iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New shoes and more.

Started by Jeff, March 12, 2017, 08:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim H

My first mill was a 1986 lt30. Looked just like yours but had a Kohler magnum 16 instead of the Onan. When I got it the previous owner had put in a lawn and garden type battery, that had enough power to start the engine and run the motors. I changed it to the skinny battery and that lasted until I sold it about three years later. Now with the hydraulic mill running pretty regularly I rarely get much more than a year and a half out of a battery.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

isawlogs

Do you have a double pully on the motor.... If not, I may be able to help you out, then you would need to put in the alternator support brackets, from what I seen on my mill, that aint hard to make. I guess before doing anything, one would need to verify the lenght of the engin shaft... Just saying bro, if you want to put in an alternator, I do have a pully here for an Onan.....  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

First I need to confirm it isn't charging I think.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

That would be one way to approche the maybe probleme.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

47sawdust

Jeff,
I can tell you are really enjoying have a comfortable work space.Nothing like it.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

I love it! Any and all projects, jobs or chores now are a joy.  :)  Now when something breaks or goes haywire I say "I GOT THIS!" :D

slider

Amen to a nice place to work.
al glenn

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jeff on March 14, 2017, 04:32:47 PM
I love it! Any and all projects, jobs or chores now are a joy.  :)  Now when something breaks or goes haywire I say "I GOT THIS!" :D

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tacks Y

Jeff did you buy this new? So what year did WM start making mills?

red

Jeff's LT30 was delivered packed in ICE . Also known as the Slush Mizer.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

Yup, thee slush-mizer/food-mizer. I purchased it 12 years ago from member douginutah . He hauled it across the continental divide in a snow storm, making it unrecognizable to but a few once it came out the other side.  I'm not sure what year was the first, but this mill is certainly in the first 3 or 4 years. It was built in July of 86.

pineywoods

Somewhere I remember reading that the first production model was 1983.That makes Jeff's mill one of the oldest
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

To bad they have never wanted it back for a collectors item. :D  I'd surely make a swap! :)

Waterford Woodworks

If you paint it I would love to know how it goes. I've thought about painting mine since the day I bought it. Ive also contemplated trying to reconfigure the battery to a complete different location due to the sawdust and bark building up on top of the battery box. Bibbyman did it right but he didn't need a battery since going electric. My first mill (Lt40 manual) didn't collect the sawdust so bad on the battery box as bad as this one(Lt40 super). I think its due to the larger drive motor size.
2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

Jeff

I'm kinda leaning away from painting now, but who knows. I did start tearing out the old battery box today.

Jeff

Initial mock up of the new battery
tray.
I first removed the fender mount, then cut off the ridge that stuck up on the axle carriage frame to get clearance in front of snd under the battery. Since I don't have any steel other than junk I have collected, I'm reporposing.
The old lid is now incorporated into the box. The new lid once constructed will hinge from the bottom front to give access to the battery when the head is all the way down. I have to take the new box back off and build the sides before I can bolt it back on. I'll find something to space the old fender mount out 3/4s of an inch and put that back on, then build my lid.

paul case

Looking good!!! smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ljohnsaw

Just make sure you leave enough room that you can bring your head all the way down!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

That is part of the reason for doing this. The head sits right on the battery box on this model in the down position. This is being improved upon.

Darrel

If you make the battery box lid out of a non-metallic material, you'll be able to gain a little bit more room.  You'll be able to get closer to the top of the battery without shorting things out. I doing this to my '92 LT40 and will gain another 3/4 inch of clearance and I'll almost be able to get my hands in there with the head all the way down.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

red

The normal battery would be a Group 31 , and I like AGM for all the vibrations. But if you are using a car battery a Group 34 is one inch smaller height .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

My mill is much different than anything newer. The 86 was built so you could cut no closer than 3" to the deck. So, getting the battery lower does me no good. I have plenty of room between the top of the new box and the top of the battery posts.
It's now ready for an access door, but I don't have anything to make it from.

Kbeitz

Sounds like it's time for a trip to the junk yard.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brian C.

All looking good! Anxious to see the result.

goose63

Jeff you can show it off at the pig roast :)  ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!