iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hearing protection for dogs..

Started by Jesper Jepsen, March 15, 2017, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesper Jepsen

Well it is a kid of safety issue but not for my self but for my mate. I have/wuld like to have my dog with me when milling lumber with my CSM but the noise aint good for those ears so I'm looking for some way of protection his ears from the noise from the chainsaw.
Being half Husky and half German shepard not having him in leash is not an option  I wont be milling anything but running after him when he decides to scout out the whole neighborhood. At the moment I put the leash around a tree so that he is a distance from me but he  would like to be able to come over to me when the chainsaw is not running. oh yea his is a dads dog.
Any of you have any experience or thoughts (or both) about protecting him from the loud noise from the saw.

Jesper

pine

I have had the same question at times and will watch for any good suggestions. 
The prick ears that these type breeds have make it more of a challenge.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

And if you didn't feel like spending $105 on dog earmuffs, maybe you could leave the dog in your car with the windows open on the side away from the noise ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

My other dog did not care for the noise of the tractor. Soon as I started it,he would get away from it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DelawhereJoe

I know some animal that don't like noises will just go somewhere else, same with people. I also remember hearing of a lady in Florida that tried to put a sweater on her dog it attacked her, her husband and son, mind you the dogs name was Scarface and was a pitbull but some animals don't like things put on them.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

thecfarm

Start them young with anything you want to do with them.
Being cold here,we put a coat on the wife's dog. She is out for hours with me,but it's her dog.  ;D She picks her legs up so we can put her feet though the holes of the coat. Well I really should say,so she can. The dog does it really all by herself. Comes off just as quick.
Another thing,I work at a hardware store,every 4th Saturday of the month the local animal shelter comes in and does nail trimming. We get many dogs in there that have never had that done. I feel so sorry for the dogs,they are so afraid. They can not understand what is happening to them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Mutt muffs. Shea has a pair that she wears in the shop when it's loud.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Bert

I have no suggestions to help but i do take my yellow lab to the mill everyday. He has free range but once the detroit starts he usually isnt seen. He goes off in search of rodents or whatever dogs do. Every now and then he'll pop in to see how many logs are left on the deck. Once the engine shuts off he knows snack time is on.
Saw you tomorrow!

Jesper Jepsen

Well the solution came in the mail yesterday. A pair of Mutt Muffs and he dont seem to be bothered by having them on so are looking forward to later today where we are going out to mill some logs together and he got to try them on for a longer time. 

thecfarm

Thank You Sponsors!