

This disconnect in people's do gooder minds drives me nuts! Logging is not deforestation, not unless the loggers are followed by dozers and housing developments or agriculture, like Moodna said. 

The only reason to plant trees in my area, is to influence the species type for whatever management goals you have.

In many areas, encroachment by trees on habitat where they are not wanted is a problem. Back to that fire suppression issue. In Minnesota, a lot of areas that were treeless swamp meadows because of intermittent fires now have trees and brush encroaching, which has caused the sharptail grouse numbers to fall. Sharptails need large open areas.

Even areas in Minnesota's prairie region have been getting encroached on by hardwoods. 

Outside of Minnesota, one of the most widespread encroachments is by Eastern Red Cedar. I got to take part in a project in Nebraska on the Missouri River breaks, which are completely overgrown with ERC. The state is actually paying for people to eradicate it from their property.

I could go on🤷

Too many irons in the fire

Tom King

Here, Pine trees grow back thicker on their own than if they are planted.

barbender

There are places in the world (Old World, mostly) where they are planting trees to reforest areas that were denuded of trees by chronic over harvesting for fuel wood etc. 

I know I've read of areas in Isreal that were historically forested that Isreal is actively replanting now. The problem is, in those parts of the world, sometimes when the vegetation is stripped it actually changes moisture patterns, or how moisture has recieved as some of it is only dew that settles on the leaves and needles (read about Canary Island Pine sometime for an example). Once the trees are gone it is hard to get that pattern re-established.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Here is the profile of the land from the river front showing change in elevation above sea level in a direct path to the provincial legislature. Goes from 3 m elevation to 10 m at the legislature steps. That street along the river has flooded a handful of times, all freshwater from up river rain events including man influenced with hydro dams. No one is screaming in the streets about the sea taking over. Note that the Lord Beaverbrook art gallery is practically on the river bank. This is about 60 miles from the Bay of Fundy.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!