iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

90 or 180 degrees

Started by bulldozerjoe, April 02, 2022, 10:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldozerjoe

New to saw milling, bought a woodland mills hm130 with trailer. 16 foot cut... after I make that opening cut.. what's the best way to make the second cut... do I turn the log 90 degrees so that the opening cut is against the log stops or 180 so that the opening cut is on the bunks... cutting spruce now.. dimensional lumber... thanks
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

Southside

Typically, and especially with framing lumber, I rotate 180 to keep the stress evened out in the soon to be cant.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bulldozerjoe

Thank you, I'm new to milling... so much to take in... I put a ash log on the mill and that thing cut true... now I put spruce on it and the blade wanders when i hit a knot... that's my next problem to over come... but thank u
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

Southside

Spruce knots are very hard, you want to have a sharp band on when sawing spruce.  What are you using for a band? FWIW my 55 HP diesel deflected today in Southern Yellow Pine knots with a .055, 1 3/4" band that was sharp.  Sometimes there is only so much you can do. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

bulldozerjoe

I'm using what the saw came with, I've got 10 ripper 37..
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

Southside

Might want to try a 4° band for Spruce. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

bulldozerjoe

Jerry's recommended 7 degree, which I bought... I don't know what came with the mill... maybe I'll try the rippers.. couldn't hurt I've got them.. thank u for your reply's 
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

thecfarm

I only saw for myself.
I have very little spruce on my land.
I got spruce once, before I was a member here.
Never again!!
Yes, I could saw if with a different degree blades, but with so few spruce, why bother?
With 10° blades that wood waved at me all day long. 
This was before the OWB too.
It all went onto the brush pile. :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

For spruce, a slow feed rate,drive belt must be tensioned properly,enter the log from the narrow end and 4° blades works best for me. Also,fresh logs.
My mill has a 24 hp Honda.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Wayne_Stevens

Would all of these recommendations be the same for fir?

alan gage

My best advice is to not saw spruce, period. I've ignored my own advice often enough but after the last go round I think I'll take it to heart. Everyone seems to fight it. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

47sawdust

Not true. I'm cutting some very knotty spruce that I used to avoid. I am happy with the results and encouraged because that is what grows on my property.
I do enjoy sawing balsam fir as well but good logs are hard to find.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ladylake

I find to cut spruce straight I need a 4°  shallow gullet blade and still will get a slight wave in the real wide cuts.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Roundhouse

I cut with a HM130 as well. Much of the time I'm doing neither of those options. If the log is easy to manipulate I'll rotate it so the opening cut is opposite the stops at the back. The log needs to be clamped with that cut 90 degrees to the bunks as confirmed by a large carpenters square. That's why if a log is wobbly or otherwise not easy to manipulate and clamp while square I will just roll it the other way with the cut against the stops. The benefit of rolling the log towards me is that every cut after the very first can be made into a cut surface and not the bark. You are rolling onto the flat bunk once you tackle that first roll that gets manually squared up.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Thank You Sponsors!