iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

no more big logs

Started by whatwas, March 14, 2017, 11:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatwas

I have a small manual mill and am going to say "no thanks" to any more big logs. there was a time when the bigger the better but I'm to old, to weak, to slow, and to grumpy to deal with trying to widdle them down to fit.
This is just a hobby set up and I work alone, I like the finish product but spend lots of time cursing while getting there. Any helpful tips from the experienced folks here would be appreciated.

life is good

bandmiller2

Whatwas, Yup like the old German saying "too soon old to late smart". My testosterone is down to the level that I don't mess with the biguns anymore. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Deese

Either split them down the middle with a chainsaw before loading or don't mess with them.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

whatwas

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 14, 2017, 11:29:15 AM
Whatwas, Yup like the old German saying "too soon old to late smart". My testosterone is down to the level that I don't mess with the biguns anymore. Frank C.
never a "true'er" quote :D :D

life is good

WV Sawmiller

Hydraulics.

Work smarter not harder is my philosophy. Don't let increasing age and infirmities stop you from doing what you enjoy in life.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Joe Hillmann

On my mill I prefer logs in the 12"-20" diameter range.  The problem is they don't come around too often.   Usually they are too big to fit on my mill without splitting them or 6"-10"  If given a choice between too big or too small I prefer too small.  I can at least handle them without equipment.

whatwas

i wish they came 19"X19" square
life is good

slider

Either learn more curse words or leave them alone. a chain hoist over your mill would help. I have split several but even on my lt 70 they can be a pain. If you find some of those new curse words ,send me a pm,i am running out.
al glenn

thecfarm

Looks like that log has been around for a while.
I sell my big logs to a sawmill and leave the small ones for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

whatwas

Quote from: slider on March 14, 2017, 04:27:58 PM
Either learn more curse words or leave them alone. a chain hoist over your mill would help. I have split several but even on my lt 70 they can be a pain. If you find some of those new curse words ,send me a pm,i am running out.
Ha Ha,
I'm sure my neighbours (no-one closer than 1000 yds) can back me up on the cursing thing kind-of embarrassing when I calm down, but its usually the same 40 words in different sequence.
I've tried splitting them but only have a 22" bar on the saw and flipping or driving wedges only adds to the work, so back to my original statement, "no more big logs".
really I love running my saw and really enjoy milling lumber but the learning curve is pretty intense sometimes. That's when TFF comes in.
I do have a chain fall above the saw to move smaller logs up or down on the bed but I'm not sure the structure would handle the big ones and yes they have laid around now for a couple years waiting for me to get the gumption to tackle 'em. 8)
life is good

buzywoodliff

Agreed!!!!

I like the 12-20 inch logs.  Mostly because it's still a hobby for me and I enjoy working alone on it.  I do, however , have a dozen or so logs that will have to be quartered just to get em on the saw.  Ash, maple, and oak.  They're gonna have to be done soonish or they won't be any good so I guess I need to bite the bullet and do it.

Delawhere Jack

Hydraulics.

I started out with a manual mill. The first time I turned a big log just by pulling a lever I nearly split my face in have from grinning so hard.   ;D

Kbeitz

I had them curse words figured out a long time ago.
I figured the the devil was making my say them and
well the devil not going to make me do anything...
So HA....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brandon1986

You look like you're well on it with that old 580.. I'd give a body part to own one of those for my operations..

dgdrls

Diesels and hydraulics are tied with a swing mill as a sawmillers best friend, :) 

Sixacresand

I got a 32 incher sweet gum loaded on the mill this afternoon.  Had to use the hydraulic clamp and chain to roll it up on the loading arms.  Me and the cant hook "can't" budge it as with almost all big logs.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DPatton

I'm sure my neighbours (no-one closer than 1000 yds) can back me up on the cursing thing kind-of embarrassing when I calm down, but its usually the same 40 words in different sequence.

Haha :D
I'm pretty sure my neighbor has hear those same 40 words come from my place. Looks like you have a very nice backhoe to handle those big logs. But without hydraulics on your mill those  big one are probably a pain to handle.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Andries

Our family moved to Canada when I was five years old.
My Dad would start swearing in Dutch while driving in rush hour traffic.
GRAPHIC stuff! . . . and little kids have big ears.
Now when a big log rolls off the mill bed when it shouldn'otta, my go-to vocabulary is "Rush Hour Dutch".
Having another language is such a bonus!  ;)

Wish I could mill some regular sized logs - but building log cabin components has paid the bills for the past few years.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Darrel

Quote from: whatwas on March 14, 2017, 05:14:15 PM
yes they have laid around now for a couple years waiting for me to get the gumption to tackle 'em. 8)

I'll bet that's some gumption you regret getting!  And welcome to the forum!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WDH

It is what drove me to a LT40 hydraulic  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on March 14, 2017, 06:54:56 PM
Hydraulics.

I started out with a manual mill. The first time I turned a big log just by pulling a lever I nearly split my face in have from grinning so hard.   ;D
Ain't that the truth! 8)
Now all I have to worry about are my fingers maybe getting a crampy from moving the little levers back and forth.  Oh well, I guess I can live with it. ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

That is some difference from splitting your face in half trying to turn it with a peavy.  :laugh:
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Darrel

I'm trying to see this in my minds eye, hooking the peavy in your left ear and splitting your face in half while trying to turn it to the right useing said peavy.

Interesting
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

4x4American

I saw a guy on the face place splitting a biggun with black powder and it came out pretty neat...If you like blowing things up, you could combine that with sawing and make it just one big ole party
Boy, back in my day..

Czech_Made

Seen it too.  Pockets for powder made by plunge chainsaw cut and fire in the hole :)

Thank You Sponsors!