iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How small of walnut worth sawing?

Started by D6c, March 07, 2017, 05:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Can't post pic from cell phone just yet, but I have about 25 free walnut trees ....
12-18".  How small of log / limb is worth milling?  Will post pics later.

ChugiakTinkerer

How much sapwood in those smaller limbs and logs?  I have no experience with walnut but isn't the sapwood scrap?
Woodland Mills HM130

Delawhere Jack

I mill a good bit of walnut. I'll down to about 10" if it is reasonably straight. I'll even mill short sections (4-5') of walnut and black cherry simply because the value of the wood makes the extra effort of securing small stuff on the mill worthwhile. Sapwood is a matter of taste. Some people want it, others don't.

esteadle

Sapwood in walnut is not necessarily scrap. There is a long history in woodworking of steaming walnut to force the sapwood to take on the color of the heartwood. See this article for example:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Steaming_Walnut_for_Color.html

paul case

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on March 07, 2017, 06:15:32 PM
How much sapwood in those smaller limbs and logs?  I have no experience with walnut but isn't the sapwood scrap?
Careful them there is fightin words around here. The midget doc and I both like the contrast of sap and heart wood on walnut.

The grading rules allow for 6' fas only on black walnut.I would mill all of it I thought I could sell or use.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Treehack

Well, let's see...walnut... Free...don't see a downside here ;D.  I'd say mill the worst log first and see what you get.  If you get some usable stuff, it only gets better.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Arkyrick

Small blocks are good for making gunstocks other blocks are for lathe turners and really small pieces can be used for pen blanks Walnut is useful for many things the trick is finding someone to buy it.
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

D6c

Here's some pics.....only cut out 1 small log so far and cut some limbs off most of the rest.

Brad_bb

It's worth it to me, but for you, It depends on what you can use or sell.  I prefer swept timbers (curved) down to 7 inches and 6 feet long for timber frame braces stock (sawn flat on two sides).  Larger dia pieces with sweep will yield larger brace stock. I typically get one six inch brace, one 8" brace, or two 4" thick braces from a piece.  I use forked pieces (sawn flat on two sides) for natural braces too.  Small fork are desirable as a center railing spindle, or forked boards as inserts in a door or a cabinet door.  Small curved pieces cut flat on two sides can be table legs, or braces in a piece of furniture. 

I love going through a pile like the one you posted.  If you have an artists eye, you cand find a lot of cool stuff in the branches. 

I personally think those guys sawing for grade mill a lot of cool stuff.  Granted many need the quick cash flow.  When I cut those live edge pieces, I often let the remaining bark dry on the stick, then draw knife it off later, leaving a cool look on the live edge surface.  Walnut can have a zebra like look from it's bark paper. Cherry is red spotted.

Walnut Bark dried on, then draw knifed, sanded, clear shellac, and light sand.

Walnut peeled green and aged 1 yr., then light sanding.

Cherry (bad lighting in photo, spots are reddish), bark dried on, draw knifed, sanded, shellac, light sand.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kensfarm

Brad those def. have show-piece live edge..  nice work. 

ChugiakTinkerer

Brad, that door is just gorgeous.  Nice work!
Woodland Mills HM130

ChugiakTinkerer

And I humbly eat crow regarding my sapwood comment.  I need some remedial diplomacy educatin'.  say_what
Woodland Mills HM130

cbla

paul case

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on March 08, 2017, 02:39:34 AM
And I humbly eat crow regarding my sapwood comment.  I need some remedial diplomacy educatin'.  say_what

Dont sweat it. NO big deal.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

John S

Love that beautiful door, great work!!!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

D6c

Got about half of the logs sawed out today.  Lots of variation in size and length.  Most had bends that dictated where I had to saw them.  Sapwood on most is fairly wide....I'm guessing because they're not real big trees and they probably grew fairly fast being on river bottom ground.

What makes the cut ends turn green like this on some of the logs?  The ones I see go green turn pretty quickly.....maybe 1/2 hr.  Strange    :-\

Brad_bb

Thanks.  That particular door is not mine.  I am doing it though.  Just didn't have a good pic.  I know the guy who made that door.  He's the one who inspired me to use organic timber.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!