iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood 36

Started by mailman, March 09, 2017, 07:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailman

I'm still looking for a mill. I got a little sidetracked with a new tractor and some real estate the last couple weeks.
  A guy down the road from me got a norwood saw and really likes it. He has his set up all manual. I watched him run it the other day and it looked pretty smooth cutting a big poplar log.
I don't mind putting it together and I like the idea of being able to upgrade or downgrade without buying a new saw.
Any thoughts on the Norwood lumberpro 36?

Ga Mtn Man

I'm sure the LumberPro 36 is a fine mill, but have you looked at what you will have paid for that mill once you have bought all the hydraulics compared to the cost of an LT35 or a TK1600?   Also, the LP36 has a standard cut length of only 13' and no setworks.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

paul case

Or an EZ boardwalk 40?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I have never seen a Norwood in operation but we have a few satisfied owners here.  Maybe one will speak up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

There is a Norwood HD36 listed in the "For Sale" board:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mailman

Quote from: Magicman on March 10, 2017, 01:27:27 PM
There is a Norwood HD36 listed in the "For Sale" board:  LINK

I sent him a pm, but he hasn't been on for a couple weeks.

mailman

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 09, 2017, 08:07:29 PM
I'm sure the LumberPro 36 is a fine mill, but have you looked at what you will have paid for that mill once you have bought all the hydraulics compared to the cost of an LT35 or a TK1600?   Also, the LP36 has a standard cut length of only 13' and no setworks.

Most of the local mills I have looked at have been manual. I'm starting to think I may start out with a manual mill and I like the idea of being able to upgrade later if I choose.

WV Sawmiller

Mailman,

My wife and friends convinced me to get the hydraulic mill at the start and I am thankful every time I use it. It makes life so much easier and more fun especially if you will be working by yourself. If at all possible and anywhere near your budget try to get the hydraulics at the start. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Rickcnc

I purchased an HD36 in the fall of 2015 and am pleased with my transaction. I use mine for both personal use and custom cutting. I started with the basic mill (23Hp engine) and added the power up/down, hydraulic toe boards and log loaders 6 months later. In my opinion loading and positioning the logs manually (ramps and electric winch) was to slow at a customer's site. The power up/down option was purchased shortly after milling 35 logs into dimensional lumber for one customer.
If you are doing slabs the HD36 competes with the LT40 in that they both spec 28", the LT35 is somewhat less. Although it sounds like WM is offering wide versions now.
I should add I have a full time day job and most of my milling is done on weekends.

For me pros of the HD36.
Ease of use
Easy to Maintain
Trailers great  behind my small pickup.  (no need for electric brakes)
Add options as you go and can afford.  My next option will be to extend to 16 feet.

Cons:
Hydraulic log loader arms need to be removed prior to moving the mill. This is easy to do (couple pins) but they tend to be heavy after a day of milling.
It appears the HD36s shipping now have the Gas tank attached to the engine, mine has a detached tank.

In closing the HD36 is a very capable mill and works great for the type and volume of work I do.  If I was given the option to turn back the clock and chose the Norwood over any other mill, I would still go with the Norwood. 

That said in a perfect world where I could retire from my day job and the market permitted, I would want a new 2500 series pickup and a different shade of orange with a 55hp diesel  engine.  :D

mailman

Quote from: Rickcnc on March 11, 2017, 06:59:12 AM
I purchased an HD36 in the fall of 2015 and am pleased with my transaction. I use mine for both personal use and custom cutting. I started with the basic mill (23Hp engine) and added the power up/down, hydraulic toe boards and log loaders 6 months later. In my opinion loading and positioning the logs manually (ramps and electric winch) was to slow at a customer's site. The power up/down option was purchased shortly after milling 35 logs into dimensional lumber for one customer.
If you are doing slabs the HD36 competes with the LT40 in that they both spec 28", the LT35 is somewhat less. Although it sounds like WM is offering wide versions now.
I should add I have a full time day job and most of my milling is done on weekends.

For me pros of the HD36.
Ease of use
Easy to Maintain
Trailers great  behind my small pickup.  (no need for electric brakes)
Add options as you go and can afford.  My next option will be to extend to 16 feet.

Cons:
Hydraulic log loader arms need to be removed prior to moving the mill. This is easy to do (couple pins) but they tend to be heavy after a day of milling.
It appears the HD36s shipping now have the Gas tank attached to the engine, mine has a detached tank.

In closing the HD36 is a very capable mill and works great for the type and volume of work I do.  If I was given the option to turn back the clock and chose the Norwood over any other mill, I would still go with the Norwood. 

That said in a perfect world where I could retire from my day job and the market permitted, I would want a new 2500 series pickup and a different shade of orange with a 55hp diesel  engine.  :D

That's good to know.
If I get an HD36 it will probably be for a stationary position on a concrete slab at my barn where I've got a bunch of mid size ash to cut up. I like the looks of the special rollers for 12-16" inch stuff. I've got a bunch that size and it looks like it should go pretty quick without hyd. I would probably just order it with the special rollers and a 4 foot extension. Then when I'm done with the ash or if its too big of a pain I can add the trailer kit and hydro later.

paul case

If you set it up stationary, put it up about knee high. That makes turning logs easier and not so hard on your back when edging. If you plan to saw much you will do a lot of edging.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SlowJoeCrow

My brother bought a Norwood HD36 2 years ago, with trailer package and manual log loading package, but no hydraulics.  I have had the luxury of using it in the last year and it will produce very nice accurate Lumber.  I think the best application for this Mill would be to set it up stationary with a log deck to roll logs on to the mill, sawing your own logs and maybe sawing other customers logs if they were brought to the mill.  The way my brother's saw is set up with no hydraulics, I can't imagine sawing portable for others and being competitive. Now I am using it portable on my property without a log deck, but I am sawing for myself and my board footage numbers are low.

John S

Do yourself a favor, check out Samurai Carpenter video of his mill.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

John S

Sorry, the video is on YouTube.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

mailman

Quote from: John S on March 14, 2017, 10:26:57 AM
Do yourself a favor, check out Samurai Carpenter video of his mill.

I saw his video.
  I'm not sure it is that discouraging to me considering my mill will probably start out stationary, under a roof, on a concrete pad with a log deck next to it being fed by a skid steer. My off bearing will be on to a set of forks on a tractor. It seems like a lot of his complaints were things you would be facing with any manual mill.
As far as cheap flimsy parts go I agree, that would be a concern. My Dad has a weld shop and I would probably build the overpriced manual option parts anyway. I just need a good base to start with.
If I couldn't get a new B&S Vanguard engine to stop backfiring I don't think I would admit it ;).

Thanks for all the input everyone. It does seem like several folks have sold their norwood saws and are going with woodmizers. I'm pretty close to Cambridge, and may just wait for the paul bunyan show to check everything out.

I told my dad as we were leaving the woodmizer open house that even at 48 I looked like a young pup compared to most others there. With that many old farts buying new saws you would think there would be more used ones for sale. lol

John S

Us old farts represent that!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

mailman

Quote from: John S on March 16, 2017, 07:01:14 PM
Us old farts represent that!

LOL.... wanna sell your saw?

John S

Check back with me in 2027!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!