iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Folded chicken breast.

Started by Jeff, March 09, 2017, 12:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Jeff, my problem is I remember Grandma's fried chicken, even Kernel Sanders couldn't compete with her.  I don't much care for turkey either unless I do it in my smoker, wild birds on the other hand when cooked right I'll eat any day of the week, go figure  ::).

petefrom bearswamp

Jeff I plan to try that tonight.
I cook a fair amount but am not as accomplished as you are.
Looks simple to do, but what Italian cheeses do you use?
What temp do you cook it at?
any help would be appreciated.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Pete,
I pound out one extra large chicken breast, get it as flat, and as big as possible without disintegrating it.  Season that chicken with your choice. I use Weber Grill brand roast garlic and herb, salt and pepper, but use what ever you want.  The skinless breasts we get here are always around a lb.

I have one of those square copper bottom pans like you see on all the infomercials. I preheat that for 2 and a half minutes on a medium heat.  Once the pan is good and hot, I place the big flat bird breast in, seasoned side down. I leave it on just long enough to brown, probably only a couple minutes.  If you don't have a great pan that won't stick, i'd sugget a little olive oil in the pan so you can get the chicken folded and out later.

While the chicken slab is browning, take a half an 8 oz package of thawed frozen chopped spinach (4oz) put it in a bowl and mix it  well with an equal amount in volume, of the packaged shredded 4 or 6 cheese Italian blend.  What ever you can find/have.

Take your browned chicken cookie off the heat, mold your spinach/cheese mixture on the center of the chicken pizza, and then fold. roll tape or staple it over the spinach.  Return the pan to the medium heat and cover. Cook about 6 minutes or until the chicken is done. Shouldn't take long in the covered pan. Once the chicken is deemed cooked, remove the cover and add two slices of swiss to the top, cover and cook just until that melts.

SAUCE:
Remove the cooked chicken from the pan. Take 2 tablespoons of the pan juices and mix well one tablespoon of cornstarch with it. Dump that back into the pan stirring constantly. If it thickens to much, add a small amount of water until you like the consistency. Pour this over your folded breast. ( the chicken's actually, not yours)

one breast serves two people. Adjust the recipe for more servings.

Take picture of finished product and post here. Mandatory step.  ;D

If you don't have one of those covered pans, I seriously recommend it. I love mine. Mine came with a basket for deep frying and some other accessories too.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

coxy

do you think someone would  pour it over there own breast  ;) :D :D  :) 8)

Jeff

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Made my first attempt at this.
Breast was so thick I couldn't get it pounded very flat, but proceeded anyway.
I went Italian all the way with the chicken, used a locally produced Italian spice blend for seasoning, the Italian cheese and spinach inside and provolone for the topping as we didnt have any swiss.
A little spinach leaked out so put it on top.
Had to cook it quite a bit longer than Jeff suggested as my wife wont eat any chicken if there might be an undercooked piece within a 5 or 6 state radius.
It was quite moist, so didnt make the sauce. (wife also hates corn starch)
Went Belgian with the vegetable.

It turned out delicious.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

You just needed a better pounder or more umph behind the one you had. :)  It'll flatten out.  :)

petefrom bearswamp

Whacked it hard enough it started to disintegrate.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Wifey tells me that i used the wrong sides of the pounder, used the tenderizer  should hade used the flat edge
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

I use the tenderizer, but the secret is to put it in say, a gallon ziplock to beat it, or under a piece of wax or parchment paper. Or! An idea! do you have an old wringer washer?  :D

SwampDonkey

Or 2000 lb pressure cold mangle. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

You could run over it with the truck  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

luvmexfood

Going to try this or something similiar. Out on the road for the next month. Staying at an extended stay. Stove no oven. Have my electric skilllet and wish I had brought a crock pot. Might go buy one of those combination pressure cookers/slow cookers. Gone from the room about 11.5 hrs aday.

Found some good cube steak for just a little over $2.00 a pound. Cooked it for me and my roommate. Rollied it in flour, salt, pepper and  cooked it sort of on high heat till the breading was set. Then added water and flour and slow cooked awhile covered. Then some milk to help the gravy. Thought the guy was going to bust. He cant really cook and it beat the fire out of a t  dinner.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

petefrom bearswamp

I tried wax paper and just pulverized it and pounded it into the chicken.
Maybe I am too much of a gorilla.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

PatD uses Saran (plastic) wrap.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Mooseherder

Yup, me too.  When I'm low on Bags I use sandwich bags.  ;)

newoodguy78

Okay I'm going to risk sounding foolish ::)..Is the bag/some sort of wrap just to keep the mess to a minimum?

Mooseherder

The bag stops the meat from sticking to the mallet or the paper plate for one.  I think it also helps to spread out the pounding and I usually cut the breast in half because the thicker side gets a couple more whacks than the thinner part of the breast.  The thicker part where the wing was attached can be tougher IMO.  The thinner side falls apart if you pound too hard.  I don't use the aggressive rigid side of the mallet.  The flat sided surface of the mallet with gentle pounding is enough. :D

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Wifey just ordered me the copperchef pan.
Cant wait to try it.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Did she get the deep one that comes with the lid , basket and steamer rack? They make one that is a shallower, smaller pan too. I think they call that the square dance

petefrom bearswamp

Yes this is the big square one with lid, basket, steamer rack  and a hot plate too and of course the obligatory cook book.
they said about 4- 6 weeks for delivery.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Shoulda went to walmart. On their as seen on tv shelf. Same price.

Thank You Sponsors!