iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 132 XL

Started by XMartin, March 15, 2017, 09:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XMartin

Thanks Barge Monkey.
It is raining today, and the forecast is for rain the next few days.  I am looking forward to getting started.  I will call the previous owner again, he said I could call with questions.  What oil he used, which fuel to use, what that other button on the dash is for....  The machine really needs some TLC.

XMartin

Well, the rain let off today, I was able to explore my Franklin forwarder.
   The engine serial number is,  4D-33365.  The previous owner, "Larry" told me that at some point he switched the engine from a 353 to this 453. I found a link that said this is a 1978 year engine. It has a blower, but no turbo on it.  I need help figuring out what engine I  have here, is it a "Silver"?
  As Larry suggested, I drained the fuel tank, and pulled the fuel filters. The fuel looked a little milky, but if there was water in the tank it was all in suspension in the fuel, no visible water came out first.  The petcock on the filter housing did allow a few drops of water to drain out before the fuel.  I thought the fuel collected from the filters smelled like gasoline, can't figure that one out. Larry told me the engine was fine when he traded it, he thinks the smoke is from water in the fuel, I'll start with fresh stuff. I will pick up some fuel and filters Monday.
   I also discovered the master cylinder for the brakes is trash, the line runs down to the bottom of the transmission, I'm guessing whatever is down there isn't quite up to snuff either. Not my number one priority yet, but I think brakes would be nice to have. Apparently Larry didn't, the last paint job hasn't worn off the brake pedal.         Later.
   All the hoses are missing most of the rubber outside layer. $$$        Later.
   I need to find a manual for this thing.  The rear of the transmission has a swinging lever that looks like it may be a filler cap, except there is a substantial spring that holds it closed.
  The wiring looks like a rat nest, again, I can wait to sort that out.
  The muffler has some cracks in it, but looks like it can be welded.
   The Franklin has a top mounted loader, with braces running down to the front frame. On the back the top is bolted to the rest of the frame at about seat height, those hinges are all welded solid, not too concerned about that, not sure why I didn't notice that before I bought it but, it is what it is.
   Right now, I need to get the engine right.

Corley5

Did he move the radiator ahead to fit the 4-53 ???  My 132 has the 3-53 and there's not much room between the fan and the radiator :)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bushmechanic

If the serial number starts with a 4 then it's a four cylinder, a 3 is a 3 cylinder and so on. The model number will give you more on how it's configured. If that machine is smoking white heavy smoke and runs ok I would suspect an injector has failed. This would also give you the knock when it first started and went away. You can do an injector cut-out test but that may not tell you which cylinder has the issue, the only sure way is pull off the exhaust manifold and it will be the wet hole. Good luck with your "new" machine 8)

tacks Y

You can also start by feel, find the exhaust port that does not get as hot.

XMartin

Corley5,
He must have moved the radiator,  yesterday I noticed mounting holes in the frame where the front engine mounts must have been for the 353.

bushmechanic,
I was looking at the option plate yesterday, the serial # is,  4D 33365  5043 7001.  Its raining again so I promised to go to a movie, I haven't been to one for about 20 years, not looking forward to it.  Once I get the new filters and fuel I'll fire it up and do the injector cut-out test.

tacks y,
I'm going to go over some posts again to review how to do the cut out test.  Someone mentioned using an IR thermometer to check for a cold cylinder.

Once again folks, thanks for the responses!

XMartin

I picked up my newly rebuilt engine.  Harold, at Leid Diesel told me that water had gotten into two cylinders and next time it was started it bent two rods, they gave me one with the sleeve. The rod bent enough to break out the bottom of the sleeve. Before I re-install the engine, I need to  finish replacing the bearings in the transmission and 

replace a brace between the frame rails at the mounting area for the blade, both sides are cracked, one side completely.

nativewolf

glad you are making progress with it.  Too bad about the fluid & the rods.
Liking Walnut

bushmechanic

That's a common problem when water gets down the exhaust pipe, goes right to the top of the pistons with the valves open. Soon as you crank the engine... bang bent rods. Should always cover you exhaust if it's being left for a while anyway. If its done right you will get some time out of the new engine. Good luck!

coxy

yep been there done that had my skidder for about 4 years nothing ever got in there then one night of heavy rain and must have been parked just right the next day she was done  :(

Thank You Sponsors!