iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle Kiln Insulation questions,

Started by 123maxbars, March 14, 2017, 10:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I received my kiln yesterday (Nyle L53) I am now educating myself on insulation types and gathering building materials. I found a good buy on the insulation panels shows in the photos below. it is however not extruded but was wondering if this could be used in the chamber build?

Thanks for any advice/input.

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

pine

That looks like the white styrofoam "bead type" product.  If so, I highly recomended that you stay very far away from it. 
Never use the expanded polystyrene (EPS) (white stuff ) according to Nyle.
Nyle flat states do not use it.

If it is the XPS type foam, pink/blue then that is a good type. 
HD had the Foamular 150 on a drastic markdown two months ago.  Don't know if it still is.

123maxbars

Quote from: pine on March 14, 2017, 02:37:09 PM
That looks like the white styrofoam "bead type" product.  If so, I highly recomended that you stay very far away from it. 
Never use the expanded polystyrene (EPS) (white stuff ) according to Nyle.
Nyle flat states do not use it.

If it is the XPS type foam, pink/blue then that is a good type. 
HD had the Foamular 150 on a drastic markdown two months ago.  Don't know if it still is.

You are correct, just got done reading some of the book that came with the kiln. I appreciate your response!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The issue with insulation is how it responds to the heat in the kiln.  With the L53, the heat is low, so the insulation will slowly deteriorate.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!