iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old guy knowledge. get it while you can.

Started by doc henderson, March 16, 2023, 12:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

So I am old and getting older, for some time yet i hope.  We all know there is no guarantee about tomorrow.  It may seem impossible, but life does go on when the end occurs.  I had a few questions regarding my home built log splitter yesterday.  I call my brother who did road construction for years and knows hydraulics.  I called my friend Greg, who retired from a high end implement dealer.  He has run my splitter and helped me rebuild the control valve.  I called my buddy Dallas as he runs a manure spreader and buys the 5 gallon buckets of hydraulic fluid by the pallet.  prices have gone up so hated to over react.  

When we worked on the valve it solved the leak from the valve, but later the O ring under the valve was leaking, and I do not like leaks.  In the process of finding a good new one, two different venders, and replacing it, a hose flopped below the level of fluid in the tank and I lost some.  All problems fixed, so I finally decided to top off the tank.  it was still on the visible gage, but I had a couple of partial buckets of the 303 trans/hydro fluid.  The first has only a little so used it first.  as I tipped it up, I saw a flash of "clear" so I just put water in the tank.   :o :o :o   :snowball:  So the question was what should I do?  drain the whole 19 gallons of fluid?  Ignore it since it was prob. an once or so?  add something to pull water out?  Finally saw the drain on the bottom (not low on the side) of the tank.  the tank angle and slight low spot there made it seem possible.  It had sat for an hours.  Did not run the machine.  pulled the plug and saw a flash of clear, put the plug back in.  lost about a gallon of fluid.  

got the range of it wont hurt unless the fluid turns milky, to drain the whole tank.  I called the guy at Split-ez named James as he has always made sense, and has built high end splitters, and seems to not mind answering questions.  It is a family business.  the phone was answered by his wife Penelope.  She told me he is retired, but would call me back.  I have talked at length in the past about the auto split valves, and dump valves.  He called me this am, and we talked for 30 minutes.  He agreed that we all have some water from condensation, and at working temps, it prob. evaporated as the tank breaths each cycle of a large cylinder.  I had topped the tank off yesterday, and saw the level vary 1/8th inch each time I cycled the cylinder.  We review the benefits of the dump valves (no speed up in cycle time but less heat so it prolongs the control valve life.  We talked about the auto cycle valve and safety vs convenience.  We spoke at length and so friendly, I felt I had knew him personally for years.  We devolved a little into work ethic vs disability ect.

not sure if this makes any sense, but I asked him his age.  76.  they are selling off slow mover items slowly, and other items they are continuing.  Poor economy, so no buyer for their business.  He laughed an said his money making days are over, and never made that much money anyway.  they once supplied high end splitters to CAT rental places.  when he is gone, who knows where I will get this kind of first hand, expert detailed expertise?  Well on this forum for one.  It was such a great experience this am I thought I would share.  I may order some stuff, or not.  I had called in part, as I was looking for a new filter, and they had them at 2 bucks on the web site, it should be 22 bucks.  Please feel free to share you experiences.  We all know that school is just the start of our education.  Nothing beats experience.  Some keep on learning from experience till very late in life.  James is one of those people.  Greg is also retired and recommended the small drainage of fluid from the bottom.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jimbarry

That's a good read Doc. Thanks for posting. As for schooling, I've always looked at it this way. School should be there to teach the basics of reading, math (including balances a home budget) and writing. Yes, cursive writing. 

Everything else the school system exposes to children is more or less to to present the kids with different ideas to see what they might be interested in. Could be the science fields, or music or sports or theater. And don't forget the trades, carpentry, electricity, plumbing. You know, the basics. I seen a report the other day from one of our school districts, next year a semester of trades will be offered and it will be a requirement to pass high school. Smart I say.

SawyerTed

Being a lifelong learner helps keep life interesting.  There's no telling who might be today's teacher.  Seems Ike I'm learning from younger people more and more. 

Unfortunately, the internet makes "experts" out of anybody who can fog a mirror.  At least that's what some people think, just ask them.   ::) :(

Several years ago, there was a debate about the "death of expertise".  I've since concluded it is really a death of respect for expertise - trades included. 

BTW, in NC nearly 90% of high school graduates have taken at least on Career and Technical Ed course and over 70% take a sequence of 4 or more CTE classes.   CTE includes Agriculture, Business, Family and Consumer Sciences (Home Ec.), Medical Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Marketing, and Trades - Auto Tech, Carpentry, Masonry, IT, Fire Fighting and so on.  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

GAB

The first thing they try to teach you in school is to learn to read so you read to learn.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Sedgehammer

The day you stop learnin, is the day you die

I love talking to old fellers. Lots of knowledge in the ones that's done a few things. Loves listening and talking to my gramps, specially on my pa's side. Those days are over of course now. I hopefully become one of those that the younger folks like to talk to. So far so good, but time will decide how much time I have left
Necessity is the engine of drive

moodnacreek

There is only one sawmill expert left that i know that is older than me and he is 300 miles north of here. Over the years I have read and collected any literature i could find on the sawmill. The talk to the man who has seen it all before and after the reading and work on the problem, that is the way. Many things said to me in the beginning where not understood at the time but the words stayed in my head and came back and helped me latter.  The fact that the old boys are gone is almost too much to bear. 

