iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Temporarily assembling frame; waiting for ground to freeze

Started by TimFromNB, April 10, 2017, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimFromNB

Hi folks,

I am planning on cutting a pine or spruce frame for a 16'x20' cabin next year, starting in May or early June 2018. I am not sure how long it will take me to cut it, however I will be practicing myself on an awning this summer to get the swing of things. I will be cutting it on a shale pad near the road but can only bring it to its final location in the woods once the ground freezes (late november or december). I am scared that the pieces may warp too much from cut to assembly (max 6-7 months) and no longer fit together. They will be stored outdoors, under metal or plywood cover and mostly in the shade. How long could I store them before too much twisting occurs?

I was wondering if it would be better to assemble it as soon as it's cut, and let it sit until I want to move it (maybe 3 months), then disassemble and move to the woods. I will have to test fit everything anyway right? I assume this would increase the greying/staining of the wood from the exposure to rain?!  :-\

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks,
Tim

flyingparks

I recommend reading the Standard Procedures For Timber Framing board on this section of the forum. Should be at the top of the topics list. I read this for the first time the other night and what a wealth of information it is.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,9857.0.html

The issue you have brought up is also addressed. I also asked a similar question recently and got some good feedback.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,94895.0.html

Sticker and tarp them properly and you should be fine. Go through Jim's procedure of test fitting before raising day. Don't bore or peg holes until test fitting day. I'm not sure If I would put the bents together months ahead of time if they will be exposed to the elements. My two cents anyway. I'm not as knowledgable as some of the other folks on FF but I read this topics every chance I get to acquire their knowledge. I would recommend you do the same if you haven't already.

Thank You Sponsors!