iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scragg, definition?

Started by Holmes, March 15, 2017, 08:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holmes

What does scragg mean?  Scragg wood, scragg mill.?
Think like a farmer.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Holmes

I looked up scragg and it is defined as ugly, scrawny, unkempt, . A scragg mill would be an ugly wood mill, usually short logs.
Think like a farmer.

TKehl

Seems they are also often used for small diameter recovery.  Not a lot of value there, so the $ is in volume.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Den Socling

I was a consultant a long time ago for a company that built themselves a PLC controlled scragg mill. The PLC would set the distance between a gang of blades to get as much as possible out of a log. They were after 3" Red Oak newels. The dogs would pick up the log and run it through the blades. In a matter of seconds, the entire log would fall apart as flitches. It was pretty cool.

Before the scragg was an automatic bucking saw. It would grab a log, a big chainsaw would come down and the job was done.

After the scragg was a line of rip saws. This mill was cutting squares.

After the rip saws was a bunch of chop saws.

Standing in the control room watching the operation running was pretty impressive.

Under the floor that held this operation was another system that handled the strips and sawdust. They would recover small squares from the strips.

In the end, the company went bust. Chinese would do it cheaper and Red Oak went out of style.

Cedarman

We use a band scragg on cedar 11" and down to 5" x 6' to 11' long with majority being 8'.  Cedar is hard to center properly and takes about as long as loading and sawing.  The best was when we were sawing 6" x 8' into 4x4.  We sawed 90 logs  sorted to 6" in 50 minutes.  Load log, center, end dog, through blades, back, rotate 90 degrees, reset blades to 4", back through blades, release end dog, back carriage and reload.  All done in 45 seconds.  4x4 stacked,  slabs either down belt to hog or through multihead for more lumber recovery.
Many scraggs are 2 bladed with a sharp chain and logs go continuously through the logs.  Then through another blade to make a 3 sided cant that goes through another gang of saws.  Many variations depending on what is needed out of the logs.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!