RetiredTech

@doc henderson 
  It's getting harder to find those Mom and Pop shops that will take the time to get to know their customers. I already miss my tractor/equipment dealer. He sold his business last year and retired. People today in general are getting increasingly impatient and rude. No time for real relationships as long as you've got a bunch of friends on social media. They could learn so much from the older generations. Instead they let all that wisdom slip quietly away and don't even realize whats being lost. You are my age so I guess your seeing the same thing I am. Old folks are getting closer and closer to my age, and there's fewer of'em.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

doc henderson

We are becoming the Old guys, so we can teach each others our own age and the younger ones.  It is becoming our turn.  How many younger folks realize that.  some do.  In the old days many things were taught by apprenticeships.  now some young folks out of college think they already know it all.  Depends on how they were raised.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

Actually, apprenticeship is still very much alive.   Many states have active apprenticeship programs that are tied to high school and community college/tech school.  Others states have industry led or labor organization led apprenticeships.

Here's a link to NC's program.  

https://www.apprenticeshipnc.com/
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

NC recognizes over 800 occupations as "apprentice-able"

rusticretreater

Virginia has an active apprentice support system as well.  One of the biggest and important apprentice programs in Virginia is the one at Newport News Shipbuilding.  The US Navy needs ships and repairs.  There are seven offices around the state to sign up with a registered apprenticeship program.  An internship with pay.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

47sawdust

GAB said it well.Learn how to read,always be curious,and don't be afraid to try new things.
You also have to some vision and gumption.Most of all make yourself valuable.
I am 76 and still have people calling me to do carpentry work.
I am very fortunate and I know that could change at any moment.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

GAB

Old can and does creep up on you.  One day, in a lull, after my dad died I was in somewhat of a daze sitting and sthinking when it dawned on me that I was my grandfathers oldest name bearing male heir.  That got my attention.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

SwampDonkey

Apprenticeship is alive and well here in all the trades. You can't get certification without it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

low_48

I find it very difficult to give sage advice to young woodworkers on the internet. They reply with a bit of indignation, especially when I explain seasonal wood movement. About ready to completely give up with that. 

WV Sawmiller

I used to teach a maintenance management/work process software to clients. I was a user - not a data dink. I would teach how the various modules interacted and how to use them. Once the clients personnel learned how almost any of their users would become faster and better at their phase of the work than me. The problem was they did not always understand how their work affected the next phase of the work. The same was true when I was in the USMC. My tech could prepare a requisition for a spare part much faster than me but he/she did not understand what the accounting code did or how putting a wrong code in a field would result in the us paying big money for something that was supposed to be free from higher HQ.

Also in almost every class the dumbest person in the class would still teach me some new trick or shortcut that made my life easier. I loved that part of the work. Also teaching different clients helped me help future clients. A client at a chewing gum factory might have found the answer that solved a big problem for my next steel mill client. The size of the motor or pump might be much smaller but the principle was the same. 

I remember teaching one class with an angry union shop steward who thought the new software was just a tool to help the management/owners cut jobs and he started to take that anger out on me till I told him "Look, here is how you use this new software the company has ordered you to use to show them they don't have enough electricians to do the work you are being told to do. Using this software/program you can immediately justify more overtime or more help." After that he was he was my biggest advocate. I told him "The company wants to increase profits not just cut costs. If you can show them how spending more money will make them much more money or save them other costs, they will do it."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

Quote from: low_48 on March 24, 2023, 04:13:03 PM
I find it very difficult to give sage advice to young woodworkers on the internet. They reply with a bit of indignation, especially when I explain seasonal wood movement. About ready to completely give up with that.
I feel your pain I try to advise those using wide air dried boards to find a warm airy indoor space for them weeks before their project. Wasting my breath.

SawyerTed

A younger friend got some oak lumber from me for a dining room table.  He made the top then wrapped it with a 1x3.  I tried to get him to let the top float in the frame with oval shaped holes for screws to let the top expand and contract.  

He didn't.  He fastened and glued it all the way around.  He promptly put it in his great room where he keeps a fire in the wood stove. 

When it split, he said it sounded like a rifle shot.  

firefighter ontheside

I started at the FD when I was 18.  I knew nothing except what I had heard my dad talk about for as long as I could remember.  I learned so much from the guys who came before me, including my dad since I got to be on the FD for 9 years with him before he retired.  Fast forward almost 31 years and I'm one of the few who retain the old ways, the old knowledge.  I try to pass on specific stuff that I know that others may not get anywhere but from me.  There's only 2 guys at the department who have been there longer than me and one of them is only by a few months.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!