iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New shoes and more.

Started by Jeff, March 12, 2017, 08:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A couple more weld tacks, add the hinges on the bottom and some sort of top latch, paint, and this will be ready to install. Once the battery situation is taken care of, on to replacing much of the wiring.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Darrel

Anybody who can do a job that looks that good with a hammer that big can do anything! 8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Jeff

That is exactly how I've been making my parts. The hammer, the vice. A block of wood, and the work table edge is all I have for bending and forming the sheet metal. There are hammer marks, but a guys gotta use what a guys gotta use!

Ljohnsaw

IF you want to lessen the hammer marks, get the biggest rubber mallet you can find.  I found that works really good at bending and not creasing/denting your work.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Weekend_Sawyer

I was thinking a trip to the junkyard for a car hood or fender would give you a good amount of sheet metal.

Watching with interest.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Darrel

I've tried doing sheet metal work using hammers and it never looks good, functional yes but looks pretty bad.
1992 LT40HD

azmtnman

Quote from: pineywoods on March 14, 2017, 06:44:14 PM
Somewhere I remember reading that the first production model was 1983.That makes Jeff's mill one of the oldest
My LT30 was manufactured in April of 1984 (serial #143). Battery has been on my redesign wish list too. If my solar charging panels don't work well, it will be sooner than later.

Jeff, are you sure yours will only cut to 3"? I can cut down to 2". The clamping system makes anything less than 4" a PITA but it can done.
I have thought about making something to raise and clamp the cant so I can get down to 1".
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

KirkD

Jeff,

Both the up down and carriage motors and controls look the same as my 1989 LT40 but mine will take a normal sized battery.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Jeff

3" is it. I usually cut a nice straight 3" thick can't first thing, then use that to put under each subsequent can't if I'm sawing on down.

Jeff

Ready to mount as soon as I build the new fender mount. It's not beautiful, but with what I have to work with, I'm okay with it.

Weekend_Sawyer

From my desk chair it looks great!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Look at this mess!

Almost every wire has insulation missing.  Trying to make heads or tales. Over the years before I got it, redundant wires and grounds were ran all over the place when originals failed. And left in place I might add.

New box in place.

This is why this mill only saws to 3 inches from the bed. My finger it pointing to what hits the rail at 3".

Jeff

Battery upgrade complete. All kinds of clearance. Only have to pull the fender out now to get to that battery. Onward to more electrifrying things. electricuted-smiley

Darrel

More electrifying??  This could be interesting, I'm staying tuned!

Looks good!
1992 LT40HD

isawlogs

Did you get the pic I sent you Mister electreessien?   :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I did. I'm thinking I may get some parts to put that control panel back together right.

Jeff

Thanks to Sparks and Wood-Mizer!   I have all the guts coming to rewire that mess in the box, less the wire.  Switch, hour meter, two indicator lights, and a breaker assembly.

scully

Jeff if I am not mistaken WM increased the size of the stater on that for higher charging output etc. If your mill is pre- mod you may want to order a bigger one from WM . Thats if you have the Onan .
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

You may want to pop rivet a flap or something over that opening in the battery box to prevent sawdust intrusion.  I can't tell from the picture about a battery hold down bracket, but a piece of plumber's pipe strap should work nicely to hold the battery against the back of the box.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: scully on March 23, 2017, 01:09:48 PM
Jeff if I am not mistaken WM increased the size of the stater on that for higher charging output etc. If your mill is pre- mod you may want to order a bigger one from WM . Thats if you have the Onan .

I'll probably try and put an alternator on it. A new stater and voltage regulator costs about half of what a new non-obsolete engine might. I can't see putting overpriced parts in an engine they don't make parts for any more.

Kbeitz

I still say E-bay is your best bet for Onan parts.

voltage regulator around $25.00

stater  $35.00

I would be glad to help you find the parts you need.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

lmo506

Quote from: azmtnman on March 20, 2017, 02:37:51 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on March 14, 2017, 06:44:14 PM
Somewhere I remember reading that the first production model was 1983.That makes Jeff's mill one of the oldest
My LT30 was manufactured in April of 1984 (serial #143). Battery has been on my redesign wish list too. If my solar charging panels don't work well, it will be sooner than later.

Jeff, are you sure yours will only cut to 3"? I can cut down to 2". The clamping system makes anything less than 4" a PITA but it can done.
I have thought about making something to raise and clamp the cant so I can get down to 1".
mine is a 1982 and it cuts to two inches
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

Thank You Sponsors!