iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another logging season is under way and a question about trimming lumber

Started by Quebecnewf, January 25, 2017, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Quote from: paul case on February 26, 2017, 08:58:59 PM
I am not sure how wide that your ;umber cut off saw needs to be, but we use a 14'' Dewalt metal cut off saw with a 12'' wood blade. It sure works for stuff that is 8'' or less wide. Pretty reasonable to buy too and can be had from Lowes. I think if you build a frame, wood or steel, for your rollers then set the saw between them works pretty nicely.

We have had one of these saws set up and running that has cut more than 1500 1x4-4' a week for the last 3 years.

PC

Paul is that what you cut your stringers with?  I have a retired trim carpenter that hangs out at the sawmill here and there and helps out just for something to do.  He was tailing my chop saw the other day when I was cutting stringers and he was just wincing.  Says I'm gonna burn out the motor.  He brought me over a radial arm saw to use, and I put a new blade on it and he cut out around 500 stringers with it, but I wasn't there watching. Anyways, I brought a couple units to the pallet shop down the rd and the owner was giving me some ideas to increase my production, and he showed me a couple of his chop saws.  One is a big Baker double head, pneumatic chop, pneumatic stops, powered infeed/outfeed, feeding a C model resaw... way outta my league.  He had a home made 240v one that was pretty slick and then he had a similar dewalt chocktaw I use.  He said it is handy for certain things and that's why he keeps it around but he burns them out pretty fast with alot of on/off work.  The one I use is a sliding compound miter saw that I got for building stuff and other things, hoping for it to last me a long time, I don't needa be burning it out cutting pallet parts! 

So what advantages do you see to using the metal one with a wood blade?  Is it more heavier dutier?  I have a metabo metal chop saw that was busted I got for free and fixed it up.  Possibly could use that. 

I recently acquired a home made 240v chop saw that has a 26" blade on it.  My friend is fixing up a few things on it for me before I feel safe using it.  I did test it out on some 7x9's and it worked good but is scary.  But it's not really all that safe right now with the shields and the way the handle is kinda no good.  The previous owner said he could cut 800 stringers/hr with it.  I don't believe him but that's what he said.  If it was true that would be awesome.  I'll prolly start off cutting 5-6 at a time with it and go from there.
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

I tried a big miter saw. It broke within 1 day. I have a friend in the pallet building business and he uses a 14'' metal cutoff saw with a wood blade and his will cut an incredible amount of lumber before giving up. I know that for him the switch will quit first, then he rewires another switch and goes till the motor dies. They were made to start a lot. It is easy to fix up a long table for them with set stops and they can be swapped out for another one if you have troubles.The table should be fixed up so that the little pieces you cut off to square up the first end fall out the bottom into a trash can so there is less handling junk.
We cut 2 at a time pretty regular. I have found that if the boards are stacked up at knee level and higher the cutoff operation Is not nearly so hard on the operator.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Quebecnewf

That is my concern . All the starting and stoping for long periods will put a lot of strain on the motor. Most chop saws are used a bit and then they get a rest while you nail together the pieces you have cut. No other option at this time for me. I like the homemade swing saw but wielding is not my thing.

Quebecnewf

DGK

I just bought the 15" Hitachi Mitre Saw. It has a 5 year warranty so I am hoping that I won't burn it out.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

DGK

No, it was brought in by the local lumber yard for another customer who didn't pick it up. It is a well built, all metal industrial saw popular for cutting 6" crown moulding vertically.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

bushmechanic

We used to have a trim saw that was a factory affair I believe. I don't have any pictures of it so I will try and describe it. It had a long mandrel over eight feet with a saw on each end, then there was a moveable table on it. You put the stud on it, lined it up and pushed it through the saws, instantly trimmed on both sides. You could do either eight foot or precuts by moving the spacers on one of the saws. The metal chop saw with the saw blade works good too as a pallet maker here found out. Oh and that trimmer was ran by a eight hp Briggs and Stratton. 

Quebecnewf

I thought about something like that as well. Problem I will be trimming 8/10/12 ft material so need to move one blade every time you change length. I am more or less committed to a chop saw with roller tables on each side and stops at 8/10/12 ft. I know it will be hard on the saw all that starting and stopping for long runs of time but she will just have to suffer I guess. The best setup for this would be a continuous running motor on a swing blade but they seem hard to come by. Not a welder so building my own not an option at this time.

Our logging season is coming to an end still good in the woods but we have cut 625 logs so that's a good year for us . Lots of snow here yet. Dug out sawmill . Most likely start sawing next week.

Quebecnewf

ChugiakTinkerer

bon_fire

Thanks for the input on the winch.  Hope all goes well (or went well) in getting the kiln back on its feet.

CT
Woodland Mills HM130

Quebecnewf

Kiln is still on its side and pretty much snowed up.
As you can see in this pic.

Will be unloading the lumber out of it on the weekend if things go as planned. Upright it after the snow melts

Thank You Sponsors!