iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snake repellant yard plants?

Started by sandhills, March 16, 2017, 09:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

I have heard cedar chips/mulch may work.

OntarioAl

I hear tell that hogs are purity good at cleaning out snakes and then there is always the old Remington 870 sanitizing the area with lead (oops steel) shot  ;D
Al
Al Raman

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Now that's a flock of  guineas. And then some. I had 6 here at one time when we had the greenhouse business. Had more than one customer ask how I could put up with that noise. Tried to tell them guineas are just like a good watch dog,when someone is around,they will let me know. Guineas will even tell me when a hawk is around,dog will miss them. They was just a squawking one day,could not see why,than I saw the hawk up in the tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

What's with those couple chickens muscling in for a better look at the snake?

timberking

Down here, I see a lot of a plant that slips my mind on the name.  Big leaf that contain serin.  was told it repelled snakes.  I will remember after I log out.

Den Socling

As I mentioned someplace else at this forum, I recently bought an 8mm movie projector and a screen so that we can watch old movies. The other night we turned one on and my son, Garrett, was about 2 years old. (He's now 38!) I was teaching him how to handle a snake. He was fascinated and had no fear of holding the little Garter Snake. Of course, he grew up with no fear. Same with our daughter, Jessica, You scaredy-cats should try it!  :D

Magicman

The King Snake that I pictured in the Spring Coming? topic was back this morning sunning.  I now know where it goes to hide.  Well one of the spots anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DelawhereJoe

Quote from: timberking on March 23, 2017, 10:24:31 AM
Down here, I see a lot of a plant that slips my mind on the name.  Big leaf that contain serin.  was told it repelled snakes.  I will remember after I log out.
Are you thinking of the caster bean plant, oil was also used for 2 cycle engines, Motor oil, as a laxative, mole/vole repellant and a few other things.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

timberking

Yes , caster bean.  Not sarin but still some bad stuff.

Den Socling

Caster beans contain ricin so they are toxic but I don't think they pose any risk. In AZ, they are often used as ornamentals.

WV Sawmiller

I knew castor plants were used as mole repellent but never heard of it used as a snake repellent. My grandfather used them to kill/chase off moles and planted some every year. When I worked in Cameroon in western Africa I found plenty of castor plants growing there. I assume it is one of the plants brought over from there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!