iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home built large 4' splitter?

Started by kenfrommaine, March 12, 2017, 10:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenfrommaine

Hi, looking pics and info for building a large wood splitter. This will be for splitting big wood to feed an out door boiler. Want full 48" splitting capacity. Motor size, hyd. pump size etc.? What are some of the things you wish you had done different on your builds? What sized H beam did you use? Would like it to have a fairly quick cycle time. Thoughts and opinions. Thanks everyone.

Gearbox

Too many options . What kind of wood ?  How big ? 4 way split ? . Beam is going to depend on all of the befor . You can run a 22 or 28 gallon 2 stage pump will run a 5 inch cylinder at near 15 to 20 seconds . moving that much oil you will need a big oil cooler . 18 HP will be big enough to run 28 gallon pump .Surplus center has all you need to know in there catalog .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

hedgerow

Like gearbox said lots of options. Big, powerful , and fast splitter's take a very large check book to build. In the average person affordable splitter a 28 GPM two stage pump and gas motor to run it is as fast as most check books can stand. When you run 5 inch and up cylinders it takes a lot of oil to make them move fast. That takes a lot of money as you start getting into big pumps, valves, lines and motors to run the pumps.  I have a 28 GPM two stage with 20 HP on a four inch cylinder and it will split most hedge and locust that I split for my Garn. You have to read the wood and not bust big pieces in the middle you have to work your way into the piece. I like the speed of the four cylinder. I had same pump with a five inch cylinder on another splitter the five inch made the splitter a lot slower. Use a cylinder with the biggest rod you can find as this will speed up the return on the cylinder. Good luck with the build. 

gspren

Have you been running your stove a few years with long wood? Even though my stove will take 44" after a few years I settled on 18" wood and throw in 2 rows except for some smaller branches, easier to stack, easier to handle and faster to dry.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

TKehl

Have a tractor?  Mounting on 3 point and using the tractor as power can be nice.  We have one set that way with a PTO driven pump.  Splits almost anything running at idle.  I think it would do 4'.  Will see about getting some pictures.

I recommend having a chain hook welded to the backside of the push block.  We've had a few pieces (3' dia + knotty Oak rounds before I got my sawmill and tough smaller stuff) get stuck on the wedge.  No amount of hammering would release.  However, wrapping a chain around the log and pulling backwards pops it right off and allows for repositioning. 

Our stove will take 32" wood, but we cut most around 22-24" for ease of handling and we can get more in the stove that way with the door position.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

What kind of OWB you got,not that it matters?
I have a Heatmor that can take a 54 inch stick. I could feed it 4 foot wood.but have no way to split it,like you. I just have a regular 2 foot splitter. I really have no need to fill the firebox. I thought I was going to have a working garage,but everything went up so much that has been put on the back burner. The big firebox comes in handy for those odd size pieces. For some of the rotten wood I burn 2 rows,as others have said works.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TKehl

I also have this one which I think has about a 42" stroke, but haven't measured it as I knew it was "long nuf" for me.  That's my 2 year old on the table and hooked to my Suburban.

Can't comment on cycle time.  Bought it at auction a couple weeks ago and haven't worked on getting it running yet.  Has an 8.5 HP Briggs.  Bought to incorporate into the processor I have planned. 

I will say My back is much happier working at this height versus splitter rail on the ground.  (Trying to work smarter as I see dad get older.)  At 4' long I think you would have to stick to horizontal layout as it would be a devil of a time trying to split that long vertically. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

kenfrommaine

Hi, this is a project I am going to do for a friend. He wants to be able to split some knotty four foot sticks mostly in the diameter of a five gallon bucket maybe a little bigger. 
Any thoughts on horizontal shaft motor set up compared to a vertical shaft motor?
Vertical shaft motors seem to be lower in price, thinking in the 20 HP range with a 28 GPM pump to push a 5"x46" hyd. cylinder with a 2.75" rod.
Thinking of a 20 gallon hydraulic oil reservoir.
This will be on a 13'...10"x10"x 5/8ths thick H Beam, Anything I am missing?
Thanks again.

GAB

Quote from: kenfrommaine on March 13, 2017, 09:58:33 AM
Hi, this is a project I am going to do for a friend. He wants to be able to split some knotty four foot sticks mostly in the diameter of a five gallon bucket maybe a little bigger. 
Any thoughts on horizontal shaft motor set up compared to a vertical shaft motor?
Vertical shaft motors seem to be lower in price, thinking in the 20 HP range with a 28 GPM pump to push a 5"x46" hyd. cylinder with a 2.75" rod.
Thinking of a 20 gallon hydraulic oil reservoir.
This will be on a 13'...10"x10"x 5/8ths thick H Beam, Anything I am missing?
Thanks again.

With a 28 GPM pump and a 20 gallon tank unless my math is wrong you will be pumping all the oil roughly every 45 seconds.  I think you need to consider an oil cooler.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Gearbox

1 gal of tank for each gallon of pump . Right out of Surplus center catalog .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

blackfoot griz

Another consideration to keep in mind is the port sizes in the cylinder.  If the ports are too small for the volume you're pushing that=fluid restriction which=heat buildup. Another thought is if the total length of the splitter is an issue  you could consider a trunion mounted style cylinder which would save a little room and it would move the anchor point further forward towards the action.  Just a couple of random thoughts...

When are you going to start on the beast?

petefrom bearswamp

Kenfrommaine, you must be either young, strong or both.
I cant imagine handling processing 4' wood and then feeding it in the furnace.
I use 23" wood in my classic which I can still handle and put 10 approximately same size chunks in twice a day unless very cold then 12- 13 chunks.
Yesterday I stoked with 12 pieces at 4 PM and overslept this morning and didnt stoke until nearly 9, water temp still at 135.
Temp was in mid teens.
Classic opens damper at 165 closes at 175.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kenfrommaine

Well after relaying all the  comments, and thoughts my buddy has decided to wait on this build. Thanks for the input and thoughts,

Thank You Sponsors!