iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor wiring.

Started by Jeff, March 07, 2017, 03:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on March 09, 2017, 03:59:16 PM
First cuts on a Petoskey stone.
That is going to look amazing when polished.  I have never seen anything like that.  Is that a mineral or a fossil stone?  If a mineral, what is it related to?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Jeff

I can see already it is an art to keep the stone from moving as it is cut. After a little practice, I was able to cut this nice slice of black puddingstone.

Magicman

:o  I can see that you are gonna get fancy!   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Hot glue the rock to something you can clamp, or glue shims to it for the clamp to grab?

I saw in a museum that our cranberry gneiss is supposed to be semi precious, feel free to come get all you want out of the garden  ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

It would be really cool to cut a bunch of them and use them as tiles, like on a counter top or shower stall floor.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

I've cut some rocks in half and used them as pulls on cabinets.... I'll get some pics of one in my shop. I used my tile cutting saw to cut it, this thing is way more cool.... I need one of those !!!!   :D 

8) 8) 8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I need to rig a coolant jug for the grinding wheels. It was gravity feed, with a port in the tray to recover. Problem is right now, Im not sure what they use in that. I think some sort of additive to water to aid in cutting, cooling, and breaking the surface tension of the water. With those wheels, I can them shape stone.This tool also has a wheel off the end to polish with I am guessing, as I have some pads and things tht go on there some how. I also have some other stuff in boxes that I am not sure what it is. I'm hoping some sort of glue for gluing rocks to sticks or something. I'll have to go out there and take some photos of the stuff to see if anyone has any ideas.  There is also a box of syringes. ??? ???

Ljohnsaw

On my DeWalt tile cutting saw, there is a recirculating pump like for a waterfall.  Not big and it goes as far away as possible from the saw in the tray so the grit has a chance to settle.  It is a vane type pump like you see in aquariums so only plastic is in the water to avoid corrosion.  You could have a 5 gallon bucket on the floor with the pump suspended a bit from the bottom so the grit has a place to collect.

But a quick route might be to use a garden pump sprayer?  That would give a good, constant spray.  If you set it up with enough hose, it could sit on the floor and you could re-pump it up when needed as you cut.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

JB-Weld work good on rocks.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

I'd think gorilla glue might work. A lot cheaper than jb weld.

kensfarm

Now you can make stone drink dollies for the Mrs..  interesting tables w/ stone insets..  or hot pot plates.  I've always liked rocks.. except the ones I have to pick up out of the field. 

isawlogs

I took time out to get a pic of that stone I had cut to make the drawer pull.

i used my orbital sander to polish it, it has lost some of the sheen with time.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Peter Drouin

I like that isawlogs, Good Idea,  :) :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

isawlogs

Merci! 

I was able to drill the back enough to sit the head of a 3/16 bolt and PLed it on , been there since.

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!