iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple stump treatment? Garlon 3A

Started by DMcCoy, March 13, 2017, 09:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

Anyone have experience with Garlon 3A applications to fresh cut stumps?  Did you use a sprayer or brush?

I have many big leaf maples(Acer macrophyllum) to get rid of on very steep ground.  It's on the label but that doesn't always mean effective.  Any comments?

DMcCoy

BradMarks

pine

Quote from: DMcCoy on March 13, 2017, 09:24:19 AM
Anyone have experience with Garlon 3A applications to fresh cut stumps?  Did you use a sprayer or brush?

I have many big leaf maples(Acer macrophyllum) to get rid of on very steep ground.  It's on the label but that doesn't always mean effective.  Any comments?

Agree on the Tordon but have been very successful with triclopyr ester (garlon 4) as well.

As to the sprayer/brush question. 
I have found the squirt technique works great.  I do a lot of hack and squirt, more so than cut and then stump treatment but  squirting the stump should work the same.  The device I use comes from a great little company just a bit south of you (owner is a pretty good guy as well ;) ;) ).

Here is a link to  part of the kit I use.  It gives you an idea.  There are other parts, tank, adapter, etc, but you get the idea. 
Works great, just clean well after use.
SPR ST2-T - 2ml plastic syringe applicator

DMcCoy

pine-
These stumps have regrown and the suckers are 2-3".  Hack and squirt is something I have heard about but never done.  Could you explain?  Thanks

BradMarks

Using an axe or machete, you make a hack (gash) in the stem at an angle.  The resulting open cut is called a frill. You fill the frill with chemical, usually 1-2 ml.   Simple as that.

pine

As Brad described. 
I use two cuts on opposite sides for stems of 4 inches or less.  4" to 6" I use 3 cuts. Larger than 6" I use cuts on all 4 quadrants or sides.  It could be described as a cut every 90 degrees.

Here are a couple of links to  the subject.

http://woodlandstewards.osu.edu/sites/woodlands/files/d6/files/pubfiles/0045m.pdf

https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/gtr/gtr_nrs96.pdf

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/benton/sites/default/files/winter_weed_work.pdf

WDH

I have found the best stump treatment to be Tordon.  Be careful with it as it is soil active.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DMcCoy

Thanks for all the links!
After reading it looks like I have several options both in chemical choice and application method.
I have both round-up and garlon 3a already.  I don't see why I could not tank mix the 2(reading the label of course)  Summer hack and squirt would fit my schedule and reduce slash which would make my life so much easier as I limb my trees up as time allows.

I have heard that tordon can kill fir seedlings planted near treated stumps. 

Thanks for all the help!
Dave

Thank You Sponsors!