TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Selling Stuff here on the FF  (Read 488 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
Selling Stuff here on the FF
« on: March 14, 2017, 07:18:35 pm »
Jeff's rules/requirements for selling here on the Forestry Forum should not be misunderstood or taken lightly with his Reply #3 above. 

Personally every item that I have ever posted here for sale (probably 6) have sold within a very few months.  The first item was a diamond ring that a family member had been unsuccessfully trying to sell for several months. 

I posted it here and had a buyer in less than 10 minutes.   :o

One item went to a buyer in New York proving that the long arms of the FF travels far and wide.  8)

Just a tip: With each item, I contacted Jeff beforehand and he helped me to word the for sale ad.  He has a knack for inserting words and phrases that generate interest and attract searches and potential buyers.  The 5% sales commission was a fair price to pay for his professional sales service.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
Re: Selling Stuff here on the FF
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:22 pm »
Thanks for the reminder. I just checked with Jeff to see if a commission had been paid on something I bought. It had not. Check is in the mail tomorrow. I've bought 2 things on the forum and have checked back and paid the commission now on both. I understand how it happens, the check is cashed and it's forgotten. So from here on out I think I'll take an envelope and stamp and 2 checks when I pick something up. The seller gets his check and Jeff's check goes in their mailbox right then.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:56 pm »
But the seller is responsible for the commission, not the buyer.  Now the price could be jacked up to cover the commission or an agreement could be made at the transaction time and it would be OK, but the seller is still responsible to insure that the commission is paid.

Honesty and integrity is what one does when no one is looking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:47 pm »
Precisely, it has been the seller's responsibility both times I've had dealings, however, they have dropped the ball. I'll pick up the ball a time or two but that ain't working. I'm proposing that in our face to face transactions we go ahead and make sure Jeff's check gets sent while we are both standing there and it is fresh on everyone's mind.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:50:36 am »
Honesty, Integrity, and following your word is important.  People who post an ad here and agree to the rules, but then ignore them after the sale, have none of that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:49:33 am »
Try not to infer malice where it probably doesn't exist. We need to figure out a better system of payment.

Offline Ricker

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:18:49 am »
The honor system is a tough racket these days. Intentional or not, Jeff still needs income to keep the forum up and maintained.  I wonder if it may be work out to charge a set fee or smaller percentage for all ads when posted.  Whether you sell your item thru the forum or not, you have used a service to put your item in front of a targeted audience.  Just a thought...

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:12 am »
The honor system is a tough racket these days. Intentional or not, Jeff still needs income to keep the forum up and maintained.  I wonder if it may be work out to charge a set fee or smaller percentage for all ads when posted.  Whether you sell your item thru the forum or not, you have used a service to put your item in front of a targeted audience.  Just a thought...
that's a thought I know some papers you have to pay to run a ad whether you sell or not

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 11:15:56 am »
When I sold the old Garrett skidder for my friend last summer I asked the buyer if he saw it on the forestry forum.
He said never heard of it saw it on craigs list.
My friend still sent a check for 500 to the forum as a good will gesture.
He is approaching 94 and is failing and is a great fellow.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 Echo
241 acres of woodland