iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Americarna - NZ US car festival.

Started by Ianab, March 16, 2017, 04:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

We have a local car show every few years for American cars (which are unusual in NZ)

This clip was done by a friends daughter. He has an old turbo Firebird (the Red one they are riding in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0CDY3EPHk
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

That's a lot of nice looking American cars. They will feel right at home among those cars.

Edit: If my post doesn't make sense it's because an administrator thought it was necessary to delete one slightly political line.

samandothers

Very cool!  Looks like something here in the states.... except the wrong side of the road thing.  ;D

Mustangs appear to be popular.  Like several of the old 50's model trucks I saw.

Thanks for sharing!

sawguy21

I am surprised to see that number, they must cost a fortune to import. Then there is the price of gas and parts, it would be a wealthy man's hobby.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

I heard a story about enthusiasts in Sweden that collect and restore classic American "boats", like big Caddies, Lincolns and such. They get together and go out cruisin'.
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 16, 2017, 07:00:12 PM
I am surprised to see that number, they must cost a fortune to import. Then there is the price of gas and parts, it would be a wealthy man's hobby.

Yeah, they aren't cheap, especially a nicely restored classic. Gas isn't such an issue as few of them are daily drivers.

The main problem is that steering wheel on the "wrong" side thing.  :D
If you simply import a car from the US, it needs to be converted to RHD before it's road legal here. This can be done, but it's not cheap.  The other way is to prove you owned and drove the car for x months overseas, ie, it's YOUR personal vehicle. Then it gets issued with a LHD permit and can be registered and driven. The permit stays with the car, and you are free to sell it later, with permit included. 

So the usual way they end up here is either Kiwis working contracts in the US, or Americans doing jobs in NZ. Kiwis buy a car over there, drive it around, and bring it home. Americans bring a car with them, and sell it before they leave. Getting the US car shipped here is relatively straight forward, it goes in a shipping container, and other personal items get packed in with it. 5 weeks later it turns up at a port in NZ and you get it inspected, certified and registered.

About 1/2 the cars imported into NZ are already used, generally from Japan, so the import process is pretty streamlined and most regular production cars are allowed in.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Raider Bill

We do a couple a year from down under. Before the shipping container is opened there has to be a US customs officer and a representative/appraiser of the owner present. The seal is broken in front of everyone and nobody can touch it until it is inspected inside the container. Then it is rolled out, customs does it's thing sometimes with a dog. After that the appraiser/representative inspects for issues and everyone signs off.
The car is either flat bedded or put back in the container to be sent to it's final destination.
Just for grins here are a couple I've done. Both were brought into the U.S. by the same buyer in 2 separate boxes.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!