The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Snake repellant yard plants?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
Re: Snake repellant yard plants?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 10:17:08 am »
I agree, just don't want them in my house, this time of year on warm days they'll sun themselves on our gravel roads, I used to catch every bull snake I could find and take them to the farm to put in rat holes.  Now dad has enough cats (and no more hogs) you don't see rats or mice anymore.  I also was told to put a few minnow traps around the walls, I guess it works good.

Ray I'll look into that, we have good friends that own our little hardware store I'll ask about it.

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 01:43:13 pm »
If I remember right, that snake repellant is nothing more then chipped up mothballs anyway, just a stink that burns there "nose".
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 02:45:14 pm »
A Black Mamba! That's a bad one. I remember a book I read one time about a Black Mamba. I believe it was loose in NYC's Central Park.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 06:25:04 pm »
   I think I read that or a similar story but I thought it was an Australian Tai-Pan. I read later a black mamba is the world's fastest snake and one of the most aggressive biting multiple time. One will crawl in a hut at night hunting mice and someone rolls over on it and it goes crazy and bites and kills everyone. A grown one can even kill an elephant. Fortunately this one never got aggressive. I'd put a bushy stick in front to slow him down or make him turn but he never felt threatened. Here is his picture from my wife's website.
OFFSITE PHOTOS NOT ALLOWED PHOTOS MUST BE IN FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

About 2 weeks later we were up on Lake Tana (Headwaters to the Blue Nile) in the north part of the country and locals kept telling us about the pythons there so on our last day a kid came up telling us the python was back. By the time we got there they had chased him into the papyrus rushes and we finally spotted part of him and at last his tail. I grabbed it hoping to pull him out for a picture and the crowd scattered but he was too strong and got free. I don't know if he was 10, 20 or 30 feet long.

The biggest snake I can verify we encountered was this green anaconda in Ecuador December 2008. It looked to be about 20' long. It was near a Shaman's village and looked to about 20' long. I was holding the grass back while my wife took this picture from about 3' away.
PHOTOS MUST BE IN FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY  Our guide wanted us to catch and relocate it on our return trip because the villagers had killed one the year before and we were up for the action and pictures but we could not find her on our return.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 07:24:53 pm »
You obviously have an extraordinary wife. It makes me think of a time when I was installing a vac kiln in Australia. The building had no walls and was surrounded with woods. You could hear the kookaburras and see kangaroos in clearings. Patti was with me and was thinking that the woods looked pretty inviting. She was wearing shorts and sandals. She asked the local guys if it would be OK to go for a walk. They looked at her like she was nuts and said definitely not. Heck in Australia, they have spiders that will attack you.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 07:48:33 pm »
I have heard cedar chips/mulch may work.

Offline OntarioAl

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:39 pm »
I hear tell that hogs are purity good at cleaning out snakes and then there is always the old Remington 870 sanitizing the area with lead (oops steel) shot  ;D
Al
Al Raman

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 02:07:23 am »
Just get some guineas...

Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 05:57:09 am »
Now that's a flock of  guineas. And then some. I had 6 here at one time when we had the greenhouse business. Had more than one customer ask how I could put up with that noise. Tried to tell them guineas are just like a good watch dog,when someone is around,they will let me know. Guineas will even tell me when a hawk is around,dog will miss them. They was just a squawking one day,could not see why,than I saw the hawk up in the tree.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:12 am »
What's with those couple chickens muscling in for a better look at the snake?

Offline timberking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 10:24:31 am »
Down here, I see a lot of a plant that slips my mind on the name.  Big leaf that contain serin.  was told it repelled snakes.  I will remember after I log out.

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 11:59:18 am »
As I mentioned someplace else at this forum, I recently bought an 8mm movie projector and a screen so that we can watch old movies. The other night we turned one on and my son, Garrett, was about 2 years old. (He's now 38!) I was teaching him how to handle a snake. He was fascinated and had no fear of holding the little Garter Snake. Of course, he grew up with no fear. Same with our daughter, Jessica, You scaredy-cats should try it!  :D

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 01:50:26 pm »
The King Snake that I pictured in the Spring Coming? topic was back this morning sunning.  I now know where it goes to hide.  Well one of the spots anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 08:11:00 am »
Down here, I see a lot of a plant that slips my mind on the name.  Big leaf that contain serin.  was told it repelled snakes.  I will remember after I log out.
Are you thinking of the caster bean plant, oil was also used for 2 cycle engines, Motor oil, as a laxative, mole/vole repellant and a few other things.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline timberking

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 10:10:04 am »
Yes , caster bean.  Not sarin but still some bad stuff.

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 10:44:59 am »
Caster beans contain ricin so they are toxic but I don't think they pose any risk. In AZ, they are often used as ornamentals.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 01:31:37 pm »
   I knew castor plants were used as mole repellent but never heard of it used as a snake repellent. My grandfather used them to kill/chase off moles and planted some every year. When I worked in Cameroon in western Africa I found plenty of castor plants growing there. I assume it is one of the plants brought over from there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"