iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mills HM126 tracking problem

Started by clintnelms, March 12, 2017, 04:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintnelms

Anyone ever had tracking issues? I know how to adjust the tracking. The problem I'm having is on the right drive wheel side. I can make a minor adjustment,  1/4 inch turn or even less, and the blade travels too far forward on that side. Adjust it again the opposite way and it travels too far back on the wheel. That's spinning by hand after torquing the tension to 35 ft lbs. Left non-drive wheel is tracking fine. I can't seem to find the sweet spot. Never had this problem in the past. No matter how little I turn the adjustment nuts it just won't track correctly. Any ideas? The mill is about a year or so old. I've probably milled less than 20 logs. Only went through 10 blades since I've had it so it's not been used a lot. I say that because I've wondered if it's a bad bearing wheel on that side, but seems like I haven't had enough usage for that yet. Spent all day on Saturday trying to get it adjusted and never could get it to track flush with the back of the wheel.

fishfighter

It could be a bad bearing. I have well over 250 hours on mine and haven't any problem. I would call them Mondays morning and ask them. I'm sure they will have an answer and help.

Kbeitz

Bad blade or maybe you lost you'r crown.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clintnelms

I tried a new blade and still same problem. What do you mean by crown?

Kbeitz

The top of your wheels that the blade ride on should be cupped outward.
Kinda like a little hill in the middle of the wheel.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

How's the belt on that side?  Might need replacing.  Check the drive belt and tension also.
HM126

sawmilljoe

Sounds like a bad bearing change them should fix your problem

Slingshot

Might try a slight adjustment on the vertical  tilt; If you haven't
tried that.

Briankinley2004

Did you move blade guides back to make sure they aren't pushing the blade off?

clintnelms

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on March 12, 2017, 11:10:42 PM
Did you move blade guides back to make sure they aren't pushing the blade off?

Yes, made sure nothing was touching the blade.

pineywoods

Don't know about Woodland mills, but have seen that problem other places. Bad bandwheel bearings. Try this...adjust to where it sorta tracks, then change the band tension a bit, either up or down. If the tracking changes, it's likely a bad bearing. Most mills use 2 in each bandwheel, one good and the other bad will cause lots of angst.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

clintnelms

Quote from: pineywoods on March 13, 2017, 10:00:26 AM
Don't know about Woodland mills, but have seen that problem other places. Bad bandwheel bearings. Try this...adjust to where it sorta tracks, then change the band tension a bit, either up or down. If the tracking changes, it's likely a bad bearing. Most mills use 2 in each bandwheel, one good and the other bad will cause lots of angst.

Thanks pineywoods. I'll try that. Never thought to adjust the tension and see if it moves. Talked to Woodland Mills this morning and he gave me a few suggestions to try. Gotta check the belt and make sure it's not worn down to where the blade is riding on the wheel itself. Don't think so though. Pretty sure I changed it not long ago. They're also sending me a new spring washer kit that replaces a silicon bushing for tension. More to come I guess.

fishfighter

By removing the drive belt, spinning the wheel, you might be able to feel if there is a bad bearing.

clintnelms

Quote from: fishfighter on March 13, 2017, 11:28:48 AM
By removing the drive belt, spinning the wheel, you might be able to feel if there is a bad bearing.

I actually did do that, but it seemed to spin fine to me. Same as the other side.

Kbeitz

Sounds like on your machine the belt is your crown.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clintnelms

Well I finally figured out what the problem was. They sent me the new spring washers. Big improvement over the bushing. Sent it to me for free too. Wasn't the problem though. I took the belt off to look at it and it still looked new. Decided to say the hell with it and put the old one back on. Come to find out the new one that was on there was not quite the same belt. This was the belt they sent me in the parts kit. It was a little narrower and the V grooves were not quite as big as the old one. Put the old one back on, problem solved.

ChugiakTinkerer

Great to hear you got it worked out.

