iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need recommendation for clear exterior finish

Started by Engineer, March 08, 2017, 03:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

At my place of work, we are building a 36' x 36' timber framed pavilion out of local white pine.  My history with timber frames is of unfinished wood, both in my own house and for a pavilion that was done for the local Rotary Club a few years back.  However, we want to put a clear, penetrating finish on this frame, and I have no idea what to use.  I'm avoiding the big-box-store stuff such as Thompson's Water Seal; I don't think it has any value.  The very-high-end stuff, such as Land Ark or Sikkens, is hard to get.  I'm looking for suggestions or recommendations as to what I can use for a finish that will penetrate the timbers, not look like or act like a film finish, and has some preservative qualities. 

ChugiakTinkerer

Woodland Mills HM130

tule peak timber

Engineer , Look at the Messmers line of exterior oils . You will find them at the World Of Stain online. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Brad_bb

Permachink has good products.  They make them for log homes to stand up to UV and weather.

https://www.permachink.com/
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

robmelby

Allback boiled linseed oil. Made in Sweden and sold through swede paints in Canada. A natural old time finish.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Engineer on March 08, 2017, 03:51:21 PMThe very-high-end stuff, such as Land Ark .......is hard to get.   

I did a simple google search and found this "how to order page" for Land Ark:

https://www.landarkwoodfinish.com/page1.php

Didn't seem to be to hard to find.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

scsmith42

I order the Land Ark products by the pail and by the drum all the time, and like them a lot. Contact Heritage Natural Finishes in Colorado. They usually ship within a day or do.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don P

Does anyone have experience with carpenter bees and white pine with any of these?

Heartwood

I'm not sure LandArk is still reliably available, but now many timber framers buy the same renamed Heritage product through here: http://www.heritagenaturalfinishes.com/. They have an exterior product.

scsmith42

Quote from: Heartwood on March 10, 2017, 08:21:43 AM
I'm not sure LandArk is still reliably available, but now many timber framers buy the same renamed Heritage product through here: http://www.heritagenaturalfinishes.com/. They have an exterior product.

LandArk went bankrupt during the recession.  The owner of the formula teamed up with one of his distributors - Heritage Natural Finishes - and now all of the original LandArk products are available from Heritage under a different name.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

autumnpeterson

Hi, Land Ark is now called Heritage Natural Finishes and is super easy to get. The guy who used to do it in the SE is no longer making it, but you can call or order online and they ship it in a day and they send free samples. A traditional oil finish is best for the durability and breathability of your frame. You want to avoid surface only treatments that are varnish-like for many reasons! PM me for more info.
A.Peterson

autumnpeterson

You can pre-treat your wood for insects including boring beetles, etc. with any products that contain Borates. There are several on the market, TimBor, BoraCare, etc. or you can buy a cheap box of Borax in the laundry section of the grocery store, mix it with water and apply. Once it's dry you can oil over the top. (It can sometimes leave a little white residue, so just brush that off before you oil).
A.Peterson

Stoneyacrefarm

We used a product called Q8 log oil on our log cabin with great success.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Ljohnsaw

What is the coverage rate for oil finishes?  And would spraying be a viable option?  I will have very high ceilings - or should I plan on oiling before installing?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

tule peak timber

I used a cheap weed sprayer on my ceilings and then threw it out when I was done.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!