iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor wiring.

Started by Jeff, March 07, 2017, 03:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Several years ago I made a trade of Web work for a rock saw. It was buried in my little storage barn since then. It came without a stand but included a new motor the fellow purchased to run it.  I'm in the process of building a stand, but now I need to know what way this motor turns in order to build a mount for it. Any body know the correct way to wire this?. The motor didn't include aNY sort of pothead.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den Socling

Pothead? As in some smoker? As far as wiring, it's right there on the name plate.

Jeff

I guess I mean wiring TO the motor, not sure where the hot nuetrl and ground go to.

Magicman

"4" (where the blue wire is) and "1" which is right below 4.  It does not matter which incoming wire goes where.  If you want to you can connect the ground to the outside case.  There may be a lug, but probably not.  Sometimes there is a lug on the base itself.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I plan on wiring a switch to the front of the stand and wiring the motor to that.

Magicman

Be sure to switch the black (hot) lead.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

And, FYI, it is currently set to go CCW as looking from the pulley end.  Build your mount however you want and then set the direction of rotation that you need.  Nice motor - not all motors are (easily) reversible.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Most of the time on a motor like that you swap the blue and the brown
wire to change directions. I see that's not the case here. Looks like
you don't even have a brown wire.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

TimRB

Den Socling

Jeff

Messing around is what Im all about. I like to make stuff out of other stuff and come up with alternative solutions.  :)

Dana

The ground wire is the yellow and green wire in the 2nd photo. Usually it's located inside the enclosure like the other wires are but that will work as well.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Jeff

Well, I needed to obtain a wing nut and a couple hinges. Motor mount complete.  Tighten the wing nut on the countersunk carriage bolt to tension, loosen it and lift motor to change belt speed.

Jeff

I need to fab a guard yet for the motor/belts.
https://youtu.be/Vf1h-TCrrlI

Ljohnsaw

Nice.  But that is looking a bit fast for stone work.  Cutting maybe but the grinder I *think* you may want much, much slower.  What does Google say?
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Looks like 1725, and this is  1725 motor. In the video it is running on the little pulley on the motor and the big pulley on the saw, so it should be much slower than that I would think.  Running on same size pulleys should give me 1725

Ljohnsaw

OK, even for the grinding wheels?  I just noticed what looks like a ground wire on the rock sled.  I guess that guy was worried about getting fried?  I would hook this up to a GFI outlet to be safe.  My wet tile saw (DeWalt) has one built into the plug.
John Sawicky

Jeff

Not a ground wire. I'll replace that with something else. It is a cable that goes over a pulley and hooks to a weight hanging off the back. This makes the "power feed".

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Kbeitz

Be careful if that's a white grinding stone. They are not made to spin fast.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Burlkraft

I guess I should ship you some geodes now!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

HECK YEA YOU SHOULD!!!

Jeff

I started my guard today. I
'm using an old Aluminum skid plate from an ATV.

Jeff

First cuts on a Petoskey stone.

sprucebunny

That's really, really cool , Jeff  8) 8)

I have always wanted to be able to saw up rocks  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!