iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spine

Started by MikeZ, March 11, 2017, 07:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeZ

drobertson: Was wondering how your rehab is going? Are you back close to any kind of normal?
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

drobertson

Never been close to normal before, so they tell me! But seriously on the back issue, maybe a little,  30lb lift limit and quite abit stiffer, notice it mostly when twisting to back up, stuff like that, no nerve pain to mention at all , thanks for asking,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ed_K

So did they give you exercises to do as you recover? One of mine was twist slowly just after getting up in the morning. That helped for turning to see the back of the tractor.
Ed K

MikeZ

Ed_K- You prob were asking drobertson, but i had 2 rods and 20 screws fusing lower back together in Dec. Still on  10# weight restriction but surgeon said no therapy. He said you will know what you can do and cannot. He was right, it is mostly cannot. I do try to go for short walks even at night time. Poor dog always wanders what I'm doing walking up & down driveway at 2 & 4 am.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

red

I had two discs removed in 1998 L4-L5 , L5-S1 . For exercise the Dr sent me to work hardening physical therapy. Six hours a day Monday Wed and Fri. Then I would swim or just float in an indoor pool as much as I could. Then a heating pad for 10 minutes right to crushed ice for 10minutes and repeat. I was only 160 lbs in 1998 . last year I was 210, today I am 190 lbs and feel much better. It was difficult to loose every pound. Always have good communication with Dr and physical therapist. You will be doing PT for the rest of your life.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red

Since 2014 the doctors want to operate again on L4-L-5 and L5-S-1 because the BAK back spacers did not work properly. It looks like the bone just kept growing. Plus L3-L4 disc has taken a beating so it needs removed . They now say I have degenerated disc disease.  I say I did not have it before the first surgery. I am thankful I can walk as good as I do . I have no plans for future surgery.

Ed_K

Sorry Mike, I should have read back further. In 95 I had the same option of pinning L4-L5. I opted for disk removal. They said that either way in 20 yrs it would be and feel the same. Well 22 yrs later it still hurts but I can get around. Here's hoping you can get a little more out of the operation and in the future have less pain.
Red, my son Chris was told that he had degenerated disc disease, and he was only 37. Some times I wonder what the doctors see on them x-rays.
Ed K

red

Everyone can ask for a second opinion. One doctor in the ER told me I don't get a second opinion. Ok then I signed myself out AMA, against medical advice.  Went to another hospital 10 miles away , I received a completely different diagnosis. I have no regrets about my back surgery in 1998. Because I was in so much pain.
Just get up tomorrow morning and do it ALL over again. I sure have learned a lot .

MikeZ

My problem was degenerative disc and stenosis, plus I had my share of herniated discs. Last summer and fall was awful, all I got done was try to manage pain. The surgeon offered to send me wherever I wanted to go for second opinion but everything he offered was what I had heard from many other drs' over last 12 years. After 12 hr surgery then another 2 hr session to open me back up and remove football size hematoma 3 weeks later and a mrsa infection with 2 more weeks in hosp and 5 weeks of daily trips to hosp for iv infusion of antibio. I can gladly say 95% of original pain is GONE. Now I just have to recover. My heart goes out to anybody with problems. You don't realize what you have until its gone or limited.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Ed_K

Mike, concentrate on the healing. I'll pray that the other 5% of pain goes away too.
Ed K

MikeZ

Ed_K: Thank You. Prayers and the best to you. I feel pretty good till I do something. When it warms up I will concentrate on tanning my 16" incision area :D. Just can't get used to feeling like a 2 x 6 has been shoved up my butt!
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

red

My insurance has finally approved an MRI for chronic lower back pain. It happens today at High Noon .  I have studied very hard for this Test.

Ed_K

I think you can bring your own music  ;D. It's a long time laying there.
Ed K

MikeZ

I only ever got ear plugs. Think I"ve had 8 MRI"s. To this day I still have not figured out the beat to that thumping  :o.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

red

I said no to the music. MRI took 45 minutes, one day next week for results.   They asked questions about the stent in my hip, I did not have any info. So they got the surgeon's office on the phone , everything went smooth.

Ed_K

Glad everything went smooth for you Red  ;)  :) .
Ed K

drobertson

sorry so late for replying back ,  the only rehab was walking on a three mile a day routine, but,, but,, the right knee has really caused issues with this from the get go, the day of surgery after knowing the routine to follow, I said I was worried about my knee, he said you want to go or stop?  I said go, since a shot in the knee and now another ortho visit on the knee, so Yee Haw! all over again,,  hoping that all you guys with pain issues get it managed one way or another,  not even sure I know the pain scale any more, one gets use to  it for so long its like not know anything else,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!