iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln dry now or later

Started by HuckSawyer, March 12, 2017, 03:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuckSawyer

Hello everyone.  I currently have 5MBF of Ash that is air drying in the open on my property.  Some of it has been stickered for about a year.  I am starting to get some interest for potential customers for plank flooring and thermo treated decking.  That being so, I still haven't started moving material.  I'm starting to wonder how long is too long for the wood to sit outside.  Should I move it in my 4 sided shed?  Should I dry it (Nile DH kiln), wrap it, and stack it in my shed?  I've even though about having it thermo treated now but if I can't move it, that would be money down the drain.  Thoughts?

scsmith42

If it's dried down to 15%MC or thereabouts, by all means finish it in a kiln, sterilize it and then dry stack it indoors. 

I would not place t indoors until it was sterilized; else you may be bringing some unwanted critters inside to infest the rest of your lumber.

The only drawback to ash right now is that the market is flooded and the prices are low.  However, if you have grade KD materiel you should be able to sell it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

HuckSawyer

SC,
Would stacking it in an unconditioned shed with a gravel floor be cosidered "indoors" or are you referring to a conditioned environment?

YellowHammer

I would probably finish and sterilize it also.  Whenever wood is outdoors or in an uncontrolled environment, it is at risk, and bad things can happen.  Once it is dried and sterilized and stored in a protected space, physically and environmentally, then it is safe and will last forever.  I stacked mine in my garage, it was unconditioned, but a lot better than in my barn.  The longer you will leave it unattended, the more secure and stable the storage area must be.   

Personally, I always skip plane before deadstacking for storage to get a flatter pack and flatter boards.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

scsmith42

Quote from: HuckSawyer on March 12, 2017, 08:22:26 PM
SC,
Would stacking it in an unconditioned shed with a gravel floor be cosidered "indoors" or are you referring to a conditioned environment?

What Yellowhammer said. 

I would add that storage in an unconditioned shed would be ok if you placed some type of vapor / insect barrier on the ground first, and sealed the stack of lumber well in plastic (after kiln drying / sterilizing).

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Ash that is air dried for a year is prone to ambrosia beetle holes and maybe powderpost beetles.   You might check for them before drying in the kiln or at least before shipping.  The key is to go to150 F in the kiln to kill them
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

HuckSawyer

Thank you both for your input.

scsmith42

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on March 15, 2017, 07:07:45 AM
Ash that is air dried for a year is prone to ambrosia beetle holes and maybe powderpost beetles.   You might check for them before drying in the kiln or at least before shipping.  The key is to go to150 F in the kiln to kill them

150 in the kiln in order to reach 133F or greater in the lumber?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

With 150 F in the kiln with fairly dry wood, you will reach 133 F throughout the wood in  a reasonable time.  Hotter is faster.  Wet wood will reach only the wet-bulb temperature, so we want a wet-bulb around 150 F.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!