Now how dos that saying go?  If it aint broke...  :)
Woodland Mills HM130

clintnelms

After I got it fixed this afternoon I had a little time and sawed up a cant. I just got my blades back from a local guy I found that sharpens blades. He worked for woodmizer since 1991 sharpening and retired a year or so ago and does it on the side now. These blades cut better than they did brand new. I can't see any saw markes. Looks like the cant was sanded smooth. I was very impressed. At $7 a blade and about 10 miles up the road I'll be using him from now on for sure. He sure can talk though. Kept me there almost an hour when I picked them up just rambling about everything. Very nice guy though.

Savannahdan

Glad you got the problem taken care of.  Also, my chainsaw guy is talkative like your sharpening guy.  I plan on at least a 30-45 minute visit when I go to his shop.  Also, I need to visit George L. Smith State Park and check out the fishing.  PM me if you know of it and have some recommendations.
Dan
Happy St. Patrick's Day
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

clintnelms

Quote from: Savannahdan on March 17, 2017, 07:33:31 AM
Glad you got the problem taken care of.  Also, my chainsaw guy is talkative like your sharpening guy.  I plan on at least a 30-45 minute visit when I go to his shop.  Also, I need to visit George L. Smith State Park and check out the fishing.  PM me if you know of it and have some recommendations.
Dan
Happy St. Patrick's Day

Hey Dan. No sorry can't say I've ever been to that State Park. Where's it at?

fishfighter

Quote from: clintnelms on March 16, 2017, 06:45:55 PM
Well I finally figured out what the problem was. They sent me the new spring washers. Big improvement over the bushing. Sent it to me for free too. Wasn't the problem though. I took the belt off to look at it and it still looked new. Decided to say the hell with it and put the old one back on. Come to find out the new one that was on there was not quite the same belt. This was the belt they sent me in the parts kit. It was a little narrower and the V grooves were not quite as big as the old one. Put the old one back on, problem solved.

Good to hear this. My replacement belts that I buy local are Gates belts. Much better then the stock belts that came with the mill. In fact, when my mill was about a month old, I called them reporting that the stock belt was breaking up. They sent me a new set of Gate belts for free. Now that is service after the sale. ;D Some good people over there. ;D

clintnelms

[/quote]

Good to hear this. My replacement belts that I buy local are Gates belts. Much better then the stock belts that came with the mill. In fact, when my mill was about a month old, I called them reporting that the stock belt was breaking up. They sent me a new set of Gate belts for free. Now that is service after the sale. ;D Some good people over there. ;D
[/quote]

The service tech I spoke to recommend I use Gate belts also. Said they tend to hold up better.

Savannahdan

Whoops, wrong Woodland owner.  The park is near Metter and Swainsboro. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

clintnelms

Quote from: fishfighter on March 17, 2017, 08:07:42 AM
Quote from: clintnelms on March 16, 2017, 06:45:55 PM

I called this morning and told them what I found out was wrong and to thank them for sending me the washers and they're sending me a replacement belt for free and i didn't ask them to. You're right, they have fantastic customer service.

mitchstockdale

Quote from: clintnelms on March 12, 2017, 04:52:38 PM
Anyone ever had tracking issues? I know how to adjust the tracking. The problem I'm having is on the right drive wheel side. I can make a minor adjustment,  1/4 inch turn or even less, and the blade travels too far forward on that side. Adjust it again the opposite way and it travels too far back on the wheel. That's spinning by hand after torquing the tension to 35 ft lbs. Left non-drive wheel is tracking fine. I can't seem to find the sweet spot. Never had this problem in the past. No matter how little I turn the adjustment nuts it just won't track correctly. Any ideas? The mill is about a year or so old. I've probably milled less than 20 logs. Only went through 10 blades since I've had it so it's not been used a lot. I say that because I've wondered if it's a bad bearing wheel on that side, but seems like I haven't had enough usage for that yet. Spent all day on Saturday trying to get it adjusted and never could get it to track flush with the back of the wheel.

I had this similar issue when i first received my mill in the late fall...i was following the manual from their website which detailed 35ft-lbs torque so i was torquing the thing to 35ft-lbs but the newer mills with the spring washers only require 25ft-lbs of torque as per the manual that came with my mill and the sticker on the mill..oops !!!!....once i re-adjusted the torque to 25ft-lbs everthing ran nice.

Thank You Sponsors!