iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working on my second five acre cost-share

Started by Ruffneck, March 12, 2017, 12:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

Here I am again, working on my second cost-share thinning operation for the Department of Natural Resources in Washington state. It covers a five acre area and I'm planning on building my shop inside it.
At completion I should receive $3,800. This area was hit hard by the pine beetle. I hope to save some of the better trees. I should end up with some pretty decent saw logs to
build some sort of shop. The great thing about this location is the fact that I'm near my power and It is the highest elevation on the property.
I was able to make out Mt. Hood on my latest visit, seeing the forest through the trees ;D
  https://youtu.be/HuDxGh77U-A

WV Sawmiller

Ruffneck,

Congratulations since you seem to be happy with this arrangement. i hope it all works well for you. I am a little confused as since the contract is with the DNR I assumed you were working on public land and if so I don't know how you can build your shop there. I hope you find the good saw logs you are discussing. Keep us informed how it works out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ruffneck

WV Sawmiller,

This is my second time working under this program. It is a cost-share program with the DNR in Washington. It's used as an incentive to improve forest health and reduce the risk of wildfire and insect pests.

I am doing the work on my own 40 acre lot. When I did the first cost-share program I ended up making two-bits an hour after it was all said and done. :D I ended up with saw logs and an improved forest too.

On these projects I track my time and equipment used and it has to add up to the $7,000ish amount for me to qualify to receive half that. Plus I end up with logs to mill ;D

It's a pretty cool project in my opinion, fighting these fires through prevention is a good way to go. I've had a couple close calls in the last few years. My forester tells me it should be on a seven year fire cycle.

I originally paid $1,000 per acre in 2003. If they keep these programs going, I should get close to redeeming that cost.

This is the boundary for my current project:

Take care!

Thank You Sponsors!