iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

no more big logs

Started by whatwas, March 14, 2017, 11:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

My problem with the few bigger logs that I saw is that my mind thinks I'm still 20 and my body says otherwise. :D
I had surgery on my right shoulder last march and they cut half of my bicep loose, then I didn't take the 3 months off like advised. OOPS!
I would probably slow down some more, but have 1 order for a minimum of 1,000 lb of burls and another for a truckload, both return customers. What's a guy to do? ;D

woodweasel

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on March 14, 2017, 06:54:56 PM
Hydraulics.

I started out with a manual mill. The first time I turned a big log just by pulling a lever I nearly split my face in have from grinning so hard.   ;D
ME TO I'M STILL GRINNING  D

woodweasel

I swore never to do oversized logs again. But I seem to do them anyway ??? ???

isawlogs

I don't do big ones anymore, leave those to the next generation that beleive they have something to prove...  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

killamplanes

I sell my big ones keep 12-20in. But I log alot more than I mill. So I can be picky. Though I've done more than my fair share of trim, turn trim, turn repeat till I say never again in plain english. ;D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

scully

If I do agree to oversized logs I inform the customer right up front the price of milling just went up ! ALLOT!
I bleed orange  .

Darrel

My wife and I were having this discussion about big logs/timbers and beams.  I told her that I charge 15% more per bf on anything thicker than 3" unless the customer does the off bearing. Big logs ok, I have hydraulics. So she says, but isn't there more board feet in a thick piece so you already get more per board sawn. And I said yes, but it's a portable sawmill service not a portable forklift service. And there comes a point when I'm not going to work that hard no matter how much I get paid.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

paul case

I am not portable and I have a forklift. I still charge more for thicker than 1.5'' and longer than 12'. Handling them long and thick boards/ slabs is a lot more work for us, as every piece of scrap and slab has to be cut down to go out the door. Many times we load long lumber back on a customers trailer inside.
It should pay more since it is more work.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishfighter

Having a manual mill myself, I had enough of them big boys. I will never take on another log over 26". Even with a 580 backhoe, it's not going to happen. DanG shame I have two SYP logs that are around 35" on the small ends that I'm not brave enough to tackle. Got them off the ground, debarked, so just maybe one day I will saw them. :D

Treehack

Ya got any friends nearby that are big fellers and will work for dinner?  If I were not so far away I'd come help you out just to see those logs and how you wrangle them.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Magicman

Most of our commercial sawmills now have a 30" limit on SYP, and I got word this week that they will be dropping that to 26".  It's all about the economics of profitable sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

I wouldn't consider a 26" incher to be a big log, but it still has quite a bit of lumber in it. I've cut a few Pondarosa logs that size into 1x12" for board and bat siding. It takes a good number of passes to get it all cut up.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

terrifictimbersllc

Common saying that if you have a swing mill you smile when you see big logs.    :D

More like this....... :-\ :snowball: :-\ :snowball: go_away
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Fil-Dill

Had a white oak blow over on my farm. My dad pulled it to the house for firewood. Cut out log from trunk that measured 38" and was straight. Decided I would cut into full 2x6 for a doc floor. Farmer came to load hay and sat on mill for me. Says on mill EZ boardwalk 40. Easy part was over as soon as farmer left with big tractor/laoder. Took first few cuts off and was smiling from mill doing so nice. Then the fun started. Ended up with 2 pry bars, bottle jack, highlift jack, and floor jack under mill along with a few dozen block. 45 minutes later, my son and I had turned log 90 deg. for next cut. My son looked at me and said, you take alot of slabs off of that log, before we try that again. :D
EZ boardwalk 40

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Each mill and sawyer has A upper limit to what can be handled and cut economically, write it down so you don't forget. Be resolute in refusing to cut larger logs. I can mill 30" on my homebuilt band mill if its a good straight log and will have nothing to do with larger ones especially ones with butt swell, same thing on length, absolute max 16'. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

I got this 34" at the butt loaded today.  It was knot free, I set it up just right on the mill and it milled like a dream.

The loading arm quickly filled up and ran over with boards that will have to be edged.  A edger and two helpers to run it sure would be nice.

The shadow in the photo is as slow as I am. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Nice, you can really make production with those big'uns.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

4x4American

Quote from: paul case on March 16, 2017, 11:45:59 PM
I am not portable and I have a forklift. I still charge more for thicker than 1.5'' and longer than 12'. Handling them long and thick boards/ slabs is a lot more work for us, as every piece of scrap and slab has to be cut down to go out the door. Many times we load long lumber back on a customers trailer inside.
It should pay more since it is more work.

PC

you could use a lorry track.  stack lumber on a lorrytruck and then send it out the door and unload in yard
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!