iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snake repellant yard plants?

Started by sandhills, March 16, 2017, 09:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Anybody know of any such thing?  We get garter snakes in our basement bad and my wife has a bad phobia of snakes, last summer she used moth balls around the basement walls (outside) which worked but really made the basement stink.  They come in under the siding I'm pretty sure but it seemed to keep them away, we want to do some landscaping this spring just wondering if any of you have any ideas on something that might repel rather than attract them, really just need to put new siding on but that won't happen until next year, gotta do a roof first, fun fun.

Chuck White

Hello Pat; I don't know if it really works or not (haven't tried it myself) but I've heard that if you put down a strip of powdered or pelletized lime that snakes won't cross it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

We had copper heads real bad when we first moved here, so bad they once got on the dozer, Dow hollared, dip dripping down his chin, sorta finished but did not return for many years, his son did, he said to hunt them down and eraticate them bout the only way he knows,  we did discover a mess of them, have  not seen a one since saving all the king snakes we can, still don't help your wife's phobia, had to kill a hog nose bout  year ago at the basement door, that was a scream to remember!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Thanks Chuck, anything is worth a try and we have plenty of that around here.  drobertson, if you want a scream to remember come show one to my wife  :D, on second thought that may not be such a good idea!  I've never seen any poisonous snakes around here but you don't have to go too far to find them.  They don't bother me so much but can't say I like the thought of them in my house or crawling across me in bed some night, I'll try the lime and report back, I know it smells better than moth balls!

Den Socling

Pick up a Garter snake. Don't try to restrict it's movements. Let it crawl around and move your hand to to keep it in your hands. Sometimes they can leave a stink but they won't hurt you at all. Show your wife how gentle and pretty they are. Maybe she will get over her phobia.

I introduced my kids to snakes this way when they were 5 or 6 years old. They grew up with no fear of snakes. We used to hike a lot in the woods. When we would come across a rattle snake, we would look in awe and then pick a path around it. Nobody would freak out.

Kbeitz

$100.00 of spray foam should fix your basement problem...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

No repellant needed for our yard.

This guy laid in the sun most of today soaking up some rays.  As long as I have it, I will not be concerned about any others.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Kbeitz, the basement walls are very sound and solid, I know they can get through little to no hole what so ever though.  I truly think they come in above the foundation under the siding, it's the old partical board type and pretty loose around the bottom (the foam may work there) just got some other issues to fix before we can afford the siding, but any pipes going in or out already have it around them to fill in any excess space, thanks.
Lynn, if my wife saw that in our yard she'd burn the place to the ground, get the payloader and push it in the hole it left  :D, I ain't joking either!  I really don't mind them outside but she just wanted rock in front of the house thinking they wouldn't like it, I think it'd be like a nice spot to sun for them.

Magicman

I have never seen anything other than King, Garter, and Corn (chicken) Snakes here at home.  Now at the Cabin, there is no limit and everything goes.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Over the years I have seen eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, ground rattlers, coral snakes, cotton mouths, hundreds of black snakes, banded water snakes, ring necks, mud snakes, red and yellow rat snakes, garter snakes, grass snakes, hog nose snakes and probably others in our yard.

My wife is afraid of all of them.  If y'all discover an effective anti snake spray you could probably name your price and she would buy it.
Caveman

thecfarm

I sell some Snake B Gon at work.  I can't remember the name brand Bonide,Ortho.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

I have the best snake repellent you can get ill give it to you all  SNOW  just come and get it  :D :D 8) 8) other than that I have nothin  :) :)

DelawhereJoe

I just found a sad looking grass snake today  while mowing some over grown area. The poor snake was so cold he could barely muster the strength to roll over onto his belly. After spending about 30 minutes in the sun he had the energy to move back to the bottom of the wood pile.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on March 19, 2017, 05:20:40 PM
I sell some Snake B Gon at work.  I can't remember the name brand Bonide,Ortho.
does it come 25 or 50 to a box

thecfarm

coxy,It might,we are a small store,I only sell a couple a year. No bad snakes around here,so not much call for it. I can order 1-2-3-4 at a time.
My wife is that way with mice. Cat came up to her once with a mouse in it's mouth. Was not a good scene. I am glad I was there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

25-50 to a box as in Winchester or Remington  :)

thecfarm

That went over my head.  :-[    ;D

goose63

My little 410 shot gun works good :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

coxy

goose63  got it  22 or shot gun shells  :) :) :)

WV Sawmiller

We had copperheads here when we moved in 27 years ago. Once we got the multi-flora roses and other brush cleared they disappeared. We do still have harmless water snakes along the creek who occasionally get in my minnow traps as only harm they do. I release them unharmed if I can. We have a few garter snakes and ring necks but nothing harmful. I wish I had the Magic Man's black snake in my barn to clear out the mice.

I don't kill any of them now unless they are a threat to kids or animals around someone's yard. I even let an olive colored snake go in Ethiopia when on vacation after stopping if for my wife to take pictures as was not near any villages or such. We looked it up when we got internet. Turns out it was a young (5') black mamba. Grown is a little over 8' and big is over 14'.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandhills

I agree, just don't want them in my house, this time of year on warm days they'll sun themselves on our gravel roads, I used to catch every bull snake I could find and take them to the farm to put in rat holes.  Now dad has enough cats (and no more hogs) you don't see rats or mice anymore.  I also was told to put a few minnow traps around the walls, I guess it works good.

Ray I'll look into that, we have good friends that own our little hardware store I'll ask about it.

DelawhereJoe

If I remember right, that snake repellant is nothing more then chipped up mothballs anyway, just a stink that burns there "nose".
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Den Socling

A Black Mamba! That's a bad one. I remember a book I read one time about a Black Mamba. I believe it was loose in NYC's Central Park.

WV Sawmiller

I think I read that or a similar story but I thought it was an Australian Tai-Pan. I read later a black mamba is the world's fastest snake and one of the most aggressive biting multiple time. One will crawl in a hut at night hunting mice and someone rolls over on it and it goes crazy and bites and kills everyone. A grown one can even kill an elephant. Fortunately this one never got aggressive. I'd put a bushy stick in front to slow him down or make him turn but he never felt threatened. Here is his picture from my wife's website.
OFFSITE PHOTOS NOT ALLOWED PHOTOS MUST BE IN FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

About 2 weeks later we were up on Lake Tana (Headwaters to the Blue Nile) in the north part of the country and locals kept telling us about the pythons there so on our last day a kid came up telling us the python was back. By the time we got there they had chased him into the papyrus rushes and we finally spotted part of him and at last his tail. I grabbed it hoping to pull him out for a picture and the crowd scattered but he was too strong and got free. I don't know if he was 10, 20 or 30 feet long.

The biggest snake I can verify we encountered was this green anaconda in Ecuador December 2008. It looked to be about 20' long. It was near a Shaman's village and looked to about 20' long. I was holding the grass back while my wife took this picture from about 3' away.
PHOTOS MUST BE IN FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY  Our guide wanted us to catch and relocate it on our return trip because the villagers had killed one the year before and we were up for the action and pictures but we could not find her on our return.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Den Socling

You obviously have an extraordinary wife. It makes me think of a time when I was installing a vac kiln in Australia. The building had no walls and was surrounded with woods. You could hear the kookaburras and see kangaroos in clearings. Patti was with me and was thinking that the woods looked pretty inviting. She was wearing shorts and sandals. She asked the local guys if it would be OK to go for a walk. They looked at her like she was nuts and said definitely not. Heck in Australia, they have spiders that will attack you.

Thank You Sponsors!