iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tips, Tricks, and any other helpful Advice

Started by SFires, March 14, 2017, 11:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFires

So here's the deal. Do to a recent job promotion I've found myself working on saws.   Alot. Now up until this point I've never worked on saws much at all. I've always been pretty good at maintaining my personal saws (cleaning/general matnince) but that's about all. Funny thing is that I've found that I really enjoy working on them (honestly it's a surprise to me because I HATE HATE HATE working on anything small and tedious) so much that I've actually started picking up old broken saws and fixing them if able and trying to learn as much as I can from them. And that leads me here. I figured this would be the best place to ask for any tips tricks or advice you guys could give to someone who's just starting out in the saw repair world. I've mostly been working on stihl's mainly because that's what I run personally and also what my company runs but I've picked up a couple old echoes and an old husky. So any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

pabst79

2 things I can think of that always help me on projects like small engine work are, start with a clean work area, and take a few pictures while disassembling, especially if its a motor/part that you are unfamiliar with. I had problems with the oiler on my 290 a couple years ago, I got frustrated and tore it apart too fast, lucky for me that experienced help from the FF got me out of a jam and I got the saw working again.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Ox

Whenever I run into a bad line or carb I'll replace the whole bunch - all the lines, filter and carb too.  This way there are never problems for me in the future.  I've had lines look fine, not leak fuel but were sucking air from microscopic cracks is why I do this.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

JRWoodchuck

There is a guy on youtube who is really great with small engine stuff. I believe his name is DonyBoy. He goes over lots of stuff with saws.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Babylon519

I started fixing motors etc on my '69 VW Beetle over 40 years ago. I learned right from the get-go that if I understood Why that part is there and What it does, then I wouldn't forget to put it back where it belongs. Sometimes I wouldn't see how it works immediately, but I knew if an engineer thought it should be there, well it must do something! Taking a picture before the teardown can be helpful, but nothing beats understanding the purpose of the part.  - Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Thank You Sponsors!