iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dang that ladder

Started by WV Sawmiller, March 16, 2017, 07:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Piddled around the house all day till a customer called and came by late afternoon to look for a walnut slab to make a counter top. I had some up to 10' long X 2" X 16-18 inches live edge. They are stickered and stored on a shelf 7-8 feet off the ground. I had some plastic pallets below the stack for extra height and to help keep the another stack of lumber clean. I was on a small extension ladder about 4' off the ground moving slabs when the ladder slipped on that slick plastic, fell and I rolled backwards into a pile of ash lumber. Other than a few scrapes and bruises and embarrassment (which will heal quicker than the bruises) I seem to be intact. I think I scared the customer more than me. Anyway just a reminder if using an extension ladder be sure it is firmly grounded on a solid base.

The good part is the customer found a nice 10' slab and bought it. I even took it to the mill and squared off the back for him which turned out real well. Much easier for me to trim it on the mill than for him to try to snap a line and circular saw or use a table saw.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andy White

WV Sawmiller,
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I have had all I'm going to take from gravity. All ladders are forbidden at my place now. If I can't reach it, I don't need it.   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Howard violated the "Forestry Forum Ladder Rule" which clearly states that we are forbidden to use/climb ladders.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Is Cerebral flatulence an acceptable excuse/explanation for such un-forumlike behavior?

I can't believe I survived with no more damage than I received.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on March 16, 2017, 09:25:14 PM
Howard violated the "Forestry Forum Ladder Rule" which clearly states that we are forbidden to use/climb ladders.   :-\

Per DoctorB, that rule applies to anybody over 50 years old  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Czech_Made

red

If you climb a ladder to fast, your going to come down faster.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 16, 2017, 09:41:46 PMMM, Is Cerebral flatulence an acceptable excuse/explanation for such un-forumlike behavior?
I certainly hope so because most of the time that is the only excuse that I have. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I survived the night pretty much intact but sure have a stiff neck. I guess the human body in not intended to be rolled up in a ball like that especially at my age.

To add to my discomfort I scrapped my L elbow yesterday while digging post holes at the end of my firewood stack. I had run the pile dry and was putting in posts to replace the stacked up cinderblocks there. I should have moved the blocks before putting the post holes in, not after. I have plenty of use for the blocks out at the woodshed. They were stacked on the end of the bed of cross ties I use for my woodpile and took up space and get out of level when stacked too high.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!